Spork Boards

Apple's relationship with the press, customers, and dealers

tliet's Avatar Picture tliet – March 20, 2008 09:34AM Reply Quote
Although we don't live in the Apple is beleaguered times anymore, there's still enough to be said about them...
Transplanted once again...

The Gay Blade - 05:54pm Mar 31, 2000 EST
The Blade will attempt to transplant yet another rhetorical sapling here
on the Spork boards by copping a page from the delightful Brian Miller,
writing eloquently on the superannuated boards of yesteryear:

Brian Miller - 03:07pm Sep 30, 1999 PT
The man with a plan

My recent PowerBook G3 fiasco notwithstanding, I am beginning to wonder if
Apple is planning on abandoning "small fry customers." Consider the
evidence:

1) Apple's war with the Macintosh press;
2) Apple's slashing and burning of small local dealers, who often provided
the best service "in a pinch";
3) Apple's continued horrendous customer service breaches (individual Apple
Store orders cancelled in favour of large educaction/business orders).

Pulling all this evidence together and analysing it makes me feel far more
"worried" about Apple's future than any time under Amelio. Consider, for
instance, what all of those resources spent on lawyers threatening tiny Mac
sites could do in customer service and relations.

Before we consider Apple's "invasion" into the Fortune 1000 enterprise to
be ready, we have to focus on Apple's status in its own current markets. In
my view, there's a lot of "retrenching" to do before they're ready. They
can start by ceasing their intimidation of Mac publishers, letting the damn
Mac rags publish OS 8.6 on their cover disks, and spending a bit more time,
effort, and energy on a "satisfy the customer at all costs throughout the
organisation" policy. These are all core competencies they'll need before
they can even THINK of invading the big-enterprise space.
[/quote]

porruka (Admin) – May 21, 2015 01:33PM Reply Quote
The cat has your pipe.
Cloudscout
Is Steve Ballmer running Apple now? This seems like the sort of policy he would have implemented.

http://bgr.com/2015/05/21/app-store-rejection-android-ios/

Having recently emerged (mostly successfully!) from an 8-week, multiple telephone-call App Store Review Experience™, I certainly sympathize with the dev. If you contravene the rules, you take your chances on whether Apple will catch it or not. In my case, the reason it wasn't 100% successful turned on Apple's definition of "external goods and services" that could be considered up for interpretation and, to Apple's credit, is still being debated.

On "whether that should be a rule or not" (the mention of alternate platforms/versions of apps), I mostly fall into Apple's camp. To be silly for a moment, you wouldn't find signs on Walmart shelves from Coke (since they stock their own product) saying, "And find us at Target too!" It's a similar exercise of control here. The store is Apple's. It makes Apple money. It is a competitive advantage against other ecosystems. I don't think it's unreasonable for them to protect it from competition/redirection, particularly against the argument, "because oppression!"

Also, the contention that this specific rejection via the rule (a mention in a screenshot) is "too picky" rings hollow to me; it's not like my case where there's room for interpretation. Apple is clear in stating "no mentions of other platforms".

johnny k – May 21, 2015 02:50PM Reply Quote
Yeah, the same rule has bit apps that support Pebble now that Apple has a watch. Understandable, but kinda sucks since the vast majority of users never see the developer's own site - though Pebble itself isn't subject to that, I assume. Hopefully people browse for Pebble app support through Pebble's in-app store.

John Willoughby – June 23, 2015 12:36PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
I agree with her. If this deal is so great, let Apple set their take up to the standard level, and pay for the three months' service themselves. If that's not viable, how is it viable to push that deal on the musicians and labels?

ARL (Moderator) – August 16, 2015 07:03PM Reply Quote
Trying to figure out who the villain in this is:

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/business/banking-and-finance/apple-pay-being-repelled-by-big-banks-20150815-gizz6y.html

The banks. When in doubt its always the banks.

porruka (Admin) – August 16, 2015 07:16PM Reply Quote
The cat has your pipe.
ARL
Trying to figure out who the villain in this is:

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/business/banking-and-finance/apple-pay-being-repelled-by-big-banks-20150815-gizz6y.html

The banks. When in doubt its always the banks.

With misinformation like this, who needs anemones?

"Mr Narev said CBA had already offered the same functionality as Apple Pay through its app – for users of Android phones – for two years, so it was difficult for Apple to argue it is providing much value. In the US, Apple Pay was innovative because tap-and-go was not a feature of that market. "

Offering the feature is not the same as having it actually being used; ask all 10 Google Wallet users...

And to be fair, alternate payment systems do enjoy broader market penetration outside the US, but nothing "world beating" or the States would have been forced to catch up sooner than now.

Second, the negotiations are also challenged because banks are concerned about the prospect of Apple getting in between them and their customer at the point of sale, as banks recognise that future revenue growth will come from being the "interface" when customers pay for goods and services, which will allow them to cross-sell products.

Looks like at least a firing pin of the smoking gun to me... yes, the banks. Banks may want to cross-sell, but how many consumers want that?

ARL (Moderator) – September 10, 2015 07:43AM Reply Quote
Should Apple buy Netflix?

Thoughts?

El Jeffe – September 10, 2015 08:30AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
go one higher/better.... ? ... I seem to recall RUMOR of a UNIVERSAL buy-out.
So, generalizing that, should Apple buy a content creator? Or, extend their seeming relationship with Disney/ABC/et al?

John Willoughby – September 10, 2015 01:18PM Reply Quote
The closer Apple ties itself to content creation, the harder it will be to make deals with other content providers. I'm not even sure that Beats1 was a good idea (every time I check it, it's rap... isn't there anything else?).

ddt – September 10, 2015 01:47PM Reply Quote
You're just old.

Old here,

ddt

John Willoughby – September 10, 2015 04:35PM Reply Quote
"In my day, we listened to MP3's and we LIKED it!"

El Jeffe – September 10, 2015 06:26PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I miss Carson

John Willoughby – September 10, 2015 07:25PM Reply Quote
It's just a short drive south of here...

John Willoughby – September 10, 2015 07:29PM Reply Quote
Anybody think that Tim Cook's, "There's no time for updates" at the beginning of the Apple event was a nice way to avoid talking about disappointing Apple Watch sales, declining Mac, iPad and iPod sales?

El Jeffe – September 10, 2015 07:30PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
no time... and to prove it here's a WATCH!

Cloudscout – September 10, 2015 11:12PM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
El Jeffe
I miss Carson

Only a few months to wait... Antenna TV is going to be showing the original Carson-era Tonight Show beginning January 1st.

John Willoughby – September 11, 2015 10:35AM Reply Quote
Too bad that so many episodes weren't preserved.

ARL (Moderator) – November 11, 2015 10:02PM Reply Quote
Oh dear...

I have no words...

John Willoughby – November 11, 2015 10:06PM Reply Quote
Well, Apple deserves every bit of flak that they get for this. No excuse is good enough.

Roger – November 12, 2015 02:40AM Reply Quote
Yikes. Well, I imagine the Highpoint Apple Store is going to have a bunch of new job openings tomorrow.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login