Spork Boards

iPhone

tliet's Avatar Picture tliet – December 17, 2007 03:22AM Reply Quote
Discuss it here

bahamut – September 16, 2017 04:25PM Reply Quote
I got used to it too quickly. Now the diminutive ones are too hard for me to type on.

El Jeffe – September 17, 2017 08:57AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
$299 iPhone 6 32GB at Cricket (my provider)

https://www.cricketwireless.com/cell-phones/smartphones

El Jeffe – September 19, 2017 06:13PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
New iPhone 6s Plus in my hands. Now I need a brand of pants with big A$$ pockets.

John Willoughby – September 23, 2017 03:25PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
I got my iPhone 8. Upgraded from a 6s. It's okay. It's main pluses for me so far are the wireless charging (I pick my phone up from my desk at work about 100 times a day) and the ability to run iOS 11 without noticeable stuttering (which the 6s does NOT have).

The main minus so far, which I'm sure started with the iPhone 7, is the non-physical-button home button. It doesn't seem to trap my touches anywhere near as well as the physical button on the 6s, and I had to turn off launching Siri from the home button because I took me four or five tries to unlock the phone with the button; it kept launching Siri instead.

I'm sure that I will grow more used to it as time passes. Kind of a "meh" upgrade for me, but I don't feel like riding the iPhone X train and this will keep me for a few years.

John Willoughby – October 17, 2017 05:10PM Reply Quote
I don't know if this is iPhone 8 hardware, or iOS 11 bugginess, but about once a day my iPhone won't unlock from the Home button. Or, rather, it will unlock but the lock screen doesn't clear for ten seconds or more. Sometimes it never clears. No combination of buttons or touches will change it until it decides to go to the home screen. Sometimes it doesn't clear at all, and after a minute or so I power it off and on again. I've just switched the "Rest Finger to Open" option on in Accessibility; we'll see if it makes a difference.

It doesn't seem to be a general problem, so this is just provided as a data point for anybody considering an iPhone 8.

johnny k – October 17, 2017 05:43PM Reply Quote
On my 6s Plus I occasionally get a freeze where it won't respond to anything including the home button, but that happens in any app, and clears up after a little while. I think I read something about this being a iOS 11 issue. Haven't noticed it on my development phone (7 Plus) but I don't use that as much.

ddt – October 17, 2017 06:16PM Reply Quote
Yeah, just today I got another "refuses to respond to any user input" on my 6S (latest iOS11 update). Then a lot of things happened almost at once. Including Music having crashed, so I had to relocate where I was in an hourlong-plus podcast (since Music resets you to the start of every track).

ddt

El Jeffe – October 17, 2017 08:17PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
same

Bruce Robertson – October 17, 2017 11:45PM Reply Quote
Same just this afternoon. But: 10.3.3

El Jeffe – October 31, 2017 06:14PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
iPhone X review: The best damn product Apple has ever made
https://www.imore.com/iphone-x-review

ARL (Moderator) – October 31, 2017 08:33PM Reply Quote
I'll be interested to see if that's kool-aid or consensus...

El Jeffe – November 01, 2017 04:11AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
more towards Flavor Ade.

ARL (Moderator) – November 01, 2017 09:21AM Reply Quote
Nah, that's Android...

John Willoughby – November 01, 2017 10:16AM Reply Quote
ARL
I'll be interested to see if that's kool-aid or consensus...

It read to me like it was written by an Apple fan, but not by one with his eyes willfully closed to the phone's faults. Still, it didn't sound like the phone was Apple's best product ever to me. Better than I had feared, though. The lack of a home button and the reliance on gestures will probably be very problematic for me.

Roger – November 01, 2017 04:17PM Reply Quote
Given the expected crunch on iPhone X supplies, it's weird how low the eBay resale premium appears to be falling before release day. (I admit, I put in a preorder thinking I might resell it, as I've done with first-gen and S3 Apple Watches… looks like the X is almost not worth the hassle of reselling.) I wonder if a lot of US buyers are waiting on carrier incentives rather than paying the up-front price.

ARL (Moderator) – November 02, 2017 02:57AM Reply Quote
Following Jeffe's review, here's another one:

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/technology/iphone-x-first-impressions-some-relearning-required-20171102-gzddps.html

Overall, very positive. Apple may just very well have snatched victory from the jaws of defeat.

El Jeffe – November 02, 2017 09:23AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I do not count myself in the group that cares one whit about the top notch.

dharlow – November 02, 2017 10:48AM Reply Quote
For me the price is like ouch, even with the payment plans the carriers offer.

ddt – November 02, 2017 11:13AM Reply Quote
So you do not want it in a pouch? You would not use it on a couch?

ddt

Roger – November 02, 2017 11:59AM Reply Quote
dharlow
For me the price is like ouch, even with the payment plans the carriers offer.

Same here, I've mostly picked up a new iPhone in the past when a carrier was willing to give me a "free" one in exchange for a 2-year commitment. (That worked for a 4, a 5, a 6, and a 7…) But Apple's trying to break people out of that mindset this time around with the "premium" model. I suspect it may go over better abroad than in the US, where the cell-phone market seems almost totally planned around customers not being able to multiply by 12 or 24.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login