Spork Boards

Reciprocating Mass

rino's Avatar Picture rino – December 09, 2007 10:14AM Reply Quote
As started by Binky in land of old ...

Binky
A place to discuss your wheels!

"Use your wheels, that is what they are for." - Hawkwind

Cloudscout – May 02, 2008 09:39AM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
I finally did it. I rode the bus to work today. It takes an hour to get here instead of 20 minutes but I get to read or browse the Internet while I'm riding the bus and at current gas prices, it costs $1 per day less to ride the bus than to drive. And from a more tree-hugger perspective, if I do this every day, that's 7,800 miles per year that I'm not driving my car and 371 gallons of gas I'm not burning. That's two oil changes I won't need to get each year, too.

Madaracs – May 02, 2008 10:09AM Reply Quote
Ooh! Scary! Scary! Don't we look mean? You can't see me! But I can see you!
By Grabthar's Hammer! What a savings.

But seriously... that is pretty cool. Wish I could take the Bus!

stan adams – May 02, 2008 10:32AM Reply Quote
Public transit into Chicago from the burbs via traditional rail is about 3x faster than driving -- a total no brainer. The City of Chicago bus routes are allegedly going to get some upgrades to help speed traffic -- I doubt it'll work particularly well. The technology has existed for decades to get much better flows but the money almost always gets somehow misdirected in Chicago...

http://www.suntimes.com/news/transportation/921357,traffic042908.article

El Jeffe – May 02, 2008 11:23AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
so, you're in Chicago? Burbs?

Cloudscout – May 02, 2008 11:28AM Reply Quote
The state of our transit system is ridiculous. I've griped about it here numerous times. The gas prices have us at record ridership levels now, though, so maybe Metro Transit will get a clue and expand service soon. Madaracs works in an industrial park in one of the largest first-ring suburbs. There's no excuse for not having a transit system that would allow him to get to work.

Cloudscout – May 02, 2008 12:05PM Reply Quote
Madaracs, they have bike racks on all the buses. You could take the bus to Normandale and then bike the rest of the way... You'd actually ride the same bus as I do and catch the same connection. You'd just keep going after I got off at BBY. It'd take you 90 minutes to get to work, though.

I wonder if I could find a bus route that would get me to work faster if I combined it with biking.

El Jeffe – May 02, 2008 01:17PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
careful with bus bike rack - aka pancake makers

http://chicagoist.com/2008/02/11/busted.php

stan adams – May 02, 2008 10:49PM Reply Quote
I thought I told you guys that my mom's household helper lady was friends with that poor woman. God awful shame...

Cloudscout – May 03, 2008 12:04AM Reply Quote
Yeah. That story really made me cringe. Horrible, horrible thing.

El Jeffe – May 03, 2008 07:01AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
yeah.

Cloudscout – May 07, 2008 10:56PM Reply Quote
I mentioned in Reciprocating Mass that I'm getting an Electric Conversion Kit for my bicycle. I finally found a place locally that has them in stock. Unfortunately, they insist on installing them for you which I was hesitant about at first but it ends up costing the same as the other place would have charged for an install-it-myself kit... and they were out of stock anyway. The only real drawback is that it takes them a week to get it done. Oh well. I'm going to bring my bike in tomorrow to have them get started on it. It will make my commute faster than the bus.

tliet – May 07, 2008 11:06PM Reply Quote
In what price range is this kit? It says I need to login for the price.

Cloudscout – May 07, 2008 11:18PM Reply Quote
The "good" kit (brushless motor, more powerful battery) goes for about $600.

tliet – May 08, 2008 06:02PM Reply Quote
ah, ok, thanks.

Cloudscout – May 10, 2008 10:21PM Reply Quote
I finally went through with it. I dropped my bike off today for the conversion. It should be done in a week.

El Jeffe – May 10, 2008 11:23PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
if you'll just wait till 2010, VW announced a 230 MPG car.

http://www.motorauthority.com/cars/volkswagen/vw-boss-confirms-1-liter-car-for-2010

Cloudscout – May 10, 2008 11:27PM Reply Quote
Once I've learned more about electric vehicles, I'm planning on converting my 1982 Yamaha 650 Maxim. It's a shaft-driven bike which should be well-suited to an EV conversion.

El Jeffe – May 10, 2008 11:34PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
are you palming Li-Ion batteries from Best Buy's warehouse?

tliet – May 11, 2008 01:52AM Reply Quote
Bill

But next year a slightly more normal car will be introduced in the US by VW; the 60 MPG Jetta Blue TDI.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2008 01:56AM by tliet.

tliet – May 11, 2008 01:54AM Reply Quote
Bill

But next year a slightly more normal car will be introduced in the US by VW; the 60 MPG Jetta Blue TDI.

Hmm, odd that this post is marked as spam, maybe a little more text helps. Volkswagen had a 3L car about 10 years ago; the Lupo 3L.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login