Spork Boards

Digital Lifestyle

Cloudscout's Avatar Picture Cloudscout – December 16, 2007 07:54PM Reply Quote
"Digital hubs." iPod and its successors. (iPhone?) Convergence. How ridiculous will DRM get? Yep, put it all together and it just might make for a successful thread.

ARL (Moderator) – May 28, 2016 03:29AM Reply Quote

John Willoughby – June 07, 2016 05:22PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support

John Willoughby – June 08, 2016 01:54PM Reply Quote
Big news for the App Store. I foresee a lot of the big productivity apps moving to a subscription model. I don't think I will be subscribing to any.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2016 01:56PM by John Willoughby.

John Willoughby – June 08, 2016 02:02PM Reply Quote
Between the App Store change, and the continuing rumor that Apple is leaving their options open with regard to phasing out purchased music downloads it is obvious that Apple wants to move to predictable, continuing revenue streams rather than suffering from the purchasing whims of the public. Hell, their new iPhone sales models make it look like they are moving towards what is essentially subscription hardware as well.

While I don't like the move, it might work for them. But they will have to work HARD to clearly telegraph how the whole process works, especially during the transitions. They could easily alienate a lot of their current customers if they are perceived as moving to services that offer less value than purchases.

porruka (Admin) – June 08, 2016 02:04PM Reply Quote
The cat has your pipe.
John Willoughby
Big news for the App Store. I foresee a lot of the big productivity apps moving to a subscription model. I don't think I will be subscribing to any.

On its face, this will be nice. Subscriptions are in my roadmap and I was going to differentiate between monthly and annual to distinguish between what the article refers to as basic and premium... hopefully this will simplify things greatly.

John Willoughby – June 08, 2016 02:07PM Reply Quote
Aren't you a little worried about the customer making a monthly decision about continuing to use your product, rather than a one-time sales choice? I have a LOT of iOS apps that I bought for $2-$10 that would not have recouped that amount if I was paying a 50-cents-a-month subscription.

porruka (Admin) – June 08, 2016 02:24PM Reply Quote
The cat has your pipe.
John Willoughby
Aren't you a little worried about the customer making a monthly decision about continuing to use your product, rather than a one-time sales choice? I have a LOT of iOS apps that I bought for $2-$10 that would not have recouped that amount if I was paying a 50-cents-a-month subscription.

Not in my specific case, no.

WRT to pricing, I already have a pay-as-you-go base right now that charges a transaction fee. Certain additional features are going to be behind a subscription wall. If they come and go, so do the features. As long as Accept PayIt gets used in general, I receive revenue.

As a general comment, yes, I see your point, though inertial subscriptions (people who should unsubscribe but never get around to it) will probably fill some of the suspected gap. We've become a "what's my payment?" society (at least in the US) rather than "what's it cost?" so this change from Apple fits that.

If nothing else, there should be wild cheering of Apple for at least a month or two, considering how many years developers have been asking for change to the App Store models; ee're finally getting some. It'll take some time to figure out if it's better or worse, but at least there are signs of movement (he says, awaiting another App Review because of a random variation in metadata approval that 4 days ago was acceptable, 2 day ago apparently not...).

John Willoughby – June 08, 2016 02:30PM Reply Quote
Good point from Daring Fireball's discussion of this. I was thinking this, too:

Last but not least, the fact that these significant — dare I say dramatic — changes to the App Store didn’t make the cut for the WWDC keynote makes me damn curious about what did make the cut for the keynote. The optimist in me foresees a keynote full of great new features in iOS 10, Mac OS X (MacOS 12?), WatchOS 3, and tvOS. The cynic in me foresees a repeat of last year’s interminable Apple Music segment.

El Jeffe – June 08, 2016 06:00PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Smaller CUT is something that should be welcomed. Maybe get cross-selling back into Apple/Amazon.

But, I need a way to cut through all the crap and get GOOD APPS.

johnny k – June 08, 2016 06:48PM Reply Quote
I don't see how there will be a monthly decision - won't it just quietly charge you until you take action to cancel? That's how the apps I already subscribe to, like Instapaper, work. Albeit over an external payment system. I've been waiting for something like this to continue supporting Twitterrific. Makes me want to think of some subscription app ideas too. This will be a big deal. And the 85/15 split... also hoping it was basically the outcome of a negotiation with Amazon.

John Willoughby – June 08, 2016 07:42PM Reply Quote
I think that the month-to-month subscription choice will be made at credit card payment time.

ddt – June 08, 2016 09:44PM Reply Quote
The desktop app Sketch (from Bohemian Coding) just started moving to that model, too -- and I think they don't sell the app much through the OS X app store (but I haven't checked lately).

One thing to think about is that some apps deal only w/ content in the app, like Twitterific. Others, like Sketch, deal with files, and have to maintain or explain why not they're maintaining file compatibility.

(On the third hand, iOS apps don't deal with files, so that may not be an issue on iOS -- I can't think of an app where you share content outside of the app that isn't exported to a standard file format like PNG.)

ddt

Cloudscout – July 18, 2016 02:28PM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
I really liked the idea of the Kuna security camera/coach lamp device. The problem is, nobody seems willing to build products that aren't tied to some ongoing service fee anymore. In order to lock customers in, the Kuna product only works with their proprietary cloud service. This means it can't be used by anyone who wants to integrate their cameras into a system like Blue Iris. It's also useless to people who would like to use it in rural areas where broadband isn't available (or is subject to low usage caps) like a cabin... which is the sort of place where such systems are very popular since they sit empty most of the time. Same problem with the Ring doorbell product.

ddt – August 11, 2016 08:18PM Reply Quote
Anyone going to xoxo this year?

ddt

John Willoughby – August 11, 2016 08:21PM Reply Quote
Wake me up before you xoxo.

El Jeffe – August 11, 2016 08:34PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
so, it's two kisses and two hugs?
Green Party convention?

Cloudscout – August 11, 2016 10:08PM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
My 6 week experiment with the Blackberry Priv is about to end. I really like the phone. It's really well built but our AirWatch implementation kills it's battery life. The keyboard is nice but I can type much faster with SwiftKey so I almost never even slide the keyboard open on this thing. Next stop is a Sony Xperia Z3+

johnny k – August 12, 2016 11:20AM Reply Quote
Was going to go, but have a wedding to attend on the other coast. Still not exactly sure what I'll get out of it. I don't need to be inspired, but networking would be useful.

ARL (Moderator) – September 14, 2016 10:05PM Reply Quote
Thinking of dumping netflix and giving amazon prime a go for a while.

From what I've heard amazon isn't quite such a geoblock nazi.

Anyone use or have thoughts on the pros/cons?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2016 10:06PM by ARL.

Mokers (Moderator) – September 14, 2016 11:46PM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
They have a lot of the same movie content that they offer for free. There is a difference when it comes to a lot of tv series and obviously the original content. Netflix has a better interface to me. If you have a kindle tablet you can download amazon content for offline viewing which is a nice plus.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login