Spork Boards

Sporkers Helping Sporkers

tomierna's Avatar Picture tomierna (Admin) – December 08, 2007 01:51AM Reply Quote
Well, why not? this is a community, after all.

El Jeffe – November 08, 2017 08:39PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I have about ten iPods, iPhones, android phones 4 inches from this keyboard.
I like the physical, simple nature.

but... I think I've narrowed it down to it must be a file/data issue. more to come later....
But I also might have become the high bidder on a replacement. Oh well... PACE - primary/alternative/continency/emergency (plans)

ddt – November 08, 2017 09:57PM Reply Quote
That's what the Genius I met with at the Apple store does! iPhone 4S 4ever.

Okay, local geniuses. Definitive and idiot's guide to clean install Mac OS migration, preferably updated for High Sierra (which is causing all sorts of problems)????

ddt

El Jeffe – November 09, 2017 05:00AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I just started doing two monitors again, now that dell got me my monitor after 5 months. What is up with not being able to span like Safari across two screens? It fades out until it's completely dragged to one side or another.

ddt – November 09, 2017 12:37PM Reply Quote
Is there an easy way to determine which of the million items in your keychain is preventing you from being able to access the Export menu item in Keychain Access? (I'm guessing not, but have to ask.)

ddt

porruka (Admin) – November 09, 2017 01:19PM Reply Quote
Failure is pre-greatness.
El Jeffe
I just started doing two monitors again, now that dell got me my monitor after 5 months. What is up with not being able to span like Safari across two screens? It fades out until it's completely dragged to one side or another.

"It's a feature" introduced at 10.9 IIRC.

Disable "Displays have separate Spaces" in Mission Control preferences to return to the "old" behavior.

(One of many links describing this: https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/114449/macosx-maverick-10-9-how-do-i-stretch-a-window-across-both-of-my-dual-screens/114450 - also suggests needing to log out and back in to take effect)

porruka (Admin) – November 09, 2017 01:21PM Reply Quote
ddt
Is there an easy way to determine which of the million items in your keychain is preventing you from being able to access the Export menu item in Keychain Access? (I'm guessing not, but have to ask.)

ddt

https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?t=501234
https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/245910/export-keychain-items-is-not-enabled-from-file-menu-of-keychain-access

ddt – November 09, 2017 01:56PM Reply Quote
Thanks!

Another question: how does one reformat and configure an existing Time Capsule and does it need to be APFS to work with High Sierra? Seeing conflicting articles.

ddt

El Jeffe – November 09, 2017 07:47PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
wow. cable. I used a new cable. Syncs and works.

El Jeffe – November 09, 2017 08:12PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
oh NO! I did the monitor/spaces thing. And then I only had the menu AND dock on ONE Monitor (only). So, I set it back. But the menu/dock did NOT return to BOTH monitors. Now I am sad. I loved having it on both monitors. :(

ddt – November 09, 2017 09:48PM Reply Quote
Erased a 2TB USB external drive, set it up as a fresh Time Machine target, attached directly to laptop (by USB). Half a day later, 20BG into a 410GB backup.

ddt

Benton Ellis – November 10, 2017 09:26AM Reply Quote
Do not mistake temptation for opportunity.
Maybe this will help the slow Time Machine backup:

https://www.macintouch.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=798&pid=6542#pid6542

Benton

ddt – November 10, 2017 11:34AM Reply Quote
Thanks -- I'll give that a shot. (And I learned the up arrow trick in Terminal.)

What it doesn't say is whether I need to stop and restart the Time Machine process, or reboot, etc.? Not seeing anything immediately change in the Time Machine System Preferences.

ddt

porruka (Admin) – November 10, 2017 11:51AM Reply Quote
ddt
Thanks -- I'll give that a shot. (And I learned the up arrow trick in Terminal.)

What it doesn't say is whether I need to stop and restart the Time Machine process, or reboot, etc.? Not seeing anything immediately change in the Time Machine System Preferences.

ddt

Quick searching suggests that it is a live setting so it should speed things up. You _won't_ see any changes to TM prefs or any other UI presentation as this setting isn't exposed anywhere. You should see a general change in the speed though IF the priority of the backup process is the bottleneck (that is, not errors and/or severe fragmentation on the disk being backed up).

Depending on WHY it's being slow, that command could do exactly what it's supposed to and still effect no practical change.

ddt – November 10, 2017 12:11PM Reply Quote
Thanks, that makes a lot of sense. It took a day to get to ~20GB backed up, and overnight that got to ~44GB. Out of ~407GB. Haven't seen any movement from 44.22GB in the 15min since making the change.

Seriously, I feel like I'm doing the right things, but roadblocks every step. I am learning enough to be sort of a minor tech support person, but god damn, why is everything so hard? I mean, I might as well be running Linux.

ddt

Benton Ellis – November 10, 2017 12:14PM Reply Quote
Do not mistake temptation for opportunity.
Best way to see if that command is making a difference is in Activity monitor -> Disk where you can see the data read/sec and data written/sec. Toggle the throttling on and off to see if there is any difference.

Benton

ddt – November 10, 2017 12:30PM Reply Quote

ddt – November 10, 2017 12:33PM Reply Quote
Though I can hear the external HD grinding away (it's a spinning platter).

ddt

porruka (Admin) – November 10, 2017 12:49PM Reply Quote
ddt
Though I can hear the external HD grinding away (it's a spinning platter).

ddt

It may be doing metadata analysis which won't show up as active writes (and would fit your 'frozen at 44.22GB' description) since it's not writing anything. 'backupd' is the process to look for in Activity Monitor (use the filter/search box in the top right) that actually does the work.

Take a look at that under Activity Monitor and see if Bytes Read are increasing.

ddt – November 10, 2017 01:04PM Reply Quote
Ah, thanks. It was stable for a full minute at 41.50GB written/42.50GB read, then started ticking up to 41.50GB written/42.65GB read.

I'd hoped to have a quick new backup before I started the long clean migration march, as I really need to have a working, stable computer by Monday.

Still no more bytes written.

ddt

El Jeffe – November 11, 2017 06:36AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Something I do on my main mac is have TWO defined Time Machine backup target drives.
It would on the surface sound like adding time and complexity. But I wonder if the addition of another (Second) TM disk would get it jiggered better?
Or, might uncover an issue with one as compared to the other.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login