Spork Boards

That's right, Mr. Meader- don't look here for thoze rum0rz...

Simon's Avatar Picture Simon – December 20, 2007 04:49AM Reply Quote
Yet Another Transplant Thread (credit to Brian Miller for the original) (and Robert Taylor for the 2nd edition)

So, when do you expect to see the next 21-slot G5 subnotebook with built-in antigravity? Or do you have other things to complain about regarding the Mac rum0rz press?

John Willoughby – September 16, 2016 09:55AM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
No more Boot Camp on ARM.

Roger – September 16, 2016 02:10PM Reply Quote
The Verge agrees that Apple's in-house silicon is starting to look like a better option than Intel's for the Mac.

James DeBenedetti – September 16, 2016 03:24PM Reply Quote
I used to think Apple would port the Mac to ARM, but for a while now think it’s more likely they’ll just let it die with Intel and focus on making the iPad a “real” computer instead.

Cloudscout – September 16, 2016 03:37PM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
They just need to port their dev tools to iOS and then they can let the Mac fade away.

ARL (Moderator) – September 16, 2016 04:14PM Reply Quote
I'd need iOS to be quite Mac-ified if that turns out to be the case.

I'll probably whinge a lot in the meanwhile.

But my experience with my not-so MBP has me convinced Apple has to move to ARM.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2016 04:15PM by ARL.

John Willoughby – September 21, 2016 11:35AM Reply Quote

John Willoughby – September 21, 2016 12:42PM Reply Quote
Never mind. It was pretty unlikely anyway, but it would have been fun.

John Willoughby – September 21, 2016 03:33PM Reply Quote

John Willoughby – September 22, 2016 03:06PM Reply Quote

johnny k – September 22, 2016 09:59PM Reply Quote
And here I was ready to buy an Xbox One S for the HDR support.

porruka (Admin) – September 23, 2016 12:04AM Reply Quote
Failure is pre-greatness.
John Willoughby
New Apple TV coming soon?

BT + NFC, no Wifi? That sounds more like an Apple Pay accessory than Atv.

However, Atv speculation should be rampant with the release of tvOS 10 and the removal of gen 3 from the store. Why tvOS 10? This puts gen 3 two tvOS releases behind and given the appeal of the $69 price point, was likely impeding sales of the newer units (I know they would for me when it comes to conference room/presentation units).

The only real question in my mind is does the entry price point rise from $69 back to $99 when the low-end 4th gen get pushed down-model, or stay all the way at $149?

ARL (Moderator) – September 23, 2016 12:17AM Reply Quote
The article said wifi only needed to be specified if it was a new design.

If it's "an existing design re-utilized" it apparently doesn't need to be re-filed (assuming the article is correct).

porruka (Admin) – September 23, 2016 12:28AM Reply Quote
Failure is pre-greatness.
ARL
The article said wifi only needed to be specified if it was a new design.

If it's "an existing design re-utilized" it apparently doesn't need to be re-filed (assuming the article is correct).

Yes, but testing for NFC is important here.

1) As Apple Pay on the web proves, NFC is not actually required.
2) NFC is short-range (6 inches or less (often much less), 15cm or less)
3) To date, Apple has explicitly denied developers access to any use of the NFC radio/data stream.

So...

If we assume it's an Atv, what do we have?

Apple turning on something that is not needed, and with (2) explicitly does not make sense (even with data transfer for NFC ala that stupid Samsung bump to share videos use case) because Atv units (used as Apple TVs anyway) are close to/behind/hidden around TVs (particularly with the BT remote). You're not going to walk up to your TV with your phone to make a purchase (or other file transfer). Handheld device-based configuration of Atv is already covered via Bluetooth.

No, it really makes no sense. If that's an Atv, what will be more interesting is why it has that particular radio enabled and what new somethingorothers get announced simultaneously, not the fact that there is a new Atv.

[EDIT]

Now that I think about it more, W1 is assumed to be enhanced Bluetooth but is that ALL it is? I came up with a scenario that MAY make sense for Atv with NFC **IF** NFC and Bluetooth are working together in the AirPods, for example to make the magic pairing work: wireless headphones for TV. It's a painful scenario right now in the consumer space for those.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2016 12:49AM by porruka.

John Willoughby – September 23, 2016 12:36PM Reply Quote
Lots of rumors today about an Echo-like Siri device.

bahamut – September 25, 2016 09:19PM Reply Quote
I was excited about a new 4K AppleTV and then I realized …

We never use our AppleTV Gen 3. Why? Because we watch Amazon Prime on our Roku 4, which already has 4K.

I don't see any compelling reason to buy an AppleTV 4K unless all of you can think of one.

ARL (Moderator) – September 25, 2016 09:20PM Reply Quote
Does Amazon Prime run on chromecast?

johnny k – September 25, 2016 09:44PM Reply Quote
My old Roku does a fine job of Amazon Video, Netflix and Plex on a 720p TV. Don't need anything else. The next thing will be to get 4K and HDR for the next TV, and ideally a voice search interface, but the next TV will also already support all of that out of the box.

ghidorah – September 26, 2016 03:33PM Reply Quote
Raise taxes on cavemen. --jw
wow--the c-1 looks like a really well thought out vehicle!

bahamut – September 26, 2016 03:46PM Reply Quote
Indeed… into reciprocating mass?

John Willoughby – September 27, 2016 10:49AM Reply Quote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login