Reciprocating Mass

rino's Avatar Picture rino – December 09, 2007 10:14AM Reply Quote
As started by Binky in land of old ...

Binky
A place to discuss your wheels!

"Use your wheels, that is what they are for." - Hawkwind

El Jeffe – May 23, 2016 06:56PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I've been applying for and waiting for Top Gear UK studio audience tickets for YEARS....
and I JUST WON TWO (one pair!)!!!!
And it's same night my son graduates from High School!!!

THE UNIVERSE HATES ME!!!

I also sold my motorcycle and sat on the cash JUST FOR THIS DAY!!!

I'm really hoping he flunks some tests... yeah, that's it flunks something.! :)

El Jeffe – May 28, 2016 09:55PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
due to circumstances, (college, lease winding down) this is the first time/day that I've ever bought TWO CARS in one day.

2011 Camry and 2003 Highlander
Signed the agreement to purchase. Now, next week, secure funding. Both cars out the door for $14k.

Photos :
http://i.imgur.com/x1Nu2FS.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/24czhae.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ugoWavF.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/x1dTo41.jpg

ddt – May 29, 2016 06:26PM Reply Quote
So... the new Top Gear. That was a thing that happened.

ddt

El Jeffe – May 29, 2016 09:27PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I loved it. But I'm a freaking car fanatic, when time and money permits. :)

El Jeffe – June 19, 2016 05:21AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
So, again, got rid of one car (2013 Accord - lease ) and acquired two more very USED (READ: Cheaper) cars.
The 2003 Highlander I bought for my son to use at college in Michigan (4WD) is great except for one thing. Front has bit of shimmy.
First thing is to see if warped rotor > replacement might help. (NO, not really)
But the brake pedal with NEW rotors feels buttery smooth now.
Yesterday it took me like 30 minutes (adjusting for all the interruptions and breaks I needed. for one, I felt a bit ill in 90 degree heat in driveway) EACH SIDE.
I bought what I think is one of the best brands of brake rotors BREMBO... $92 for TWO new rotors delivered seemed GREAT to me.
Now I just need to take into to PROFESSIONALS this week to find the balance, or adjustment needed for passenger side, high-speed wobble/shimmy.

Here are MY PHOTOS from the new brake rotor job I did. Man I LOVE TOYOTA designed rotors. Easiest I've ever worked on!

http://imgur.com/a/HvwZq

El Jeffe – June 19, 2016 05:24AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
In addition to brakes, I upgraded his ASUS Laptop from slow rotational platter hard drive, to Samsung EVO SSD.
Again, the single greatest benefit upgrade I have ever done is to put SSDs into computers. Did TWO this past week.
Samsung is BEST in my book because of the data migration utility alone.
Need to clean up drive? I suggest and use windows:windirstat and Mac:Disk Inventory X (same program, essentially)
ASUS made some STUPID design decisions internally, imo. They actually have a ribbon jumper going OVER the drive 'bay'. I hate that design.

SON LOVES NEW SPEED. Very fast boot up; and now he nows how to use WinDirStat, too! :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2016 05:24AM by El Jeffe.

El Jeffe – July 10, 2016 10:32AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
ARL >>> Saw my first UTE in the flesh yesterday at Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
Still confused on how the guy/owner did all the wrangling (let alone WHY) to get it on our streets.
more of my pics: http://imgur.com/a/cKQop/layout/grid

ARL (Moderator) – July 11, 2016 07:27AM Reply Quote
It's just a much more streamlined F150. Or really any utility truck (hence "ute") but yes, many moons ago at high school as a younger, less enlightened lad my most fervent wish was to own a Holden WB 253...

Cloudscout – July 11, 2016 12:04PM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
Kind of surprised that Chevy hasn't tried to resurrect the El Camino on that platform here.

Mokers (Moderator) – July 11, 2016 05:39PM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
I thought there were plans before the GM bankruptcy. they were trying to get more volume for that RWD platform since Australia is not a huge market. Pontiac GTO, G8, caprice ppv, etc. I think since Holden is ending their production in Australia, we likely won't ever see a new el camino.

El Jeffe – July 11, 2016 06:15PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I think the owner of the one in my photo told me that GM had done a lot of the homologation, but then did not bring it over. One of the Indian contractors I work with, was excited today that Ford is bringing the Mustang over. But it'll be like $70,000 PLUS.

Mokers (Moderator) – July 11, 2016 06:38PM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
I think it is a good platform. I was looking at the SS, but I really prefer something akin to a GT as opposed to an actual sports car. Probably got another 8-10 years for my TL, but I really like the re-designed genesis. although maybe CPO Continentals will be in my price range in that time...

ARL (Moderator) – July 11, 2016 06:49PM Reply Quote
Between the Holden ute and the Ford Falcon ute both being discontinued there are going to be a lot of upset bogans downunder...

El Jeffe – July 11, 2016 06:57PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
ya'll really just need some good ol' pick up trucks.

ddt – July 11, 2016 11:44PM Reply Quote
I was recently mourning what GM did to Saab, so.

ddt

El Jeffe – July 17, 2016 11:54AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I was MERELY going to vacuum the van... one thing led to another... and I tore out half the back.
The 'rear air' has not been working as designed. I diagnosed it was the BLEND DOOR ACTUATOR.
Getting to it has been a lot of toiling. Finally got it. And testing shows it only works one direction. Which equates to it always being stuck on cold, for instance.

Plus the tolerance in the door shaft/flange to the housing with no means of lubrication, nor bearings, has been gummed up and hard for even ME to turn by hand. I will attempt to increase the gap, and introduce some grease or something.

Part 18 in this diagram. a LOT of work to get to. http://www.factorychryslerparts.com/images/parts/Chrysler/fullsize/00000GUX.jpg

MY PHOTOS so far: http://imgur.com/a/5ocY8

The photo where my hand is in the chamber, holding the blend door, the heater core (heat exchanger ; kinda looks like a small radiator ) is on left; and A/C condenser on right. As the door is actuated (MOVED) to the left, the blower motor, pointing downwards, that air is forced through the A/C and them up the D PILLAR (A is windshield; B is behind driver seats/side; C is aft of slider door and second row and D PILLAR is the most rearwards), then forward along the right side, then across header, then back rearward along driver's side header. WHEW!!!!

as the blend door rotates clockwise, it forces are MUCH MORE SIMPLY > Just through the heater core, up and around the right rear wheel well, and just down onto the floor/foot area near passenger sliding door. I like SIMPLE!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2016 11:59AM by El Jeffe.

Mokers (Moderator) – July 18, 2016 01:47PM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
you are a more patient man than me! Closest I got was having to take the seats out of mmy wife's 2012 accord to get attach a particular type of seat cover. I realized I actually had all the tools I needed to get it done. Metric nuts rule! (Beavis laugh).

Two current cars are still in warranty, so haven't had to do too much to them.

El Jeffe – July 18, 2016 03:09PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
dug in and found out it's NOT the actuator. hours passed...
so, it's electrical in nature. I am NOT doing any more work for that.
So, I will likely drill a hole in plastic shroud and just put in a manual lever. Try to make it look as nice as possible. But not spending money to diagnose electrical connections. Too many gremlins possible.

John Willoughby – July 25, 2016 07:38PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
Bob Mansfield's now allegedly the head of Project Titan at Apple.

John Willoughby – July 28, 2016 04:36PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
...and Apple just hired the creator of the QNX realtime operating system to work on Project Titan. Back when I was more insane than I am now, I dual-booted a Sony VAIO with Windows and QNX.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login