Spork Boards

Digital Lifestyle

Cloudscout's Avatar Picture Cloudscout – December 16, 2007 07:54PM Reply Quote
"Digital hubs." iPod and its successors. (iPhone?) Convergence. How ridiculous will DRM get? Yep, put it all together and it just might make for a successful thread.

Cloudscout – January 06, 2019 01:38PM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
Cost cutting measure due to a halt in federal funding for "voice assistant" programs during the government shutdown. ;)

Roger – January 06, 2019 01:45PM Reply Quote
Those Ring doorbell cams have some of the most effective social-media ads I've ever seen — they do fake-PSA-style recent videos of local package thieves in my Instagram feed and it's about the only such ad I've ever actually stopped and looked at.

ddt – January 06, 2019 04:29PM Reply Quote
Not digital at all, but a funny story about cars being picked. When I lived in SF and had to park on the street, sometimes I'd park in an alley and not need my car for days. One day I went to it (to move it for street cleaning) and saw that someone had been in the car because the seat was pushed all the way back and reclined, and a few things rifled. But nothing was taken, including the change on the dash AND any of my cassettes (it was in the days of cassettes). I have to admit, I was a bit miffed that apparently my musical tastes weren't worth stealing. But if someone needed a place to sleep, I guess I'm glad they did and didn't destroy anything.

ddt

johnny k – January 06, 2019 04:42PM Reply Quote
I remember when my car was broken into, they took not only the stereo but a Tom Petty CD.

Ring sponsored NextDoor posts is also really smart.

Mokers, ha that you admit most of it you don't need. Maybe I'm being unnecessarily contrarian but I don't like being scared into buying a bunch of security stuff. We've had a few break-ins. Stole my MBP back in 2010 (the real crime is that there wasn't yet a newer model for me to buy); stole uninstalled tankless water heaters; ruined a nice leg of lamb (homeless guy who tried to cook it in our house). Still don't feel an urge to get cameras. Since the police wouldn't do anything about it anyway, might as well get a decoy. Or a moat. I feel like the neighbors are going to keep an eye out for each other here.

Your Siri's going through puberty, Bill.

El Jeffe – January 06, 2019 05:42PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
ok. dove into settings, siri, and it immediately began downloading a voice. She's back to normal. Whaddup wit dat?

tliet – January 07, 2019 12:20AM Reply Quote
Could it have been after an iOS upgrade? If your iPhone is kind of full, I've seen iOS making space available by dumping the HQ voices.

El Jeffe – January 07, 2019 05:01AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I'm sure that must have been what it did, but my iPhone is not full. Strange.

John Willoughby – January 07, 2019 03:38PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
So, Samsung, LG and Vizio televisions will have some Apple-friendly technologies rolled in for 2019.

AirPlay2, HomeKit, and Samsung TV's will be able to stream iTunes content.

Doesn't rock my world, but nice for people who don't have an AppleTV.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2019 03:38PM by John Willoughby.

Mokers (Moderator) – January 07, 2019 05:27PM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
If they are making their content available more places, that is only a good thing. Movies Anywhere has fixed most things for me though.

John Willoughby – January 07, 2019 05:30PM Reply Quote
They did a live demo of Siri on Vizio.

"...the Apple rep asked Siri to play Mission Impossible: Fallout, and Siri bungled it."

Nailed it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2019 05:31PM by John Willoughby.

ddt – January 10, 2019 08:31PM Reply Quote
Was this a known thing? Would this change any purchasing decisions? https://9to5google.com/2019/01/10/ring-camera-live-feed-access/

ddt

El Jeffe – January 10, 2019 09:32PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
That's why I don't have cameras INSIDE. I'd actually like to have some team of people from anywhere watching for suspicious activity. They could watch, and not know WHERE the camera is located, and report to an intermediator, to report back to the eventual homeowner.

John Willoughby – January 11, 2019 05:13PM Reply Quote
ddt
Was this a known thing? Would this change any purchasing decisions? https://9to5google.com/2019/01/10/ring-camera-live-feed-access/

ddt

I saw that story, or something like that, earlier. Things like that are why I've never upgraded my first generation Nests, built before Google acquired them. I do have cameras inside the house, though not in any areas one might need private.

Roger – January 11, 2019 05:28PM Reply Quote
Interesting startup idea might be a home router that would intelligently black-hole this kind of traffic by default, unless you pre-approved it (and maybe filter it even then). I know there are hard-core techies who watch the outgoing traffic from their home networks but if even someone like me finds that daunting there's probably a pretty big audience for a Privacy Box. You could see this being a new generation of Airport router software, since it'd take some resources to maintain it.

johnny k – January 11, 2019 10:53PM Reply Quote
Yeah, I'd buy that. Little Snitch in a box, with good defaults.

bahamut – January 15, 2019 09:59PM Reply Quote
I have a Nest doorbell camera. It’s awesome. Our door is pretty and does not have a peephole. Knowing who is on the other side is a relief. Seeing when Amazon comes is nice as well.

I upgraded from ADT to Simplisafe last week. RUN, don’t walk. It’s so much easier to configure. I’d put it off for a month, intimidated by the thought of having more failures. Oh no, it’s fantastic. You enter into setup and add device mode from the keypad (which is battery operated and you can take with you). You pull out a tab to activate batteries in a device, press a button to pair it. Instantly the speaker in the base station/siren announces what has been added and you use the keypad to effortlessly name it (generally by scrolling through a list of items … for example, smoke alarm gives you upstairs, downstairs, basement, hallway, office and etc. as choices). So easy. Plus I can start and stop it via my phone. There is a camera that will be monitored if the alarm goes off, but I’m not sure where to put it yet.

I have upgraded most of our switches and dimmers to Lutron Caseta. Again, it just works, unlike Leviton, which didn’t. It’s integrated into both HomeKit and Alexa. Alexa, TV lights etc.

Try “Alexa, whisper mode” if you have one. Brief mode is also cool.

I have some Blink cameras stuck outside the house for security. They aren’t ideal, I don’t love them or the platform.

bahamut – January 15, 2019 10:26PM Reply Quote
I use IFTTT and Stringify for conditional events like... if nest hello detects a person at night, turn on the exterior lights for 15 minutes.

Apple is all but completely absent from this ecosystem.

El Jeffe – February 21, 2019 09:17AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Ok, I don't want/need this, but it's cool/looking..

https://www.fiio.co.in/products/fiio-a3-portable-headphone-amplifier

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login