Spork Boards

DealSpork

Cloudscout's Avatar Picture Cloudscout – December 16, 2007 07:55PM Reply Quote
"What do you mean $500 for a black-and-white 5-inch portable TV set? My brother-in-law can get it for you wholesale!"

Cloudscout – May 19, 2014 12:09PM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
7.5 could do it but not in real-time. If you hit the Search button and then click the "Eye" icon, you can point the camera at something and click "Scan Text". It will then take a picture and offer to translate the text it finds.

In Windows Phone 8, they made it real-time as a "Lens" for the camera app.

I also feel compelled to warn people repeatedly about the roaming data limitations on T-Mobile. While I really liked T-Mobile, I had to give them up because you're limited to 100MB (yes, megabytes) of roaming data per month. That can be crippling if you travel outside of T-Mobile's native coverage area because you don't even have the option of paying extra for a higher cap. Once you hit 100MB (or 50MB on cheaper plans) they simply cut you off.

That was the main reason I had to switch to AT&T.

porruka (Admin) – May 19, 2014 01:08PM Reply Quote
The cat has your pipe.
How current is that T-Mobile roaming restriction with all the "uncarrier" changes?

Cloudscout – May 19, 2014 01:13PM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
It's still current. Here's part of the fine-print on the bottom of their Cell Phone Plans page:

"Roaming and on-network data allotments differ; 1 GB full-speed plan includes 10 MB roaming; 3 GB and Unlimited 4G full-speed plans and 5 GB limited Smartphone Mobile Hotspot feature include 50 MB roaming; 5 GB full-speed plan includes 100 MB roaming."

johnny k – July 25, 2014 10:53PM Reply Quote
Need to get a handful of Macs for my mom's school. Needs to meet basic needs (iMovie, Keynote, web) for 5 years. Though consider that this is their first push into really incorporating computers into the classroom, now that they have a young teacher who will actually make use of them. They think that MBAs will be easier to manage access for, but I think you get better bang for the buck out of iMacs... any angles or deals I'm not seeing?

At http://www.macrumors.com/2014/07/25/buyers-guide-deals-july-25/ I see:
MBA 13" for $850 - $100 edu discount from Best Buy. Supplement with an external HD for video. Great deal, but that just doesn't seem like it'll keep up for several years, especially locked into 4GB RAM.
iMac 21" 1.4GHz (new budget model) for $950 - $100 edu. Not sure if it's much more future-proof... would even consider paying another $200 for the 2.7GHz model.

ddt – July 25, 2014 11:16PM Reply Quote
You know, you can do almost all (if not all) of that on iPads. They're tougher to lock down, though, and you'd have to use cloud services for external video storage.

ddt

johnny k – July 25, 2014 11:49PM Reply Quote
Not going to happen just for that last hassle, multiplied by a dozen kids sharing one machine. And I have Keynote on iPad, but jumping back and forth between Keynote and image sources on the web is just painful. (These are elementary school kids, btw.)

Mokers (Moderator) – July 26, 2014 10:20AM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
Hi Johnny,

Feel free to email me, but a few questions.

1. any directory services in place? How are they going to login? shared login or separate accounts

2. Where will they store the movie files?

3. How is the wireless coverage at the school? (big deal when choosing between laptops an desktops)

4. How many hours a week can be dedicated to maintenance?

johnny k – July 26, 2014 12:11PM Reply Quote
Oh jeez, nothing that serious.
1. No, just a shared account, nothing fancy between machines.
2. On the internal HDs. I don't bet on anyone really getting ambitious, but if they do, I'll get them an ext. The nice thing is that every new school year we can wipe all that.
3. Good point. I'll check on that. Brick walls, separate buildings.
4. 0.25.

They've had one iMac and I've only had to mess with it once - I think the one teacher has been taking care of what little is needed otherwise.

Mokers (Moderator) – July 26, 2014 09:59PM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
For that type of thing, I almost always recommend ChromeBooks. You can buy 2-3x the number of computers and still have money left over for a charging cart. Cart lets you bring it into any classroom The only drawback is that it is much easier if it is integrated with google apps for education. However, it is free to setup the google apps account, so you could create a domain just to use shared accounts with the laptops. Web based management through the web console.

Now, the macs won't be bad, but you really need to make sure you budget some sort of MDM. Meraki has a free device manager that you can use to manage profiles on the computers (desktop or laptops). https://meraki.cisco.com/blog/2013/10/systems-manager-profiles-now-for-os-x/ This is also web-based so you can get some basic management without too much time invested.

Edit: The problem of trying to do it without management is that the App store requires things like the VPP to get software on multiple computers and without some sort of way to deal with that, you spend a ton of time just getting software installed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2014 10:02PM by Mokers.

porruka (Admin) – July 26, 2014 10:11PM Reply Quote
The cat has your pipe.
Mokers
Edit: The problem of trying to do it without management is that the App store requires things like the VPP to get software on multiple computers and without some sort of way to deal with that, you spend a ton of time just getting software installed.

Wouldn't $20 Mac OS X Server handle this?

Mokers (Moderator) – July 27, 2014 10:41AM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
OS X server would work, but needs dedicated hardware and a bit more time to administer.

El Jeffe – July 27, 2014 01:04PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
My (mainframe) co worker loves the Chromebook I had him buy. He does not want to need to know much below the OS.

johnny k – July 27, 2014 08:13PM Reply Quote
Interesting. But Chromebooks don't have iMovie or Keynote. The money savings would be great, but I'm not sure they can keep up with the flexibility elementary students will want. I guess longevity isn't much of an issue unless more taxing applications will run on ChromeOS. Based on the one Mac they have, I don't see any serious new challenges with just an admin account and a locked down student account on each, with Dropbox or iCloud to create a space to access from any machine.

El Jeffe – July 28, 2014 04:49AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
agreed. trade offs. he just likes it, though. we have one. i barely touch it. but if i needed it, i'm sure it would do what it does.

Mokers (Moderator) – July 28, 2014 12:14PM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
Yeah, the chromebooks definitely require adjustments, but overall I think they are easier to administrate without anybody dedicated on the staff. Lots of schools use both of course.

If you do go with the Macs, I recommend working through a local apple store if possible. The business teams there will overall be more responsive than apple education and they may be able to point the school to training, resources, etc a little more readily.

bahamut – November 11, 2014 10:13PM Reply Quote
All this talk about Synology (and of course I can't do this anymore as I am jobless), but how about this as a nutty idea?

You can get older xserves for under $100 these days (http://www.ebay.com/itm/APPLE-XSERVE-2x-Dual-Core-Intel-Xeon-3GHz-4GB-Ram-80-750GB-HD-Server-/141397486902?pt=COMP_EN_Servers&hash=item20ebf26d36).

I guess the limit would be the amount of storage you can have onboard, but I wonder what the actual throughput on something like this isn an operating environment might be … Could it be some kind of insane, lighting fast sub-$100home server? Just saying …

El Jeffe – November 12, 2014 05:38AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
power costs would eventually overshadow price savings.

tomierna (Admin) – November 12, 2014 10:52PM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
Yeah, power costs will be high, and those are extremely loud.

That said, I think the trays in Xserves of that vintage might be SATA instead of PATA, like what was in the Xserve RAID. That means you should probably be able to put drives in which are larger than 750GB.

El Jeffe – November 15, 2014 04:56AM Reply Quote
What a journey.

El Jeffe – November 15, 2014 06:01AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
$170 5 TB USB 3 external STBV5000100

multiple places. remember to use B&H link here at spork.
(not THIS link below... this is just to FIND IT, example)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2014 06:06AM by El Jeffe.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login