Spork Boards

iPhone

tliet's Avatar Picture tliet – December 17, 2007 03:22AM Reply Quote
Discuss it here

Roger – September 13, 2018 01:57PM Reply Quote
The worst part of the iPhone product cycle in recent years is this weird waiting period between the announcement of the new phones and the carriers announcing what deals/promos/etc they'll be offering. I get a strong sense the carriers are playing chicken with each other.

El Jeffe – September 13, 2018 03:28PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I've never paid attention to carrier/deals. And I've only fairly recently gotten an iPhone. And then about four more. I think I've had 5 new iPhones in 2 years? But I just buy them. Mostly refurbed.
What do carriers bring to the table?

Roger – September 13, 2018 03:49PM Reply Quote
Well, I'm on an iPhone 7 now and I've never actually paid for an iPhone. Until the last year or two, if you were willing to switch carriers there was always someone willing to offer a free one in exchange for a 2-year contract. They're trying to steer us toward a-la-carte phones recently but I'm guessing it's probably going to drive a lot of people to the budget carriers — if there's no free phone, there's very little left to make you want to get locked into a full-freight plan with the big guys.

ARL (Moderator) – September 14, 2018 01:26AM Reply Quote
I diudn't notice the complete shelving of the iPhone X amongst all the noise...

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/technology/why-apple-is-no-longer-selling-last-year-s-iphone-x-20180913-p503hs.html

Why oh why didn't they just call the iPhone Xs Max ju7st an iPhone Xs Plus?

And the iPhone Xs should have just been iPhone X (2018 model)

El Jeffe – September 14, 2018 04:07AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
It seems that every time I look at mainstream carrier prices, they are more than mine. I have 5 cell lines for $100 or $110. No contract. Not sure I care/like hiding the prices of 5 phones into that, I just try and buy what/when I decide I want/need those.

Roger – September 14, 2018 01:00PM Reply Quote
I'm sure the calculation is very different if you have 5 phones!

John Willoughby – September 17, 2018 01:22PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
iOS 12 is out. First surprise, both my iPad and iPhone came up from the install with Screen Time enabled... and with a passcode on it.

I was able to unlock Screen Time with a four-digit passcode that I have not used in years, certainly not one that I'd used during the lifetime of either of these devices.

[EDIT]

Scarily enough, it DID count my failed passcode entries in red text... raising the fear that somehow this would activate the "erase this device with 10 failed passcode attempts," though I am sure that no sane OS would do that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2018 01:24PM by John Willoughby.

El Jeffe – September 19, 2018 06:35PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
some odd fluke of ISP gave me 250Mbps download. I was surprised that my iPhone actually could see/use 250+Mbps, and via my years old router, too. surprising.

Roger – September 21, 2018 02:33PM Reply Quote
Got a reasonably good promotion and ended up impulse-buying an iPhone XS while taking my partner out to shop for one. Ran into this while trying to set it up. Looks like some dingus at Apple forgot to push out the new version of iTunes for Mac in time to restore and sync all the new phones they just released.

bahamut – October 01, 2018 06:33AM Reply Quote
Got the XS max. It’s amazing. Booted up the 8 plus to send it back after few days and it felt like ancient history. Faceid is a godsend and the extra screen room is stunning. Why people say it’s bigger is beyond me. It fits in the same cases as the 8 plus but the camera won’t align with the holes.

Mokers (Moderator) – October 01, 2018 11:16AM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
I like the iPhone 8 I have so much I think this is the first phone that I will replace the battery instead of taking the apple upgrade.

John Willoughby – October 01, 2018 01:11PM Reply Quote
I've found the XS to be less revolutionary than I feared/expected. The extra screen real estate is nice.

I've noticed, a number of times, that apps (including Settings) aren't responsive for a second or two after being opened. This makes me wonder if iOS 12's fast loading of apps is a little illusory. Kind of like Mac vs Windows where Macs were usable once you logged in, but took longer to get to login, whereas Windows logged you in faster but then you had to wait for everything to finish loading before it was usable. I feel like I am dealing with the iOS equivalent of Windows-style loading.

El Jeffe – October 01, 2018 01:58PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
wife's 5 month old Apple Watch (3) died Saturday. Took it in Sunday.
Looked at X S .
I like it a lot.

johnny k – October 01, 2018 03:35PM Reply Quote
JW, "good practice" in developing an iOS app includes defining a launch image that looks like the first screen you'll see, so wonder if you're getting caught by that.
The Mac vs Windows thing "was" but to me it seems that Mac OS X does that same trick now too. Just annoying that it pretends to give me control but the cue that my computer is actually usable is not there.

Roger – October 02, 2018 12:35PM Reply Quote
Took the XS on a road trip and took a lot of photos. Now convinced it's a massive upgrade. That camera is INCREDIBLE.

porruka (Admin) – October 02, 2018 01:40PM Reply Quote
The cat has your pipe.
Roger
Took the XS on a road trip and took a lot of photos. Now convinced it's a massive upgrade. That camera is INCREDIBLE.

What is the reference model you're comparing it to?

Roger – October 02, 2018 02:07PM Reply Quote
I upgraded from the 7, and the 8 wasn't a big change from that camera. It's probably more incremental if you're already used to the X camera but the difference shooting in low light and backlit/shooting into the sun situations is still really noticeable even compared to that. I shot some landscapes straight into the desert sun that came out pretty amazing with the XS, where they'd have been black and underexposed with the 7/8.

John Willoughby – October 02, 2018 02:52PM Reply Quote
johnny k
JW, "good practice" in developing an iOS app includes defining a launch image that looks like the first screen you'll see, so wonder if you're getting caught by that.

That was my thought, but what's the practical difference? I'm staring at a dumb image, mashing my finger on it, and nothing's happening. Slow app or static picture, I'm still not getting a good experience.

ddt – October 15, 2018 02:47PM Reply Quote
Thanks to some work I picked up, I'm finally going to replace my iPhone 6S (tired of the battery lasting only a few hours). Hey you Apple-purchase nerds/experts, what strategy do you think I should take to get an iPhone Xr, and sooner rather than later? Should I? (One constraint against just jumping in online as soon as we can pre-order is.... don't know what the colors will look like IRL.)

ddt

Roger – October 15, 2018 02:49PM Reply Quote
I've been experimenting with foreign eBay ordering to see if there's any way to save a few bucks on Apple's nice silicone iPhone cases — since I've unfortunately discovered I really like the ones they sell for the rather exorbitant price of $39. So far the $5 "genuine authentic" ones are bad fakes, and the $20 "genuine authentic 100% guaranteed Apple product" ones are higher-quality but still obvious fakes. None of them even approach the quality of the actual product, but the mold lines and flaws are less obvious on the $20 ones. The fake Apple packaging they come in is pretty much indistinguishable from real. They may need to start putting a seal of authenticity or something on these. Meanwhile the actual Apple Store is already sold out of some colors until the end of December, so their pricing apparently isn't a problem…

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login