Spork Boards

Sporkers Helping Sporkers

tomierna's Avatar Picture tomierna (Admin) – December 08, 2007 01:51AM Reply Quote
Well, why not? this is a community, after all.

El Jeffe – March 06, 2008 07:22PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
one thing I noticed, I did not properly qualify my website name in one of the site's defs. And, the one site def without a name (there appears to be one by default) I had not enabled, and now I did, and now it just goes to the OS X SERVER default docs/page, which is okay with me.

Anything else I missed?

What a journey.

El Jeffe – March 06, 2008 07:41PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
okay, maybe I'm wrong about some of that. I can't really tell what mix of things turned on and off and such get me what I want.

What a journey.

Simon – March 06, 2008 07:48PM Reply Quote
OS X uses apache as the web server. It sound like you want to use virtual domains. I don't know how you would go about configuring that on server since I've only done it on client os x, which requires doing it manually.

bahamut – March 07, 2008 02:50AM Reply Quote
basically both jobs pay less than i'd think fair. and they know it. so they don't demand 40 hour weeks, there's a lot of telecommuting give, and i'm bloody efficient and have 20 years of experience. could i go find another primary position? yeah, but in other respects its an excellent job and will get better over time.

do i work 80 hours a week? nah? 60? probably. will i do this for long? no. i've got a desire to have a huge amount of cash in the bank, a couple with two kids in pricey preschool (it's not that pricey, nothing's cheap around here) and wife whose job doesn't pay well at all (she's part time and they pay her 12 hours for 24 hours a week of work... lovely... i love engineering). when one kid is in public school and i have my pile of cash, this madness will be done too. give it two years. since i've been doing it for three, it's no great big deal. is this good money? well, yes it is, not by steve's standards, but certainly by most americans.

crazy? i guess. then again, i come from an immigrant background and you know what, a lot of the people in my father's generation did the same. janitor by day, saved up and ran his own building in his spare time. accountant by day, cleaned carpets at night, worked in factory during the day, drove cab at night. plumber for big firm during day, plumber for little guys at night. moonlighting. well, i got no need to bitch about it. in contrast to what those guys did its cushy. just want some security is all.

re: os x server. i understand what you want to do, but i don't see how the hell you could do that without separate IPs for each site. now what you might be able to do is purchase a static IP package with say 5 IPs and then route them to your server and have it determine what you want. but it'd probably be a lot cheaper and better to just get a dreamhost account. or this might be cheaper, but your mileage may vary.... http://www.absolutely-free-hosting.com/reviews/110mb.php

tomierna (Admin) – March 07, 2008 02:55AM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
MacOSX Tiger Server supports virtual domains out of the box, within the admin app.

I'm running to a meeting right now, or I'd rustle up some screenshots.

El Jeffe – March 07, 2008 05:36AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I've got the various virtual domains working. It's just the I want ONE that shows the files w/o .html files having to point to them. So, I'm thinking to ENABLE folder listing.

and two, I don't want any of the sites to 'come up' when one pings any of the domains and just puts in the IP number.

What a journey.

bahamut – March 07, 2008 08:39AM Reply Quote
Yes, it does support virtual domains, but his problem is he wants to cloak where they're coming from.

Jeffe, what if you set up the default domain to be something else? Like make up your own hosting company or something?

What are you trying to hide? I don't get it.

El Jeffe – March 07, 2008 09:38AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Not trying to hide, but segregate. I'm unwise as to how anyone could hit the same server and branch over to the other sites, unbeknownst to the host(er).
It's not a big goal or issue for me. Just trying to understand how a web provider effectively manages that.

What a journey.

tomierna (Admin) – March 07, 2008 11:03AM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
To cause the server to respond with something specifically not the rest of the virtual hosts, you need to define a virtual host for the IP address, and place it at the top of the list of virtual hosts in the admin panel.

Since you don't have a static IP address, you can just put the following in the address field:

*:80

(or whatever port you plan on using...)

El Jeffe – March 07, 2008 12:27PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
okay. I thought about that. But, it did not allow me to enter the asterisk in the domain name. Do you know where it goes or where one can put it?

What a journey.

stan adams – March 07, 2008 12:57PM Reply Quote
the LISTEN directive in http.conf

bahamut – March 10, 2008 12:37AM Reply Quote
new macbook pro arriving tomorrow. thought maybe it best to get virgin RAM. 4gb crucial is only $101.00. Apple wanted $400 for 2gb extra. Incredible.

is CRUCIAL the best still? is it what apple uses?

Dr Phred (Moderator) – March 10, 2008 08:34AM Reply Quote
owned by the mothership.
Well, most often Micron, but they own Crucial.

Cloudscout – March 10, 2008 11:22AM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
I have a bunch of rules set up in Mail.app to sort some of my incoming messages into folders and to play a sound for certain messages. It does the sorting just fine but it doesn't play the sound consistently. I have a folder for messages from my mom and I have it automatically move incoming messages from her into that folder and have it play a chime except sometimes it seems to get stuck or something, for example, I received a message from her a half hour ago and it showed up in the right folder but the chime didn't play. I responded to the email and as soon as I hit send, it played the "swoosh" sound and then played the chime sound. Anybody else seen this?

Madaracs – March 10, 2008 11:40AM Reply Quote
Ooh! Scary! Scary! Don't we look mean? You can't see me! But I can see you!
stan adams
I dunno -- there a lot of debates on what constitutes "reasonable" for backups

Reasonable for an end user should be user definable. End of story.

Corporate policy is a whole 'nother amnimal.

Madaracs – March 10, 2008 11:42AM Reply Quote
Cloudscout
I responded to the email and as soon as I hit send, it played the "swoosh" sound and then played the chime sound. Anybody else seen this?

Don't you mean hear? ;-)

stan adams – March 10, 2008 11:47AM Reply Quote
Madaracs
Reasonable for an end user should be user definable. End of story.

Corporate policy is a whole 'nother amnimal.

I sometimes forget that there are times when I am neither "managing policies for others" or "being managed by the policies of others"...

(and as the computers at home are also either for/owned by by wife and kids the same things apply)

{now that I think of it could say the same thing about my life in general...}

Madaracs – March 10, 2008 12:51PM Reply Quote
Yeah, I try that with my wife and get smacked down all the time. But I like it so it doesn't matter.

bahamut – March 10, 2008 06:08PM Reply Quote
Whops! Apple Ram isn't Micron anymore. It's Samsung. I understand Micron is still better?

So i decided to move forward with this virgin system folks...

Xbench of 131.34 vs. 113.96 for my 2.33.
Some stuff makes a big difference though: thread test: 301.96 vs. 189.57 and memory test is 172.65 vs. 129.38. Warcraft sure looks better and the 1920 screen is fabulous.

I love not having all the cruft in there... so how do i keep this system clean.

Some specific questions. Is Suitcase good or bad? I could install it and have it turn off a bunch of the fonts I don't use, but maybe it slows down my system more than it does good.

How about installing my brother TWAIN driver? That spews shit pc style everywhere. any thoughts on how to install just the driver so i can use it with acrobat to scan large documents?

How about the Logitech driver for my mouse? It is APE free finally, but I'm still concerned. On the other hand, losing half the functionality of the mouse sucks.

Mokers (Moderator) – March 10, 2008 06:18PM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
I wonder if you could install the OS on an external hard drive that has those drivers, and boot into it only when you really need to scan. That's what I would do if I thought the drivers were fucking the rest of the system.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login