Spork Boards

Reciprocating Mass

rino's Avatar Picture rino – December 09, 2007 10:14AM Reply Quote
As started by Binky in land of old ...

Binky
A place to discuss your wheels!

"Use your wheels, that is what they are for." - Hawkwind

Cloudscout – February 25, 2016 04:05PM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
They didn't really have any other option.

John Willoughby – February 25, 2016 04:07PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
Other than to have designed a professional piece of software in the first place. Hard to do, after the fact.

Cloudscout – February 25, 2016 04:35PM Reply Quote
Maybe this belongs in Boss Bitch but it's relevant to this subject because it's a problem that doesn't seem to be going away.

I picked up the original iBook when it was released back in 1999. I also got an AirPort card and base station. I remember the first time I brought it into the office, turned it on and the computer prompted me to join the open wireless network we had in our lab.

Up until that point, the wireless network was only used for wireless Telxon scanners. We had it in our lab and in all of our stores. Nobody seemed to be thinking ahead to the idea of consumer-level 802.11 wireless devices so they didn't really consider the security implications of open access points. I wasn't personally involved with the Telxon stuff so the glaring security hole was a surprise to me. I immediately brought my concerns to our leadership who casually brushed it off because it would cost way too much to redesign and reconfigure everything with WEP (which was considered acceptable back then). Besides, what could the real risk be? Nobody used Macs anyway, right?

It took about a year before they learned their lesson. I had already left the company and moved to Florida when an external party finally noticed that all of these retail stores had unsecured wireless networks. It was front page news. I still had contacts at the company who told me about the urgent meeting that was called to address the problem...

A high-level executive asked something like, "Why the hell didn't we identify this issue earlier?!" One of the engineers responded, "Well, Sparby brought it up a year ago but nobody wanted to pay for the remediation at the time."

El Jeffe – February 25, 2016 08:52PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
lol. Yep. I have a list of things as well. But our infosec is pretty good at identifying stuff.

ddt – March 02, 2016 04:00PM Reply Quote

John Willoughby – March 02, 2016 05:12PM Reply Quote
Nissan has notified me that, since their wireless network supporting the LEAF is AT&T's 2G network [yay, lowest bidder], and AT&T is shutting the network down at the end of the year, support for the car's wireless features will be dropped at that time. Unless I want to pay for a new ROM flash and a hardware upgrade. They promise to pay for part of the process.

Given the speed of bureaucracy, this letter was probably mailed before they had to shut down their servers for the security reason that CS pointed out above.

I just enjoy the idea of telling customers who have already lost a service that, if/when it comes back it will be terminated at the end of the year unless they pony up some cash.

Cloudscout – March 02, 2016 05:26PM Reply Quote
"Hi, we failed miserably when we designed this service. We made it insecure AND failed to consider any lifecycle strategy. How about forking over some dough to help address the consequences of our profound myopia."

El Jeffe – March 02, 2016 05:55PM Reply Quote
What a journey.

El Jeffe – March 02, 2016 05:56PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
John Willoughby
Nissan has notified me that, since their wireless network supporting the LEAF is AT&T's 2G network [yay, lowest bidder], and AT&T is shutting the network down at the end of the year, support for the car's wireless features will be dropped at that time. Unless I want to pay for a new ROM flash and a hardware upgrade. They promise to pay for part of the process.

Given the speed of bureaucracy, this letter was probably mailed before they had to shut down their servers for the security reason that CS pointed out above.

I just enjoy the idea of telling customers who have already lost a service that, if/when it comes back it will be terminated at the end of the year unless they pony up some cash.

TomTom notified me of same thing.

John Willoughby – March 02, 2016 08:48PM Reply Quote
I wonder if Subaru has something to tell me. Fortunately, about the only thing that I can do with their app is lock/unlock the car's doors.

El Jeffe – March 03, 2016 05:46AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
John Willoughby
I wonder if Subaru has something to tell me. Fortunately, about the only thing that I can do with their app is lock/unlock the car's doors.

Is it starling?

STARLINK uses the nationwide 4G LTE cellular network

John Willoughby – March 03, 2016 12:46PM Reply Quote
I think so. It's useless, whatever it is.

Cloudscout – March 03, 2016 05:01PM Reply Quote
They didn't have the mobile data link in the 2015 models. That was new for 2016 so I never got to try it out. I'm loving the Uconnect service in my Jeep, though. It's nice to be able to start my car from my desk when it's below zero outside.

John Willoughby – March 03, 2016 09:18PM Reply Quote
That was the best feature of the Leaf's remote, as well. I ended up buying the Leaf for my daughter, its lease was up next month. Nissan ended up giving it to me for $9,000 less than the lease buyout price, which put it at about the Blue Book price. I guess that Nissan really doesn't want to be swamped with unsellable 3-year-old electric cars with fading batteries.

YDD – March 03, 2016 09:48PM Reply Quote

I guess that Nissan really doesn't want to be swamped with unsellable 3-year-old electric cars with fading batteries.
Do the daughters have an opinion? ;-)

John Willoughby – March 04, 2016 11:30AM Reply Quote
My eldest daughter is very ecology minded. She's always wanted the Leaf, as opposed to a cheap gas-fueled car, if it was affordable for us. She knows that she won't be paying for any battery replacements that may be forthcoming. I don't mind, either. If I have to pay $5k for a battery swap in a few years, that will still be less than buying her a new Focus or something.

johnny k – March 04, 2016 02:27PM Reply Quote

Wait, that video was a Fiesta? Ridiculous. I'd be happy with the bumper that can take offroading. Mine got loose from getting rear ended and dropping off a curb.

ddt – March 04, 2016 05:30PM Reply Quote
Yeah, I'm not sure why they had that Fiesta video, unless it's "Ford is into rally and has a racing team so wait until this team gets their gloved hands on a bigger, meaner rally car".

Wait, your car was rear ended and that knocked the car off a curb? Or was that two separate incidents?

ddt

johnny k – March 04, 2016 06:15PM Reply Quote
Two separate incidents. Second was my fault, pulling out of an unfamiliar narrow driveway at an angle.

El Jeffe – March 06, 2016 11:53AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I will be SORE tomorrow!
Never replaced struts before. Thought I'd give it a try.
So, that's what I've been trying to do.
The sway bark links nuts were as rusted on as I've seen. Hours trying to coax them off. Ended up hacksawing the part off. But still had to use a torch/flame to bust one of them loose where I could not easily reach to saw.
So the job has grown to include sway bar links (short runs of rod/metal with bolts at end).

PHOTO GALLERY HERE: http://imgur.com/a/wcDOf

Still a bit more left to do.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login