Spork Boards

Local Unmentionables: Notes on YOUR corner of the world

tomierna's Avatar Picture tomierna (Admin) – December 08, 2007 01:50AM Reply Quote
Hell, it was a popular icebreaker on the ancien boards ...

Get up close and personal with excruciating details of your quotidien
existence!

How's your dirty laundry?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2007 02:44AM by tomierna.

ARL (Moderator) – April 21, 2017 09:14PM Reply Quote
ddt,

What a dick neighbour!

Is your car parked somewhere that annoys him?

Regardless, I suggest you return the kind sentiments

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2017 09:15PM by ARL.

dharlow – April 21, 2017 10:22PM Reply Quote
In most cities if a car is not moved every 72 hours it can be ticketed, note this is a city law not state. So for Oakland http://www2.oaklandnet.com/oakca1/groups/police/documents/webcontent/oak060513.pdf

ddt – April 22, 2017 12:16AM Reply Quote
Yep, Oakland law. And he's targeting me. At least half a dozen other residents have to park on the street and most of them don't move their cars every 72 hours. But now he's got city parking enforcement on me.

ddt

ddt – April 22, 2017 12:18AM Reply Quote
It's a law that really should be revised. Obviously the car is not abandoned, and HE KNOWS IT, as we have had detailed discussions about it. But if your first reaction is "it's good not to fire up your petrol-burning engine if you don't need to", well.

ddt

ARL (Moderator) – April 22, 2017 01:51AM Reply Quote
Mail the poo, ddt, mail the poo...

johnny k – April 22, 2017 02:53PM Reply Quote
Maybe you can find a reasonable person to talk to in parking enforcement. I'll bet they get stuck in between feuding neighbors frequently, and might flag this guy as a crank once they see you're within the spirit of the law.

El Jeffe – April 22, 2017 06:38PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I had a friend in college that basically made a case of harassment against a similar situation. Other side backed down once my friend lawyered up.

ddt – April 22, 2017 09:29PM Reply Quote
I've been trying to find other neighbors on the street who might be able to act as mediators. Next step is to call Oakland PD and talk with them ahead of time. I know they ain't got time for this shit, but I've seen this be very useful for a woman I know who was threatened with being swatted; when some MRA actually tried that, OPD actually already knew her and knocked rather than bursting in (which could easily have resulted in them shooting her rambunctious dog).

A lawyer friend has said that just moving it every 72 fulfills the law but that's still bullshit, if I have to live my life on that clock to satisfy his weirdness and anger. Maybe every third day I'll get up really early when there are spaces and make sure it's in front of his house for a day, then move it again.

In other news, volunteered at the March for Science SF. It was a pretty happy march, tons of kids really excited about science, no counterprotests. It took literally 1.5hrs for the march, which was not dallying, to fully pass my station.

ddt

El Jeffe – April 23, 2017 04:32AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
awwww.. I would have counter-protested. I NEVER get to do NOTHING!!!
:)

dharlow – April 23, 2017 06:38PM Reply Quote
We have the same rule, moving it a car length every 72 hours does fulfill the requirement here, or if it is moved during the day (say to go to work) and parked back in the spot at night that is OK too (parking enforcement looks to see if leafs on it/spider webs are attached to determine if it is being moved during the day.

ARL (Moderator) – April 23, 2017 06:45PM Reply Quote
ddt
In other news, volunteered at the March for Science SF. It was a pretty happy march, tons of kids really excited about science, no counterprotests. It took literally 1.5hrs for the march, which was not dallying, to fully pass my station.

So wanted to do that. Was sadly still recuperating. There was a t-shirt that something like "I can't believe I'm marching to defend facts" - wanna buy that.

ARL (Moderator) – April 23, 2017 06:54PM Reply Quote

ddt – April 24, 2017 12:48AM Reply Quote
I barely ever use my car (though today I drove it to Livermore and back for a bike race). I know at least three other cars in eyesight owned by residents who do not move them for weeks, too. I am the only one who has drawn his ire. He knows the car is not abandoned. He's suggest I move, or sell my car. He suggested that might appease him.

Will call OPD parking division tomorrow, trying to make human contact.

ddt

dharlow – April 24, 2017 01:51AM Reply Quote
As I have dealt with parking enforcement locally beware they will tend to side with the law, you should also make them aware of the situation though. I would be prepared to move it every 72 hours, though you should clarify with your parking enforcement folks how far you actually have to move it, in my area a few feet forward/back is enough.

El Jeffe – April 24, 2017 06:05AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Friend and I do something at work I like to call "DOSEY DO" (doh-see-doh)
But this came up in my YT recommended yesterday and they put he and me to shame. (me, right? :) )

MUST SEE : I am really unsure WHY this did not incite physical confrontation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CC_GPDCZVjI

So, find a friend, equally harassed, and dosey-do

John Willoughby – April 24, 2017 01:10PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support

El Jeffe – April 24, 2017 01:43PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I read that...

How
Of
Ten

>....
shakes head

MR HOW of Ten? (Borg?)

ddt – April 27, 2017 01:42PM Reply Quote

John Willoughby – May 03, 2017 12:28PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
This looks like the only way that I am going to get an ISP other than the local monopoly. (AT&T has fiber to Reno, now, but they are only using it to wire apartment buildings, not individual dwellings.)

ARL (Moderator) – May 03, 2017 06:42PM Reply Quote
Re: SpaceX

That's tolerable latency though...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login