Spork Boards

Local Unmentionables: Notes on YOUR corner of the world

tomierna's Avatar Picture tomierna (Admin) – December 08, 2007 01:50AM Reply Quote
Hell, it was a popular icebreaker on the ancien boards ...

Get up close and personal with excruciating details of your quotidien
existence!

How's your dirty laundry?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2007 02:44AM by tomierna.

tliet – June 19, 2011 04:49AM Reply Quote
Can relate to this, exercising seems to help me. I started running in February and can now run 10 km without too much effort. I always loath going but I like to finish and feel a bit better overall.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2011 04:50AM by tliet.

El Jeffe – June 19, 2011 08:38AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
man, everyone I know that runs or used to run, has had knee, foot, hip issues (usually in that order) eventually and no longer run.
I think (personal opinion) the bicycling thing is better for everything except maybe your prostate.

tliet – June 19, 2011 11:44AM Reply Quote
True. Knee problems seem to be coming at around 45-50. My wife started running with us about 2 months ago. For the first time in her life she ended up with knee problems (but then again, she started running after a 4 year gap, without much build up).

tomierna (Admin) – June 19, 2011 07:52PM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
Soup,

Try melatonin to sleep.

If you do try to quit drinking, make sure it sticks - each time you quit becomes harder according to new brain studies.

I have a friend that used to be 350 or so and is now 240 or so. He and his wife did it using a medical food program. I can find out which one if you are interested.

tomierna (Admin) – June 19, 2011 07:59PM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
DPBD:

I started running again about six months ago. I had quit because of knee problems and painful shin splints.

What led me back to running was reading about barefoot running techniques.

If you watch running animals run, they run on the forefoot, and their ankles are usually high. This is why a dog's back leg looks like it bends backwards.

By constricting your foot and ankle with shoes, you are prone to land on your heels, which then puts abnormal stress on the knees. The ankle no longer acts as a spring.

I'm running in Vibram Five Fingers, on my toes, and I'll never go back.

It also took me less than ten sessions to get up to 10k - far better than I expected, and far better than when I was running in expensive padded running shoes.

(Disclosure - I've not run in about two weeks as a result of a chest cold and ear infection that I'm still trying to shake)

Bruce Robertson – June 19, 2011 09:07PM Reply Quote
Melatonin has been clinically discredited as a sleep aid.

Simon – June 19, 2011 11:05PM Reply Quote
I want to try out those shoes Tom but I dont want to spend the money only to find out they don't work for me.

tliet – June 20, 2011 06:52AM Reply Quote
Those shoes look interesting, unfortunately I've got a few hammertoes which will make it impossible for me to use them.

tomierna (Admin) – June 20, 2011 08:14AM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
Cite please, Bruce?

It makes me sleepier than taking diphenhydramine (Benedryl) or doxylamine (the sleep aid in NyQuil).

Bruce Robertson – June 20, 2011 09:50AM Reply Quote
University of Washington med school study. Says my doctor. Have no further details right now.

John Willoughby – June 20, 2011 12:04PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
For some reason, doxylamine on its own doesn't work nearly as well for me as NyQuil. I actually use NyQuil as my over-the-counter sleep aid. Melatonin works as a sleep aid for me, but there are some sleep aids that cause me to wake up in the middle of the night feeling like I'm suffocating. Melatonin is one of them. I don't know anybody else who has this problem, but after a couple of incidents I decided that I'd rather be sleepless.

As for prescription sleep aids, Ambien makes me grouchy, Lunesta makes me depressed. Or maybe they both just amplify whatever I'm already feeling. Either way, they work for sleep, but I'm not super-comfortable tweaking my brain chemistry that way.

tomierna (Admin) – June 20, 2011 12:22PM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
Bruce, if you can find which study, I'd be curious.

The only UoW study my Google-fu turns up says positive things about melatonin and sleep.

Bruce Robertson – June 20, 2011 01:27PM Reply Quote
UW study I was told about was supposedly newer. Don't know anything else right now.

El Jeffe – June 20, 2011 04:16PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Toes shoes. I went into a bathroom the other day and someone was wearing those I could see in the stall next to me. Kinda creepy. Personally, I don't like things between my toes. I'm a socked-foot kinda of person.

Cloudscout – June 20, 2011 05:29PM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
Amen.

El Jeffe – June 20, 2011 06:19PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Oh, just saw it again... daughter also gave me a pocket-book copy of the US Constitution and said "IT's really GOOD".

Jeff Cooper – June 21, 2011 10:30AM Reply Quote
tomierna
DPBD:

I started running again about six months ago. I had quit because of knee problems and painful shin splints.

What led me back to running was reading about barefoot running techniques.

If you watch running animals run, they run on the forefoot, and their ankles are usually high. This is why a dog's back leg looks like it bends backwards.

By constricting your foot and ankle with shoes, you are prone to land on your heels, which then puts abnormal stress on the knees. The ankle no longer acts as a spring.

I'm running in Vibram Five Fingers, on my toes, and I'll never go back.

It also took me less than ten sessions to get up to 10k - far better than I expected, and far better than when I was running in expensive padded running shoes.

(Disclosure - I've not run in about two weeks as a result of a chest cold and ear infection that I'm still trying to shake)

Interesting, Tom. I began running again about six months ago after a seven-year break brought on by knee pain (and then my other health issues). I'm up to 4.5 miles now and have reached the point at which my knees are becoming an issue again; I may have to give these a try.

Running is the only form of cardio-vascular exercise I've ever really enjoyed. I need to feel that I'm moving; stationary machines just don't do it for me (although I do use elliptical trainers for about half my c-v workouts, to try to reduce the burden on my joints).

El Jeffe – July 11, 2011 08:27PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
For 'round these parts, today's heat was brutal. I think 110 index or even more.
So what'd I do? Worked outside - fixed barn door that fell off due to rotted wood.
I don't sweat much any more. But I sure DID TODAY!

ddt – July 11, 2011 08:32PM Reply Quote
Hydrate, Bill!

Well, it's been around 30C here and sweltering. We finally got kind of a monsoon this night. That's the good news. Bad news is, it's still hot and damp and the rain woke me at 3am after not an early night and I can't get back to sleep.

Welcome to sub-tropical Finland!

ddt

John Willoughby – July 11, 2011 09:02PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
Had a crappy day at work.
Came home and found that a sprinkler valve had been stuck open all day, turning parts of my yard into quicksand.
Spent an hour trying to find a valve that would shut the water off. Mud up to my ankles. Shoes' future questionable.
Closed valve.
Ruined my dinner.
Ate it anyway.
The INSTANT I sat down to browse the net and play some games, our cable went out. Phone, TV, and internet. Cable company "has many reports of trouble in my area" and is looking into it.
Posting this through iPhone wireless hotspot.

Some days it doesn't pay to get out of bed.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login