Spork Boards

It's not You, it's MobileMe

Cloudscout's Avatar Picture Cloudscout – July 09, 2008 11:50PM Reply Quote
With the memory of iTools well-faded, .Mac heads to the history books as well.

file.php?4,file=58,filename=FarewellDotMac.jpg

El Jeffe – October 04, 2011 06:22PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
sure darn well better get to keep my email addresses!!!!

Cloudscout – October 04, 2011 10:18PM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
Yeah, I've had it that long as well... but I've been migrating away from it for the last year or so because I didn't want to keep paying for MobileMe. Now it looks like I'm going to be forced to either give it up or buy Lion in order to hold onto it.

dharlow – October 04, 2011 11:16PM Reply Quote
Yes your .mac address will be fine with iCloud unless there is a change in the next few weeks.

Cloudscout – October 12, 2011 02:16PM Reply Quote
I was tempted to buy Lion today in order to set up iCloud but now I've discovered a new irritation.

My iTunes Store account is set up with my sparby.com email address. My iTools .Mac MobileMe account is separate.

Now iCloud is supposed to integrate these two separate worlds... except it doesn't. If your iTunes account is separate from your MobileMe account, you have to continue maintaining them separately. There is no way to merge them.

Cloudscout – October 12, 2011 02:51PM Reply Quote
I think this highlights Apple's Forced-March mentality pretty well:

In order to use iCloud your iOS device must be running the newest version of iOS (version 5) and your Mac OS X device must be running the latest version of Mac OS X (10.7.2).

If you're on Windows, though, iCloud works as long as you have Vista or newer.

johnny k – October 12, 2011 04:00PM Reply Quote
Rumor is there will be a 10.6.9 update to do iCloud.

El Jeffe – October 12, 2011 04:54PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
there are mentions of the ability for Apple (support) to merge them. YMMV

John Willoughby – October 12, 2011 06:03PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
Yes, Apple is supposed to be in the process of developing a system for merging Apple ID's.

bahamut – October 12, 2011 06:39PM Reply Quote
Stupid iCloud won't send me a verification e-mail (to my gmail address!) so I can't sign up.

Losing iDisk? It was the only thing I ever used besides findmyiphone. Whatever for?

Meet the new MobileMe, same as the old MobileMe.

Cloudscout – October 12, 2011 09:14PM Reply Quote
I just tried going through the process to move my MobileMe account to iCloud and got this message:

Please try again later.

Due to high demand, we are unable to move your account at this time.
You can continue to use MobileMe.

Jeff Cooper – October 12, 2011 09:16PM Reply Quote
johnny k
Rumor is there will be a 10.6.9 update to do iCloud.

It would be nice, as I'd much rather stick with Snow Leopard on the iMac that manages my iTunes and iPhoto libraries. But we haven't heard anything more about Snow Leopard compatibility for iCloud since that one rumor in late August, have we?

This iMac has a fairly recent and clean install of Snow Leopard, and doesn't do much besides manage my media, so I guess it wouldn't be terribly painful to move it to Lion (don't want to say "upgrade"). I'd rather not, though.

Cloudscout – October 12, 2011 09:19PM Reply Quote
Okay, finally got it to go on the fourth try... except I keep getting error messages. The message dialog boxes are all iOS-style, too.

John Willoughby – October 13, 2011 01:34AM Reply Quote
Fun fact, not revealed in any of the FAQ's that I saw: iCloud on Windows will only sync your bookmarks to Internet Explorer. No Safari. I wonder if Safari on Windows is going away soon. But it will be a pain in the ass not being able to sync Reading List across my platforms.

bahamut – October 13, 2011 06:25PM Reply Quote
Anyone think Steve kicked to avoid having to live through mobileme again? iCloud is utterly irredeemable so far.

I now have 3 mutually incompatible Apple accounts.

1 for itunes
1 for me.com
1 for purchases on the apple store / icloud

Now that icloud supercedes these but doesn't merge them, the juggling becomes ever harder. C'mon people how hard is this? Am I an unusual case? Likely. But I bet that heavy Apple ecosystem users are more likely to have more rather fewer.

iCloud does nothing interesting so far. It's a waste of Apple money. I say this as a part stakeholder in the company so it is a waste of my money.

Why can't they just do a version of google apps done right? gmail/calendar/photo/docs? that's the cloud that i use duudez.

tomierna (Admin) – October 13, 2011 07:45PM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
I'm going to be eagerly awaiting some sort of merge, or at least multi-muxxed login from iCloud.

I'm in a similar bind to CS and baha - I have one account which I've been buying my content on and one which was my official me.com account. The one I buy content with is also linked to my developer account.

Sigh.

ARL (Moderator) – October 13, 2011 11:54PM Reply Quote
Don't blame Steve for that one. I still love this quote:

Mr. Jobs reportedly asked the assembled engineers and other MobileMe team members, “Can anyone tell me what MobileMe is supposed to do?” When one of those employees then volunteered a satisfactory answer, Mr. Jobs followed up with, “So why the fuck doesn’t it do that?”

All the way back to iTools Apple has never had a good "online strategy".

Their strength is software and hardware - not this nebulous cloud stuff...

El Jeffe – October 14, 2011 04:30AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
maybe this time they'll get their post-card strategy back on track. (tic)

John Willoughby – October 19, 2011 04:31PM Reply Quote

El Jeffe – October 19, 2011 06:50PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Anything new on PING, I wonder?
That went no where fast, imo.

johnny k – October 19, 2011 09:51PM Reply Quote
At least they are working on it. I'd just like to not have my main Apple ID be the former work email address I inexplicably chose.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login