Spork Boards

Local Unmentionables: Notes on YOUR corner of the world

tomierna's Avatar Picture tomierna (Admin) – December 08, 2007 01:50AM Reply Quote
Hell, it was a popular icebreaker on the ancien boards ...

Get up close and personal with excruciating details of your quotidien
existence!

How's your dirty laundry?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2007 02:44AM by tomierna.

John Willoughby – June 17, 2017 11:43PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
I think that the next couple of decades are going to see a lot of locales that have traditionally done without air conditioning changing their thinking.

El Jeffe – June 18, 2017 07:51PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
sorry. one room with a cheap, $100 a/c window unit might suffice.

Cloudscout – June 27, 2017 02:33PM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
Not sure where to put this...

Apparently Micro Center has been having "network issues" since Sunday night. Their website has been down and since the phone systems for all of their stores are centralized, nobody can call them either.

They've posted on social media that stores are open but it sounds like transactions are being processed manually and check out lines in their stores are brutally long on GOOD days.

Someone's getting fired.

dharlow – June 27, 2017 03:11PM Reply Quote
Ouch, just discovered them two weekends ago (they are an hour way drive) but the place was awesome.

John Willoughby – June 27, 2017 03:12PM Reply Quote

Cloudscout – June 27, 2017 03:31PM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
That was my first thought but it sounds like this started before that new ransomware was unleashed.

John Willoughby – June 27, 2017 03:35PM Reply Quote
Maybe they're pioneers! Or, also possible, they contracted one of the many other species of malware out there.

John Willoughby – July 03, 2017 12:04PM Reply Quote
So proud of my former state, casting off even the illusion of giving a shit about fact-based science. And the great part is that half the state will be underwater in fifty years.

ddt – July 03, 2017 12:35PM Reply Quote
Where can I send money to support those who want to challenge what gets taught about Christmas and Christianity? Seems to be covered by the law.

ddt

johnny k – July 03, 2017 12:36PM Reply Quote
If anyone can challenge any part of the curriculum, can I challenge whatever these people want to inject into it, so the kids will just have to spend all day sitting quietly?

I get why some corporations may want people to ignore climate change, but are all the people objecting are doing so for religious reasons? I can't imagine. Perhaps it's a fear that it's a scheme to increase government intrusion. Or is it more a need for blinders to impending disaster to stay sane?

ddt – July 03, 2017 12:41PM Reply Quote
I think you're getting at it. It's not science per se, nor climate change, but that both of those have been impediments to major GOP donors, who help support ecosystems (ironically) that build and support narratives that tie climate change and science to the "they're not on your side, good people" (where "good" is tied to religion). It's not n-dimensional chess, it's simple teambuilding. Like how people, when asked about the elements of Obamacare, overwhelmingly were supportive, but when asked about Obamacare, said they thought it was the work of Satan. Again, it's depressing to read, but Jane Mayer's "Dark Money" documents all this through primary-source documentation.

ddt

John Willoughby – July 03, 2017 01:20PM Reply Quote
I think that it's a tie-in with the pernicious belief in "liberal colleges" corrupting our youth (in reality, the sheltered children of conservatives being exposed to rational, open-minded thinking for the first time). They've converted that into a general contempt for any fact-based education that might challenge the beliefs that they are comfortable with. Education costs the GOP votes. Therefore, education is to be eliminated.

ddt – July 03, 2017 01:22PM Reply Quote
Adding: look at how election integrity is seen as a partisan issue by the right. Reducing access to the polls is cast as "there's yooooge fraud!"; this just haaaaapens to shore up Republican candidates. Let's not get into any both-sides-do-it-ism; can we not disenfranchise populations in general?

ddt

John Willoughby – July 03, 2017 01:34PM Reply Quote
They're really looking to go full robber-baron. And we can't blame it on Trump... this has been the GOP goal for decades.

John Willoughby – July 11, 2017 10:33AM Reply Quote
Hey, Apple Maps now includes public transit in my town. Maybe someday I will use it. (Not exactly convenient to my home.)

John Willoughby – July 11, 2017 02:34PM Reply Quote
Road to California closed by forest fire. Grocery stores already running out of a lot of things. Dammit.

ddt – July 11, 2017 03:42PM Reply Quote
Hope everyone stays safe and okay.

ddt

John Willoughby – July 12, 2017 12:14AM Reply Quote
The supply line to California has been re-opened. Now what am I going to do with my hoard of Oreos and Fritos? Sleep on them like Smaug, probably...

johnny k – July 17, 2017 12:53PM Reply Quote
Just came back from a week camping in Yellowstone. Awesome time, especially when laying back in a hammock with my wife and beer with no Internet and the kids off playing with cousins. What a great resource we have in our country. Didn't realize it was the first national park.

John Willoughby – July 17, 2017 02:58PM Reply Quote
Just don't damage the trees; they've been optioned by Weyerhaeuser.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login