Spork Boards

Boss Bitch

Simon's Avatar Picture Simon – December 18, 2007 07:38PM Reply Quote
For all your work woes.

Cloudscout – August 12, 2008 09:43AM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
objSparby.Disposition = Outward.Disposition("Veiled Fury");

Cloudscout – August 13, 2008 06:43PM Reply Quote
I now have experience with Apple secrecy first-hand. Today's iPhone announcement? I've been assisting preparations for that project without actually being told what it was. Now that it's been announced, all of the strange requests make more sense (although completely unrelated to the stuff I've been griping about here).

Curtis – August 13, 2008 09:30PM Reply Quote
What iPhone announcement?

Cloudscout – August 13, 2008 09:34PM Reply Quote

johnny k – August 13, 2008 10:24PM Reply Quote
Is that what bumped AAPL on a down market day? This recent surge is good timing, as I've got a new home to finance. Hope it holds up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2008 10:25PM by johnny k.

Cloudscout – August 13, 2008 10:42PM Reply Quote
Yeah, it brought BBY up along with it.

ghidorah – August 14, 2008 01:44PM Reply Quote
Raise taxes on cavemen. --jw
crap. just got a "dear applicant" letter from the local transit authority. and the interview went so well too. would have had bennies and a decent wage to boot. wtf

John Willoughby – August 14, 2008 01:52PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
That sucks, ghidorah. Don't let it get you down.

ghidorah – August 14, 2008 04:01PM Reply Quote
Raise taxes on cavemen. --jw
thanks JW. I'm gonna try to write out a "thank you" letter so that maybe I get invited back for an interview somewhere down the line. Damn I thought I had this one wrapped up. Could really have used that income.

stan adams – August 15, 2008 11:47AM Reply Quote
I spent two hours on a phone interview for a company that apparently has no openings...

I know the feeling.

I have a whole morning blocked out for another company that looks very promising. Any tips on how I can "close the deal" with four folks?

El Jeffe – August 15, 2008 11:54AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
good practice

Madaracs – August 15, 2008 02:44PM Reply Quote
Ooh! Scary! Scary! Don't we look mean? You can't see me! But I can see you!
stan adams
I think I quit. Or maybe I am just taking a day and will get fired.

This is / was very odd. It is not like "the camel has a broken back" especially as there is no obvious 'straw', but I need a new job. Maybe not even IT, but that may just be me trying to think of something 'better'.

There are a lot of little things that are sort of like getting...

I guess maybe I am more than a little burned out..

Maybe I am an arrogant prick that does not know as much as I think. Maybe I have ADD. Maybe I am having a midlife crisis. I cannot tell you how many time I have an dialogue with myself in my head about 'how can I do this until I am 67, how can I not do this for the next 25 years". Maybe I have always felt this way. Maybe I just am a lazy slob to the core.

I feel this way, too. Not every day yet... but sometimes and often. I'm 36 (well nearly). Maybe that will help you gauge the midlife crisis question.

I also feel this way every time I watch the movie "Office Space". (ddt -- tell me where to put that damn period. In or out of the quotes?)

Anyway, sometimes change is necessary. Especially for us non-baby-boomers who don't have, never have had and will likely never know what 'job security' is. My gut says you'll be fine tho. Just hang in their, get that resume out and the 10-20K+ raises will come rolling in... Maybe it's your turn to be the boss? Unless you're already the boss. Then it's time to become the boss' boss!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2008 02:44PM by Madaracs.

Madaracs – August 15, 2008 02:51PM Reply Quote
Ooh! Scary! Scary! Don't we look mean? You can't see me! But I can see you!
stan adams
I have a whole morning blocked out for another company that looks very promising. Any tips on how I can "close the deal" with four folks?

Be yourself.

Be honest.

I don't know if there is any real advice here accept that when I interview someone I don't like them to:

-Be arrogant
-Be nervous
-Be there for no good reason (I was a pizza man but now I want to be in technology)

When people are nervous I put them at ease and give them the opportunity to relax. Hopefully your interviewers will do the same and engage you with a little more than just 'the biz'.

When I'm being interviewed:
If asked about certain skills personally I like to throw a little humor in. Especially if it's on a subject I know well. Show them you have personality a little bit. No one wants a stuffy coworker or employee if the next one is more engaging. OK, that's not 100% true but that's how I am.

As far as closing the deal? Just act natural. NO ONE WILL EVER KNOW. ;-)

::edit::

Oh! And also have Cloudscout help you pad your resume.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2008 02:52PM by Madaracs.

Curtis – August 18, 2008 09:32PM Reply Quote
My multi-million dollar tech infrastructure expansion project proposal just got funded. (Which will probably assist quite a bit in converting me from a full-time contractor to permanent staff).

Now I'm writing lengthy emails to my bosses about why several hundred thousand dollars should be re-allocated from tape backups to disk-to-disk, but nobody believes me (yet). Go figure.

John Willoughby – August 25, 2008 03:19PM Reply Quote
My boss is out sick. Didn't see fit to give me a new project, as I requested Friday. Eight hours sitting in my cube, waiting for bug reports to fix. Brace yourselves for a torrent of inanity, as I am bored and have web access.

Cloudscout – August 25, 2008 03:49PM Reply Quote
Lie still, little bottle.

El Jeffe – August 25, 2008 04:36PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
well, that explains it.

stan adams – August 27, 2008 11:50AM Reply Quote
I just put in for a job that might require 50% travel as a pre/post sales technical consultant. Have I lost my mind?

John Willoughby – August 27, 2008 01:00PM Reply Quote
Only 50% of it.

Cloudscout – August 27, 2008 05:35PM Reply Quote
I need a job fast.

Our raises last year were less than half cost-of-living. Today we learned that we're not even getting raises this year... and bonuses are being cut dramatically.

The fact that it affects everyone (except, of course, senior execs) only means that everyone is going to be equally pissed off which can only lead to an unpleasant work environment.

I really regret not going through with quitting last year.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login