Spork Boards

Local Unmentionables: Notes on YOUR corner of the world

tomierna's Avatar Picture tomierna (Admin) – December 08, 2007 01:50AM Reply Quote
Hell, it was a popular icebreaker on the ancien boards ...

Get up close and personal with excruciating details of your quotidien
existence!

How's your dirty laundry?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2007 02:44AM by tomierna.

tomierna (Admin) – January 30, 2008 11:56PM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
My dad was on local TV about Florida's recent homestead exemption tax changes:

http://www.channel10.com/video/16x9/?aid=54970&sid=72837

(Pardon the WMV adware. He's about 1/3 of the way in...)

El Jeffe – January 31, 2008 07:29AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
tliet - can you point me to some good english-language podcasts for your area/country/europe? Preferably news&talk, but if there are any others that you in particular like, let me know.

Ideally iTunes-available podcasts.

Oh, audio-only.

What a journey.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2008 07:30AM by El Jeffe.

tliet – January 31, 2008 08:31AM Reply Quote
Sure, try this XML URL.

I found it here.

tliet – January 31, 2008 08:40AM Reply Quote
Also, this is what tze Germans have to offer.

http://www.dw-world.de/dw/0,2142,9541,00.html

tliet – January 31, 2008 08:45AM Reply Quote
TPBD

My next door neighbours who run the site onemorething.nl (and are absolute Apple nuts) have interviewed Woz while in SanFran.

I haven't really seen it, but here's the URL; http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?i=22330764&id=74277845

Edit; watching it now and it turns out to be quite a delightful interview.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2008 08:59AM by tliet.

El Jeffe – January 31, 2008 09:12AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
coincidence: I'm listening to a SanFran podcast right now. Was listening to a dutch one from catholicinsider.com, from 2005 it seems. The guy stopped into "Social Grounds" coffeeshop in Amsterdam, and mentioned Adam Curry. Someone near me mentioned Adam Curry two days ago at work. Odd.

What a journey.

tliet – January 31, 2008 09:29AM Reply Quote
He's actually quite well known over here. In the late eighties and early nineties he was a popular DJ and had a weekly show on national public radio together with another guy. They were mostly known for their absolutely outrageous pranks.

El Jeffe – January 31, 2008 09:44AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
and he saw the light? There is hope. You married (ever) Ton? You like doing podcasts? ;)

What a journey.

tliet – January 31, 2008 10:15AM Reply Quote
Hmm, Curry was VJ at MTV at the time I just mentioned, I'm getting old. It was earlier than that, early to mid 80s.

No, never been married, although I spoke quite a few times about it with my American ex-girlfriend, mainly as it was the only 'easy' route for me to live in NYC or her to come and live here. In the end, we both chickened out I guess.

I enjoy podcasts but don't make them, wouldn't know what to put in them really. Although it would possibly be liberal whining I guess ;-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2008 10:16AM by tliet.

El Jeffe – January 31, 2008 11:38AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
hey, I got dibs on liberalwhiners podcast! ;)

What a journey.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2008 11:38AM by El Jeffe.

Ron Burns – January 31, 2008 01:31PM Reply Quote
"We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation." Voltaire
Bill, it's so obvious that you probably use it already, but this BBC site covers all their channels - that's a hell of a lot of output...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/podcasts/directory/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2008 01:32PM by Ron Burns.

El Jeffe – January 31, 2008 01:57PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Yes. My opinion is that the BBC is blazing a heck of a big trail with this stuff. I keep RE-perusing that list. But, I want to expand out to other english-language outlets.

That being said, I'm up on UK news FOR SURE. Not gossipy stuff, just news. Not POLITICAL stuff. I find that I LIKE to listen to news from the UK precisely because I don't have a horse in your politics. Here, I'm too militant in my standings! :) [no, really]

But, I will say this Ron, if you think there are certain ones in that list that you like or can suggest, please let me know.

I find that they are often times CAPSULES or abridged versions of their LIVE goings on. And, I find that their news snippets get VERY REUSED/recycled amongst the various podcasts. So, I can hear about this or that some 12 times a day, over and over. But, that's what the click wheel or whatever is for. ;)

What a journey.

Steve Cordova – January 31, 2008 03:25PM Reply Quote
History passes the first time as tragedy, the second time as farts. - Roy Edroso
Bill, I used this site a lot before visiting Italy. Podcasts and QTVR and now QTHD. All seem to be available via iTunes podcast directory.

tliet – January 31, 2008 03:31PM Reply Quote
Wow Steve, that's brilliant, looks really nice.

Steve Cordova – January 31, 2008 04:30PM Reply Quote
History passes the first time as tragedy, the second time as farts. - Roy Edroso
errm, i just use it to see what i am visiting. but thanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2008 04:30PM by Steve Cordova.

El Jeffe – January 31, 2008 04:37PM Reply Quote
What a journey.

tliet – January 31, 2008 05:48PM Reply Quote
Yup

tliet – February 01, 2008 02:45AM Reply Quote
DPBD

Our national Sherlock Holmes claims to have solved the Holloway case. All will be revealed on Sunday, in a 2 hour long special show on the commercial TV station SBS6.

Great way to sell a lot of advertising!

tliet – February 01, 2008 04:09AM Reply Quote
TPBD

Ron, a lot of those podcasts are for users based in the UK only, sadly enough...

UK-only podcast

The BBC podcast you are trying to access is not available to users outside the UK.

Many other BBC podcasts are available, and you can find these at bbc.co.uk/podcasts.

If you are seeing this page, it is because your computer appears to reside outside of the UK, according to its 'IP address'. There are a number of sites freely available on the internet where you can check your IP address and location, such as http://whatismyipaddress.com/.
If you are located in the UK but are still being blocked, you can use the link at the foot of this page to contact us.

edit; it turns out that the first few that I tried were, but clicking around some more resulted in many that were indeed available to those outside the UK.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2008 04:12AM by tliet.

El Jeffe – February 01, 2008 05:32AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I have NOT run across any that won't work for me. Just FYI. Remember, they also have direct MP3 files, too. SO, that should work.

What a journey.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login