Spork Boards

Retro Geek

Cloudscout's Avatar Picture Cloudscout – December 23, 2007 01:49PM Reply Quote
I know I'm not the only one here to dabble in old toys and technology. What retro entertainment do other people enjoy?

Commodore
Atari
Coleco
Intellivison
Pong
Merlin
Simon
Betamax
LaserDisc
CD-i
8 Track
Windows XP
Etc.

John Willoughby – June 06, 2017 02:06PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
DPBD

I can't remember the brand of my first word processor; it might have been pfs:Write for the Apple II. You had to enter control codes manually to tell the printer to bold or underline text, but it was SO much better than a typewriter even with Imagewriter dot matrix printing.

MacWrite would have blown it away, of course, even in 1984. But I couldn't afford a Mac.

Mokers (Moderator) – June 06, 2017 02:17PM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
you can do an mx lookup on the domain in mx toolbox to get an idea of where the mail is routing. Usually if it is routing to Office365, the school has a subscription and they will be able to download office for their own use. However, it also gives them access to one drive and the free microsoft office online editors, for word, excel and powerpoint.

johnny k – June 06, 2017 06:29PM Reply Quote
Oh man, I remember tinkering with pfs:File on the Apple ][e. Think I made a database of my model rockets and one for the kids enrolled in my parents' school. Databases are fun, especially when they're integrated front/back.

ARL (Moderator) – June 06, 2017 09:40PM Reply Quote
My sister (back at uni via correspondence) was tying to use pages to submit essays exported to .doc format.

The upload process always scrambled the formatting so the references were unreadable.

So don't even consider relying on Apple's offerings.

ddt – June 06, 2017 10:30PM Reply Quote
Ulysses can read and save to docx, though I have no idea how it handles track changes (I suspect it doesn't); it also handles PDF and Markdown easily. There is still no good collaborative writing tool, though Dropbox may do something with Paper (used to be Hackpad, which I thought was soooo much better than google docs).

ddt

Cloudscout – June 06, 2017 10:34PM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
I loved the simplicity of MS Works.

bahamut – June 07, 2017 08:59AM Reply Quote
I hate anything that "exports to" … I want native file support for .doc and .docx and for godsakes it's open source, how hard is it?

Track changes is essential.

What boggles this mind is that nobody has taken Open Office, which does all that, and made something interesting out of it. Is it the license or the codebase preventing commercial adaptation? Take it, rework the interface, strip the whole thing way way down so it supports. Done.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2017 09:02AM by bahamut.

Mokers (Moderator) – June 07, 2017 11:44AM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
Pages does a really bad job of transferring any styles, so headings, etc, become really terribly mangled. I have told people in my office not to send me any apple files if they want me to work on their projects.

Cloudscout – June 19, 2017 04:09PM Reply Quote
Juiced.GS... a quarterly print magazine for Apple II enthusiasts.

John Willoughby – June 19, 2017 05:18PM Reply Quote
Should cross-post to "ProDOS a dog or just in need of a bitch slap?" thread. For all of Spork's Apple II users.

ddt – July 14, 2017 09:38AM Reply Quote
We may have a winner.

ddt

El Jeffe – July 14, 2017 02:34PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
interesting

James DeBenedetti – July 18, 2017 01:53AM Reply Quote

El Jeffe – July 18, 2017 05:21AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I just listened to SYSK podcasts about History of the Mac. Some quid pro quo details I was unaware of prior.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/techstuff/id282795787?mt=2

see June 9, 2017 or so. There are three parts.

Not sure his off top of his head math is right... I KNOW his explanation of stock splits is typically ignorant... but the exchange of $$$ for "3 day tour" of PARC I had not heard of before. Common lore I heard is Jobs et al got a visit and totally soaked it all in to COPY in a brief moment. I've never heard that they negotiated 3 days on-site for a piece of Apple stock/shares, before.

John Willoughby – July 18, 2017 10:33AM Reply Quote
Yeah, my understanding was that Apple paid for their tour with pre-IPO stock. A lot of the bashers don't mention that.

El Jeffe – July 18, 2017 10:36AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
the podcast/his analysis is bonkers, of course. 3 day tour now worth millions/billions if they had held on to their stock.

Cloudscout – July 26, 2017 09:17PM Reply Quote
I have acquired an old multi format TV and VCR. Now I want to find someone from the UK or Australia who can send me old VHS tapes recorded off broadcast TV in the 80s/90s.

bahamut – July 26, 2017 09:25PM Reply Quote
Nice!

ARL (Moderator) – July 26, 2017 11:05PM Reply Quote
Cloudscout
I have acquired an old multi format TV and VCR. Now I want to find someone from the UK or Australia who can send me old VHS tapes recorded off broadcast TV in the 80s/90s.

Before I did a cleanout a few years back I had a pile. Want me to look for blanks?

El Jeffe – July 27, 2017 04:06AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Something with Eric Bana.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login