Spork Boards

Retro Geek

Cloudscout's Avatar Picture Cloudscout – December 23, 2007 01:49PM Reply Quote
I know I'm not the only one here to dabble in old toys and technology. What retro entertainment do other people enjoy?

Commodore
Atari
Coleco
Intellivison
Pong
Merlin
Simon
Betamax
LaserDisc
CD-i
8 Track
Windows XP
Etc.

bahamut – November 08, 2015 11:44PM Reply Quote
has anybody built a mame arcade cabinet? if it ever gets cold here, that is a project i'm going to take on with my son. thoughts?

Cloudscout – November 09, 2015 12:03AM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
I built one several years ago and I have another one that is in progress.

The one in progress is an old Gorf cabinet that someone had shamefully converted into Arkanoid. I have obtained enough components to restore it cosmetically but I'm going to go with MAME for the guts rather than use original Gorf system boards. That way it can be used for other trigger-stick games. I may even add a spinner so it can be used for games like Tron as well.

John Willoughby – November 09, 2015 11:30AM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
That is amazing. I hope it won't void my warranty...

Cloudscout – November 09, 2015 12:46PM Reply Quote
I ordered a CFFA3000 card which shipped out today. That should make my IIgs extra fun.

I really didn't know much about the IIgs back in the day. I used them many times but almost everything I used them for was actually just Apple ][ stuff. Almost nothing I did made use of the advanced capabilities of the IIgs. Over the last several years, I've learned a lot about them and can't help but wonder what things would have been like if they had continued down that path instead of the Macintosh.

John Willoughby – November 09, 2015 01:05PM Reply Quote
I'm in the same boat. Spent a lot of time with the //e and IIc, but never had a physical IIgs. I wasn't even a huge fan of ProDos. I get kind of lost when I run a IIgs in emulation.

bahamut – November 10, 2015 10:44PM Reply Quote
IIgs? Wait, I thought you were going to make a MAME machine?

IIgs? Don't get me started. What a colossal mistake it was to abandon Apple II forever. It would've locked schools into Apple forever too. What's crazy is that it's easier to run Windows apps on my Mac than Apple II apps.

Cloudscout – November 11, 2015 12:06AM Reply Quote
Yeah, I have too many Retro Geek projects going on right now. I had to pick up a new AV receiver for my den because the old one didn't have enough inputs for all of the stuff I have connected to it:

DVD/LaserDisc Combo Player
CED VideoDisk Player
Super Beta VCR
D-VHS VCR
DAT Deck
MiniDisc Deck
8-Track Deck
Cassette Deck
Turntable
Tivo
Fire TV

The new receiver has the added benefits of:

HD Radio Tuner
AirPlay Support
Internet Radio

I still need to get an XRGB-Mini so I can hook up retro game consoles with proper video processing.

Cloudscout – November 13, 2015 12:00PM Reply Quote
My CFFA3000 card arrived yesterday and I installed it in the IIgs. I have a 64GB USB stick in it with a bunch of disk images and a couple of HD images. I have a 32MB image for booting GS/OS and a 128MB image formatted HFS to store apps, etc.

This IIgs has 1.25MB RAM which was great at the time but is a bit restrictive so now I've ordered a new 4MB RAM card.

It amazes me how hobbyists have managed to come up with novel upgrade/expansion solutions for vintage hardware. It reminds me a bit of V'Ger from Star Trek: The Motion Picture.

John Willoughby – November 13, 2015 12:55PM Reply Quote
Or Nomad, from the TOS episode. Same thing, really.

James DeBenedetti – November 27, 2015 01:28PM Reply Quote

John Willoughby – November 27, 2015 02:31PM Reply Quote
I think that I still have my original copy, but I'll back out of pure nostalgia.

Jeff Cooper – December 18, 2015 09:49PM Reply Quote
Five years after moving in, I've finally got my basement into something resembling the shape I'd originally hoped it would be, which means that my Mac Museum is finally up and running. Left to right:

Macintosh 512Ke (not my original, which I sold in 1989; I bought this one in the early 2000s for under $100--it's the only non-functional one in the bunch).
PowerBook G4 17"/1.67 GHz, running Tiger (the fastest PowerBook ever, and still very usable for basic stuff).
Performa 575, running System 7.1 (the last stable version of System 7).
iMac 20"/2.16 GHz, running Snow Leopard (the 2006 model, purchased with the assistance of Mighty Mouse--remember him?--in early 2007; this was my primary home computer for five years and may be my favorite desktop ever).
iMac 27"/3.1 GHz, running Mavericks (2011 model, with Firewire 800 drives attached for Time Machine and iTunes library).
Macintosh SE with massive 40 MB LaCie external hard drive, running System 6.0.3 (my computer through the last two years of law school and for a couple of years thereafter; still runs, with a surprisingly loud fan).
Apple 17" Studio Display, connected to a Power Mac Cube with a 1.2 GHz G4 upgrade card, running Panther (off the righthand side of the picture).

Not pictured, a bunch of laptops: PowerBook 540 running System 7.6.1, PowerBook 540c with 183 MHz G3 upgrade card running System 8.0, PowerBook 3400/200 running System 8.1, PowerBook G3/500 (Pismo) running Jaguar, iBook G4 1.2 GHz running Tiger (this one is barely functional after years of abuse at the hands of my children).

Do I need all of these? Of course not. Only three of them (the two iMacs and the 17" PowerBook) get turned on more than once every six months or so, and only one (the big iMac) gets used regularly. But they're fun to have, and it's fun every now and then to walk down memory lane and see how things have changed over the years.

bahamut – December 18, 2015 11:42PM Reply Quote
Nice!

El Jeffe – December 19, 2015 08:46AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
impressive, J-Coop.
I know where I can donate my stuff to locally!
You need at least a/one Mini.
How about a PMG4?
:)
ok, you've inspired me to fire up my PMG4. I mostly sit my drink on it now. But I don find my self when deep in thought, running my fingertips along its exterior surface, handle, curves.
Digging for cables...VGA... what ensues next is a complete once-in-decade throwing stuff away and cleaning the office! :) which also means, cut the dog/human hair off the roller bar for the vacuum, and vacuum this god forsaken floor! :)

boots, no picture.
there it goes.
nice jet engine hum to it.

Ok. finally tried the correct user/password combination!!!! geesh..
Now, what to DO with it?

johnny k – December 19, 2015 12:02PM Reply Quote
Love it, Jeff! I've had a Fat Mac in packaging for a while now - next year we'll finally have enough room for me to see if it works. Then, I suppose it'll be a clock? Anyone have an AppleTalk to Ethernet dongle? I don't remember how any of that worked.

Cloudscout – December 19, 2015 01:31PM Reply Quote
That's pretty awesome. I wish I had done things differently when I finished the basement in my house so I could manage a setup like that. Instead, there's no good way for me to set up all of my retro gear.

Jeff Cooper – December 19, 2015 03:04PM Reply Quote
Thanks, guys. These have been set up for awhile; there's just been so much crap around them that they've been hard to access. Now things are more or less as I want them to be.

Jeffe, I actually have a mini G4 at the office; it's my retro Mac for accessing old stuff there. It's attached to a first-generation 20" Apple Cinema Display. I've been warned (by she who must be obeyed if I want her to stick around) that I am not to acquire any more old computers, so this is as far as it goes when it comes to old stuff, I think.

Cloudscout – December 19, 2015 03:22PM Reply Quote
My problem is the huge assortment of boxed software I have hanging around here. I'm just too lazy to put together eBay auctions for it.

John Willoughby – December 19, 2015 04:21PM Reply Quote
Amazing, Jeff. It looks great. I am envious!

ddt – December 22, 2015 08:10PM Reply Quote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login