"Use your wheels, that is what they are for." - Hawkwind

El Jeffe – March 11, 2016 12:08PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Amelia test drives available for their GT3
WOAH!!
https://twitter.com/Porsche

El Jeffe – March 14, 2016 11:34AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
A few photos from Amelia Island Concours.

Again, second week of March. If anyone is interested next year.....

http://imgur.com/a/IJNqc

and revving a Jag on a drive VIDEO: https://vid.me/U5EF

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2016 11:34AM by El Jeffe.

El Jeffe – April 01, 2016 05:37AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Watched Tesla model 3 reveal. All CEOs since Jobs need to rehearse and be coached. Don't B-schools have entire KEYNOTE degree programs yet? Seriously.

John Willoughby – April 01, 2016 11:56AM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
Tesla 3 failed to move me. Tesla's burning through cash awfully fast to not ship until 2018. (They're saying late 2017, but they've missed all previous deadlines.)

ddt – April 01, 2016 12:21PM Reply Quote
I started to feel nervous and anxious just listening to Musk. Though not everything can be everyone's strong suit -- though there are ways to tailor the presentation when CEOs aren't good at that part of it, rather than forcing everyone into the Jobs role.

ddt

El Jeffe – April 01, 2016 12:37PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
the live feed was not good for me.
too much audience noise.
He really needs coaching/practice
and some fashion advice/sense
and galdarnit... a ship date.

johnny k – April 01, 2016 03:24PM Reply Quote
So other than our resident EV owner, does the Model 3 move anyone?

I'm not likely to ever get another car, at least not in the next 10 years, so I don't care either way. With 180,000 reservations so far, it might be that long before I could get one anyway! But really, that number says that Tesla has been doing everything right except price. And, er, profit. Musk has always delivered what he promised, if a bit late, so I'm not worried about Tesla running out of cash — if delays threaten, someone will give them the money they need to cross the line.

It'll also be interesting to see if the government carrots and sticks get extended. Would Chevy have made the Bolt if it wasn't for those?

ddt – April 01, 2016 03:44PM Reply Quote
It's in that awkward "I have to go find where I read it and vet the source" stage, but I did read that it's the other way around -- that Chevy's lobbing got the government subsidy for electric cars under a certain price passed or extended, which is what made a reasonable business case for Tesla to make a car at that price point. Now, it's also true that this subsidy has a hard dollar limit per company, and Tesla's been headed towards it, so with the current (no pun intended) state of regulations, it's possible that Tesla may hit that limit and later Model Hamburger Menu buyers will be SOL.

ddt

johnny k – April 01, 2016 03:47PM Reply Quote
It's likely that very few Model 3 buyers will get the benefit. Tesla's already near 100,000 cars, the limit is 200,000, and the Model 3 won't be available for 18 months.

ddt – April 01, 2016 05:19PM Reply Quote
In other news, can you imagine if Apple announced something almost two years in advance? I guess I could look up the time between Jobs' "we're introducing a music player, a phone, and a PDA" and the first iPhone launch, but I know it wasn't nearly that long.

ddt

Cloudscout – April 01, 2016 06:17PM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
ddt
In other news, can you imagine if Apple announced something almost two years in advance? I guess I could look up the time between Jobs' "we're introducing a music player, a phone, and a PDA" and the first iPhone launch, but I know it wasn't nearly that long.

ddt

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taligent

John Willoughby – April 01, 2016 06:28PM Reply Quote
ddt

ddt

I've read that, because Tesla will need more funding well before these cars ship in numbers, they needed to make a splash now to demonstrate customer enthusiasm and that they have a real product coming.

ARL (Moderator) – April 01, 2016 07:35PM Reply Quote
I'm moved, fwiw.

And so are lots of other people

And OMG, given it's in a similar price range, my god the chevy bolt is dog's breakfast ugly in comparison.

I am waiting for a tesla minivan though. And I think I'll be waiting a while.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2016 07:43PM by ARL.

John Willoughby – April 01, 2016 08:32PM Reply Quote
On the other hand, the Chevy Bolt will be available in a year and will have a warranty from a company that is more likely to still be in business for the lifetime of the vehicle. I want Tesla to succeed (I own a tiny amount of Tesla stock), but there is no doubt that their future is more speculative than an established brand.

ARL (Moderator) – April 01, 2016 08:39PM Reply Quote
The only question about Tesla's viability is whether it will continue to be a medium sized manufacturer of high margin luxury models or whether it will branch out across all price points and become a high volume lower margin manufacturer.

Short of a disaster I can't see Tesla disappearing.

El Jeffe – April 04, 2016 12:59PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Leased our car 2. 5 years ago. 30 DAYS in, the cabinets fell on it and ruined the front. I chose not to repair because who knows what else would happen?
Got it fixed and back last week.
Now WE ARE PARANOID we will harm it again after what amounts to $1,500 across three accidents/wrecks/collisions.

So, spent some time thinking of ways to make sure pulling into our garage is safer. Not sure I cracked that NUT.

Also, replacing rear shocks today on my van. You'll recall I did front struts few weeks back.

PHOTOS : http://imgur.com/a/xEXro

So, yeah, WE ARE ON SPRING BREAK!!! Oh, yay... work/chores/projects. :)

And oil change today, too.

(kids sleep until 1pm, wth!!!)

ddt – April 04, 2016 03:55PM Reply Quote
Cabinets fell on your car? Do you mean something like shelves attached to a wall detached?

I'm sure there are online tutorials for earthquake-proofing things like bookcases and shelves -- would those help?

ddt

El Jeffe – April 04, 2016 04:49PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Yes. Cabinets attached to garage wall pulled out and fell onto the car. I have video of it. And scary thing is daughter had walked underneath them 3 minutes prior.
So, I said, if I repair it one month end to my 36 month lease, something similar could happen over the next 35 months.
So, I've waited until the most convenient time as late as I can.
In the meantime, two other dent-worthy events (also captured on CCTV) have happened.

I live by this..

I make money
and fix all the things that break.

No other talents are needed for me to fulfill my father/husband duties, it appears.

http://i.imgur.com/fAjO13P.jpg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2016 04:51PM by El Jeffe.

Mokers (Moderator) – April 04, 2016 06:45PM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
that's scary jeffe. How were they attached to the wall? that happened to a friend of mine. hours before they were going to have a 5th birthday party for their son, one of the cabinets in their house (a rental) pulled from the wall, sending basically all of their dishes flyin, sending shards of glass everywhere. Was surprised it lasted even that long. some inspection showed that only three or four screws made it to a stud and the rest didn't even have drywall anchors...

El Jeffe – April 04, 2016 07:38PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
screws in studs. Now they are LONGER screws in studs.. PLUS > heavy duty shelf brackets under them. I can do chin-ups on them. Well, IF I could do chin-ups. :)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login