Spork Boards

Reciprocating Mass

rino's Avatar Picture rino – December 09, 2007 10:14AM Reply Quote
As started by Binky in land of old ...

Binky
A place to discuss your wheels!

"Use your wheels, that is what they are for." - Hawkwind

Cloudscout – August 16, 2017 12:37AM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
Another potential candidate has appeared. A 2007 BMW 335i.

El Jeffe – August 16, 2017 04:32PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
you have folks?

ddt – August 16, 2017 04:41PM Reply Quote
Well, the kindly couple who found infant me in the crashed rocket ship.

ddt

John Willoughby – August 16, 2017 05:26PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
And they called him Dan-El...

ddt – August 26, 2017 03:50PM Reply Quote

ddt – August 29, 2017 02:54PM Reply Quote
So it looks like the insurance company is declaring my car a total. Not sure how long it'll take to get paid (I need to get a replacement title paper unless it's in the glovebox of my car, which has been towed to bumfuck 40 miles away).

I bought one used car for cash >20 years ago, one new car >10 years ago. I do not like the car shopping effort or experience. Anyone want to be my car buying mentor? Note that the budget will definitely be under $5k, probably lower.

ddt

Cloudscout – August 29, 2017 03:53PM Reply Quote

ddt – August 29, 2017 04:10PM Reply Quote
Thanks for the virtual shopping -- I'm in Oakland, so nothing requiring getting someone to drive me more than an hour would be best. Sacramento is way too far to go take a first look at something.

But you think using autotrader is worthwhile? That is, the prices are fair (markup isn't too high) and it's a reliable source?

ddt

ddt – August 29, 2017 04:13PM Reply Quote
Oh, and are those no-negotiation prices? I am so ig'nant on all that.

ddt

El Jeffe – August 29, 2017 04:14PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I am constantly shopping for cars. Hobby. :)
Drove Tesla Model X yesterday and it drove me, too.
AutoPilot is scarily NOT FULLY BAKED crap.
Could not believe how bad it was. Expected much much better.

El Jeffe – August 29, 2017 04:19PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
ddt
Thanks for the virtual shopping -- I'm in Oakland, so nothing requiring getting someone to drive me more than an hour would be best. Sacramento is way too far to go take a first look at something.

But you think using autotrader is worthwhile? That is, the prices are fair (markup isn't too high) and it's a reliable source?

ddt

CarVana is some new site that will deliver your car to you. https://www.carvana.com

Most dealer/salesmen I know love car gurus.

Go to a make/model OR RATHER a style you like, put in params, then select good or great deal.
THEN the real good stuff is pick something you THINK you like, and then select the PRINT icon from left side of that one listing, and toward the middle (downwards) you will see a scatter/distribution plot of like cars and price.
You want to be closer/closest to the x/y axis for best miles-to-price ratio, imo.

Cloudscout – August 29, 2017 04:22PM Reply Quote
AutoTrader is a good site for searching... once you see something that looks good, it makes sense to see if it's also listed on CarGurus where you'll get more detailed info on whether it's a good deal or not.

I didn't dig very deep into the links I shared, that was mainly to give you an idea of the sorts of things in your budget range.

Do you have any particular priorities aside from price? Hatchback vs sedan? Comfort vs MPG?

El Jeffe – August 29, 2017 04:23PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
last two cars I bought, and I've bought 4 in last two years, I started by saying I needed $2,000 off their asking price. The ones I bought, they did not balk/blink. They did that, and I bought them. This time (end of) the month is ideal.

If you want the best 'deal', imo, the honda civic and accord leases are dirt cheap this month. One dealer here has new accords for $169/month ZERO DUE. Just pay each month's payment's TAXES on top of that, and you're good. 3 years, 36,000 miles.

ddt – August 29, 2017 04:36PM Reply Quote
I don't think I could finance a lease or new car, not without a job. Jefe, I'm assuming you're asking money off of a new car or a lease.

I've been interested in the Ford Fiesta. I can't afford the sporty one, but still. The Chevy Bolt would be cool if a) I could afford it b) I lived somewhere where I could charge it overnight (street parking and I live on the second floor).

Something smaller than my old Mazda 6 wagon (2005), hatch, rock-solid reliable, good gas mileage, good storage space inside (bikes).

Thanks, I'll check out that research process.

ddt

El Jeffe – August 29, 2017 07:23PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
always worth a shot. those are fun cars.
TrueCar is also good. Has bell curve.

https://goo.gl/ABNNFq

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2017 07:27PM by El Jeffe.

ddt – August 29, 2017 07:59PM Reply Quote
Looks like older model years had transmission issues, and the infotainment system wasn't good. Trying to get an answer about warranties -- what's usual for warranties on used cars?

ddt

tomierna (Admin) – August 29, 2017 08:11PM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
ddt, if the Bolt interests you, check out the Volt. Used Volts can be had for $14-16k (2014-2015 LT models). You get around 40-45 miles of pure electric range, but no range anxiety because the generator kicks in when the battery is depleted.

If your normal commute doesn't take you more than the range, you can be pure electric.

You'll get HOV stickers too!

tomierna (Admin) – August 29, 2017 08:14PM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural

ddt – August 29, 2017 08:19PM Reply Quote
Thanks -- though at least half my car use cases are drives 50-150mi/day. I mean, when I use a car, that's what I use it for. Oof! I can get a new Fiesta (from a dealer, w/ GEICO discount, warranty), for the price of a used Volt.

ddt

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login