Spork Boards

Local Unmentionables: Notes on YOUR corner of the world

tomierna's Avatar Picture tomierna (Admin) – December 08, 2007 01:50AM Reply Quote
Hell, it was a popular icebreaker on the ancien boards ...

Get up close and personal with excruciating details of your quotidien
existence!

How's your dirty laundry?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2007 02:44AM by tomierna.

Cloudscout – May 19, 2017 12:43PM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
If you need shelves to hold vinyl records and/or LaserDiscs, their KALLAX units are the best option.

ddt – May 19, 2017 01:48PM Reply Quote
I have no idea about these things of which you speak.

ddt

El Jeffe – May 19, 2017 05:00PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
you must have been an RCA video disc kinda guy?

ARL (Moderator) – May 19, 2017 06:46PM Reply Quote
There was talk of IKEA setting up standalone cafes just for the "IKEA food experience".

Mediocre IKEA meatballs - shudder...

Cloudscout – May 19, 2017 09:01PM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
True, but I could bankrupt them with the all-you-can-drink Lingonberry Juice.

ARL (Moderator) – May 22, 2017 09:09AM Reply Quote
I may be suing someone shortly about wheelchair access. Not because their establishment isn't accessible (good god I'd need to sue half of Australia in that case).

No, I'm suing them because they renovated recently and their premises were accessible (and a jolly nice place to visit - yes it's a bar) - but then they did some further renovations that completely buggered that up. Both times it's clear they paid no attention to the relevant standards (it was sheer accident they got it right the first time) and the council just waved it through. So I'll be suing the council too.

Disability discrimination in Australia is something that's not policed by a statutory body in Australia - it's passive legislation. Someone has to take legal action (and risk court costs)to enforce the law.

Fuck em all. I sue.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2017 09:10AM by ARL.

El Jeffe – May 25, 2017 07:16AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Hate 25 hour days.
this feels like it might the the start of another 25 hour day.

El Jeffe – May 26, 2017 03:40PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Just installed ecobee3 thermostat. I like loved the installation materials, booklet, app, and on-device help. Very very nicely done. I can't imagine a better first time user experience.
Also, got two WEMO switches. Two tries and could not get the thing to hookup to my wifi. Opposite user experience.
I have a RING PRO doorbell I love. And multiple ARLOs... but I'm going out NOW to buy a NEST CAM. I have three NEST smoke/fire/Carbon MON-oxide detectors that I like a lot.
As an aside, today's work milestone (I had a 37 HOUR DAY Wednesday!!!!) was that my project is success so far. I've instituted an improved RSA authentication scheme on our major financial systems today. Well, the test system. GOOD! Also for upcoming SCHTUFF I continue to go further and further down the rabbit hole of getting more and more government credentialing/clearances. More fingerprints, photos, investigatory footwork.... I had SeeKrit clearance before this job, but honestly, some of the stuff for less important than DoD clearance is diving DEEPER into the folds.

johnny k – May 27, 2017 09:02PM Reply Quote
Man, I thought I liked ducks, but geese make them look like the hive-mind idiots they are. Goslings actually miss you when you're gone.

ARL (Moderator) – May 27, 2017 11:34PM Reply Quote
The few Geese I've met are psychotic aggressive 'lil fuckers...

Maybe I just bring that out in people?

El Jeffe – May 28, 2017 06:08AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I've been doing a ton of projects around the house. Flint water crisis (son resides there), and subsequent research, has led me to install a reverse osmosis water system yesterday.
Here are my photos. http://imgur.com/a/8NgOl

Ducks, Geese? We have geese off/on this year. Not my favorite. Mallards are great. "Mine" came to my front door for some reason last week when the guy (that I FIRED) came to install the RO water system. Here is clip of them coming up front... https://vimeo.com/219267200
More photos of our recent ducklings and goslings over past month or so http://imgur.com/a/LyxA3

johnny k – June 01, 2017 12:25PM Reply Quote
Can't beat that mother duck, duckling in the water sight! I wish we had some handsome Mallards but we're an Indian Runner family. The geese are only mean to strangers - they supposedly can have a dog-like bond to people, so we're brooding them in my home office right now. Seems to be working so far.

The ducklings are standoffish, like a good prey animal. I'm their best friend, but they just give me the side-eye.

ARL (Moderator) – June 01, 2017 07:39PM Reply Quote
Maybe that's just their stink-eye?

ARL (Moderator) – June 01, 2017 08:00PM Reply Quote
DPBD!

Johnny, you're an Austin local right?

Your Mayor is a legend...

johnny k – June 02, 2017 12:09AM Reply Quote
Side-eye, stink eye, same thing here. Let me try this again:

Yeah, in Austin now. Decent mayor, better than the last one. Of course, the theater chain that started it in the first place is truly awesome. C'mon - one women-only showing at one location (to start), and they can't have that? This is just a taco shell for anyone to fill with outrage. We argue back and forth on these things when there's really nothing to argue about. It's all just a nice diversion from actual, boring, destructive actions by the government.

El Jeffe – June 02, 2017 08:23AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
those are indian runners?

johnny k – June 02, 2017 12:25PM Reply Quote
The pool of yellow guys? Yeah, they're fawn/white runners. Most productive layers — at peak we'd get .9 eggs/duck/day. Pretty much indistinguishable this young. The hatchery we got our last batch from gave us regular ducks instead of the runners we ordered, and of course we didn't know better until they (well, one) grew to full size.

ARL (Moderator) – June 03, 2017 01:48AM Reply Quote
The top ones (not stink-eying) are the baby geese?

On a tangent. Took my little Padawan to this today:

https://www.qagoma.qld.gov.au/whats-on/exhibitions/marvel-creating-the-cinematic-universe

She loved it but really, it was all for me that we went.

Fucking amazing doesn't begin to describe it...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2017 01:52AM by ARL.

johnny k – June 03, 2017 02:39PM Reply Quote
Yeah, those are the goslings. About 50% bigger than the ducklings. When we started them off together, they were those big assholes at a rock show that start moshing and trampling everyone else.

ddt – June 17, 2017 11:22PM Reply Quote
It was 106F today. Not IN San Francisco/Oakland, but 30min east of it. It's only too hot here, not stupidly too too hot.

And nobody here has air conditioning.

ddt

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login