Spork Boards

Reciprocating Mass

rino's Avatar Picture rino – December 09, 2007 10:14AM Reply Quote
As started by Binky in land of old ...

Binky
A place to discuss your wheels!

"Use your wheels, that is what they are for." - Hawkwind

ddt – April 02, 2017 08:37PM Reply Quote
Halfway through the latest Top Gear and a) supercar on Laguna Seca, where I've raced my bike b) Sir Chris Hoy c) love that they filtered some shots of Mojave racing to evoke Fury Road color.

ddt

ddt – April 04, 2017 11:25AM Reply Quote
"How was the commute?"

"Oh, sorry I'm a bit late. Struck by lightning. NBD."

http://jalopnik.com/watch-this-moving-car-get-struck-by-lightning-as-a-remi-1793986882

ddt

John Willoughby – April 04, 2017 11:56AM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
That's teach you to swear by Zeus when you miss your exit.

tomierna (Admin) – April 07, 2017 11:27PM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
I bought a 2017 Volt in February.

Today I hit 2500 miles driven on it. I've used two gallons of gas. (And approximately 500 kWh of electricity!)

So 2500 miles cost me $55 in fuel, since the dealer filled it up for me.

If I drove those 2500 in gas mode, it would have cost me $150 in fuel.

It's a really fun car to drive. In sport mode, the 0-30 2.2 seconds, meaning I actually kept up with a Tesla getting on the interstate a couple of days ago. 0-60 is 7.1 seconds. Very punchy, even at interstate speeds.

El Jeffe – April 08, 2017 07:43AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
cool. I think this year is the year the dam breaks.
Hyundai ionic
Chevy Bolt-EV
Not long after, Model 3

John Willoughby – April 08, 2017 02:23PM Reply Quote
If I could buy a car now, it would be a Bolt or a Volt.

johnny k – April 08, 2017 05:34PM Reply Quote
What about another Leaf? If that smoking deal comes around again, I may go for it.

John Willoughby – April 08, 2017 06:10PM Reply Quote
For those deals, sure. I love the car. But it's basically a 2011 model that has only had a few cosmetic tweaks since then. Technology has advanced, and the Chevies are more attractive to me now.

El Jeffe – April 08, 2017 10:55PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
The Bolt EV is the one to beat right now.

tomierna (Admin) – April 08, 2017 11:03PM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
The Bolt wasn't available at the dealer I got the Volt at in February. They have them now, and I definitely want to test drive one.

I got a smoking deal on the Volt though - it was a dealer demo, and had 2300 miles on it. Sticker was $41,700 and I paid $27,500. They passed the $7500 Federal Tax Credit on to me as a discount, and then the rest was dealer discount for the amount of miles.

El Jeffe – April 09, 2017 01:21PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
very good.

John Willoughby – April 12, 2017 04:50PM Reply Quote

ddt – April 12, 2017 06:20PM Reply Quote
Ah: "The Bolt’s also not available at dealerships in every state just yet. And though the Leaf doesn’t stack up on paper against the Bolt, the Nissan EV might be outpacing the Bolt on sales because it’s available for 50 percent off in some places."

Seeing tons of them here in NorCal! I like.

ddt

El Jeffe – April 12, 2017 09:06PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
M Track Days opened up today.
https://mtrackdays.bmwusa.com

I did Thermal and Miami last year. It was FREE last year; $250 this year.
Lots of FUN!

LEAD-FOLLOW

Quite possibly the most thrilling lesson of your life. Instructors will demonstrate advanced driving theory in an M vehicle as drivers follow closely behind, driving both the BMW M2 and M3 - hitting speeds upwards of 100mph. Drivers stay in constant radio contact with instructors as they experience legendary racetracks. It's like tag, but with a few hundred extra horses.

FAST LEARNERS WANTED
M Track Days is the most exciting way to learn all the ins and outs of the Full M lineup - from the agile BMW M2 to the brutal 567-horsepower X6M - with unmatched coaching from BMW certified professional instructors.

INSTRUCTOR HOT LAPS

This is how the professionals do it. Ride shotgun as one of our instructors takes you around the track at speeds that are completely illegal anywhere else.

DRAG RACE/STOP BOX

Stare down your opponent and feel what 0-60 in a blistering few seconds is really like. And then quickly experience the brute force of BMW M braking systems firsthand. Obviously, goose bumps can be expected.

AUTOCROSS

This competitve driving session features the BMW M4, and highlights the vehicle's technology, agility, and safety features on a challenging cone course. The best final lap times move on to compete in the Ultimate Driver.

CLASSROOM

An interactive and informative 45-minute session where drivers learn what it takes to get the absolute most out of legendary M vehicles.

John Willoughby – April 14, 2017 01:33PM Reply Quote
It lives...

Apple’s secret car project may still have some life left in it. The company just secured a permit for testing autonomous driving technology in California on public roads, which is one of the first official confirmations that Apple is indeed researching self-driving technology in an effort to compete with Google and Tesla.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2017 01:33PM by John Willoughby.

ddt – April 14, 2017 06:13PM Reply Quote
I asked Udacity why they were also on the list. They said "We offer a Self-Driving Car Nanodegree Program for students + are building the 1st open-source autonomous car" and "The Nanodegree Program's capstone project has students apply what they've learned to deploy their own code on the Udacity self-driving car" -- so the permit seems to be required or cover even experiments that are software inside existing hardware.

ddt

johnny k – April 14, 2017 09:27PM Reply Quote
Was going to make fun of "nanodegree" but that's pretty cool to be able to actually run code on a robo-car. Given that it's just a nanodegree I wonder what safeguards they have in place. It's covered in pillows? Really small? In the Mohave?

ddt – April 14, 2017 10:15PM Reply Quote
I'm guessing the nano prefix modifies the degree program -- so obvs it's a teeny tiny school where you have to lie on your stomach and use a loupe to see into the miniature classroom.

ddt

John Willoughby – April 15, 2017 11:05AM Reply Quote
At least the class sizes will be small.

John Willoughby – April 15, 2017 01:58PM Reply Quote
Apple car article from MacRumors updated.

Update: According to Bloomberg, Apple filed for a permit because it plans to start testing its self-driving car software platform on public streets. The software will be put in existing cars, with the permit covering three 2015 Lexus RX450h SUVs and six drivers, according to a DMV spokesperson.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login