Spork Boards

Digital Lifestyle

Cloudscout's Avatar Picture Cloudscout – December 16, 2007 07:54PM Reply Quote
"Digital hubs." iPod and its successors. (iPhone?) Convergence. How ridiculous will DRM get? Yep, put it all together and it just might make for a successful thread.

ddt – September 15, 2016 11:32AM Reply Quote
Thinking about going with Comixology, which I've avoided due to lag in new issues and what I've heard about Amazon's cold dead hand on it. Trying the free trial and... content is good, works fairly quickly, visual design is okay, functional design (UX) is awwwwwful. No idea why I can read some issues but not others, and there's no way in the app itself to learn what the "Unlimited" (which seems to be, in practice, limiting) means.

ddt

Mokers (Moderator) – September 15, 2016 12:01PM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
that looks interesting for $6 a month.

ddt – September 15, 2016 02:34PM Reply Quote
There does seem to be a lot of kid-friendly stuff on it (though yer twins are probably still a few years away).

ddt

ghidorah – September 17, 2016 05:17PM Reply Quote
Raise taxes on cavemen. --jw
I'm looking to offload my comics in part because Comixology looks so good, although I haven't signed up yet.

porruka (Admin) – October 27, 2016 02:13PM Reply Quote
The cat has your pipe.
Since "TV" seems to be replacing "Videos", it would imply so but has anyone seen a direct reference to "TV" searching and knowing Home Sharing libraries?

porruka (Admin) – November 14, 2016 05:13PM Reply Quote
The cat has your pipe.

ARL (Moderator) – November 14, 2016 08:16PM Reply Quote
That's starting to sound promising. And look at that, a spare 3.5mm jack isn't beneath them!

(Don't those philistines know it should be a lightning connector?)

The holy grail for me would be a wireless headset that can do both bluetooth and the analogue out of the amp that's wired to my tv/dvd/appletv. As far as I can tell, no such beast exists.

Bruce Robertson – November 14, 2016 08:46PM Reply Quote
While visiting a friend at a hospital today I got some phony ass spam Ray Ban invite - on my CALENDAR! WTF? Anyone know how that can get there and how to get rid of it? IPhone 6, up to date. May have bee on hospital Wifi.

ARL (Moderator) – November 14, 2016 08:49PM Reply Quote
That was mentioned in one of the other threads recently (can't remember which). It's the new spam.

ARL (Moderator) – November 14, 2016 08:51PM Reply Quote
DPBD!

Bruce, look in Vaya con IOS

ARL (Moderator) – December 11, 2016 11:41PM Reply Quote
TPBD!

Well, today begins the start of my move to the dark side.

I've bought a chromecast (Just the HD version. Don't need 4K). It was at least 4 times cheaper than the cheapest AppleTV.

It has better apps built in and I can setup Plex to get it to play my local library. The only thing I can't play are about 30-40 titles I bought on the apple store. There is an app to de iTunes-DRM them if I really want but for the moment I'll watch them through my remaining AppleTV.

I don't know when the next iMac upgrade is, but if they come out with everything (RAM, HD etc) soldered on I'll upgrade my existing iMac with a SSD and hope it lasts as long as possible. (And after that, the murky world of whatever is non-Apple).

No more laptops. Possibly no more iMacs. I may upgrade my iPad and maybe the iPhone. Keyword "may".

Sniff, goodbye Apple. It was fun but it's done...

bahamut – December 20, 2016 09:58PM Reply Quote
Yeah I've never sensed it as I've over as now. Nobody needs this crap anymore. I'm sure it'd be frustrating to use a Surface, probably about the same as it would be to use a comprarable Apple product/

Cloudscout – December 20, 2016 10:37PM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
I'm typing this on my Surface Book. I've had it almost a year now. Absolutely love it.

John Willoughby – December 20, 2016 10:56PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
It does feel like MS is innovating more these days and more and more like Apple knows that something is wrong with their process, but has no idea what. I am teetering on the edge of leaving iCloud behind as my main email account and going full-on Gmail, even though I hate giving them access to my life. Got an Alexa as a pre-Christmas present and it is parsing my verbal instructions better than Siri ever did.

No major Mac innovation in the coming year, Apple Watch meandering pointlessly, Apple TV never quite getting the content access that it needs to take off, Apple car years away and apparently shrining in scope, iPhone still innovating, but there is only so much thinner they can make it.

The flowers in the walled garden are dying.

Cloudscout – December 20, 2016 11:41PM Reply Quote
They've found their razor, now they just keep selling cartridges... and periodically releasing new razors with more blades each year.

YDD – December 22, 2016 11:04PM Reply Quote
Now that would be a multifunction device - a phone so thin that you could shave and talk at the same time.

El Jeffe – December 29, 2016 08:23AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Bought the ring pro. (I coulda swore I posted that here, but do not see it)
I like.
But, a bit laggy when on cell and trying to connect.
and in the CLOUD recordings, I sometimes end up with videos, that "PLAY", but are all BLACK with NO NOISE... so for all intents... no real video.

I will be moving my router and adjusting asap to see if it mitigates.

But love that all our phones have fairy ring (think star trek transporter ethereal sounds) when motion/doorbell rang.
$30/year for cloud storage... good deal, imo.

Very very wide angle. I just need to angle it DOWN... I don't need so much cloud/sky/backlighting at all.
Thinking of putting motion-activated light near door/frame to enhance FACES that would otherwise be backlit from sun/ny sky.

Cloudscout – December 29, 2016 10:39AM Reply Quote
I want a non-proprietary doorbell camera that can be tied into my existing camera system here.

Cloudscout – December 29, 2016 10:49AM Reply Quote
DPBD

It's been a few months since I last searched and it looks like someone is finally selling one. DoorBird does the same cloud stuff as Ring but it's also ONVIF so it can run cloud-free. It even ticks my "nice-to-have" feature box with both WiFi and PoE support. $350 is a bit steep but I'm considering it.

http://www.doorbird.com/

El Jeffe – January 05, 2017 02:20PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Two recent acquisitions.

WINNER: Doorbell Pro
LOSER: Arlo

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login