Spork Boards

Digital Lifestyle

Cloudscout's Avatar Picture Cloudscout – December 16, 2007 07:54PM Reply Quote
"Digital hubs." iPod and its successors. (iPhone?) Convergence. How ridiculous will DRM get? Yep, put it all together and it just might make for a successful thread.

bahamut – November 16, 2014 04:50PM Reply Quote
Do you know where the permissions are?

El Jeffe – November 16, 2014 05:44PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I'm sure I hacked at it wrong/ly...so I gave everyone read/write to a share.

Alan Lehman – November 18, 2014 03:58PM Reply Quote
Ah hah! I think I know why my transfers are so slow. I've been using sftp on the command line because it's supported by the Synology but it's dog slow. Using scp instead (also on the command line) gets me nearly drive speed transfers. But! But, the catch is that to use scp I have to route the transfer through my laptop with the NAS volume mounted. So, I'm copying from the server via scp to my laptop and writing directly to the NAS mounted drive on my laptop (/Volumes/Synology/) and that's _faster_ than using sftp direct from the server to the NAS. Go figure.

There are lots of web links that debate the speed merits of sftp vs scp and lots of (sometimes informed) speculation as to why this is the case. My anecdotal evidence suggests that scp is way faster in my hands.

Cloudscout – November 18, 2014 04:21PM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
So you're trying to copy data from a shared drive on a server to the Synology? What kind of server is it?

Cloudscout – November 18, 2014 04:27PM Reply Quote
DPBD

You might try enabling SSH on the Synology, then you could try connecting into it that way and then use scp to pull the files directly from the source server onto the NAS without using your laptop as a go-between.

Alan Lehman – November 19, 2014 04:09PM Reply Quote
It's a RS2212. SSH is enabled but I get the sense that it's to actually ssh in and poke around. When I try and scp I get 'lost connection'. Plus, ssh/scp aren't listed under "File Services" like sftp is but rather ssh/snmp are under server management.

Cloudscout – November 19, 2014 04:23PM Reply Quote
What is the other server, the one that you are trying to copy the files from?

Mokers (Moderator) – November 19, 2014 10:50PM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin

johnny k – November 21, 2014 10:59AM Reply Quote
I need a cheap-ass 30-pin speaker dock or something similar, that lets me use an old iPod to play music for the baby's nursery. I'd rather not have to have a bunch of cables running from the iPod. Anything super cheap out there? Dealmac turns up nothing.

tomierna (Admin) – November 21, 2014 12:24PM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
JohnnyK, Meh has 30-pin JBL docks frequently.

El Jeffe – November 21, 2014 02:45PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I've never thought about searching Twitter to shop for items, but on a lark (is that a saying?) I did....
$26 - http://dailysale.com/logitech-s400i-30-pin-ipod-iphone-alarm-clock-speaker-dock.html
$45 - name band Sony. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-ICFCS15IP-30-Pin-iPod-iPhone-Speaker-Dock-Black/301075373657?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item46197d9e59
$29 - Nice JBL http://www.harmanaudio.com/refurbished-speakers/ONBEATAWAKEBLKAM-Z.html?CJPID=CJ

Oh, and I even originally tried the "Pay the Bills" B&H with nothing noteworthy...

DDT?.... you've stated here before you have URL shorteners.... how do you EVER put up with Twitter... which is ALL shortened URLs? Or have you stopped your short-hating, bigoted, blue state biases???? (bwhahahaahahaahahh love ya!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2014 02:46PM by El Jeffe.

ddt – November 21, 2014 02:50PM Reply Quote
your short-hating

Is that a short joke!? Okay, you may have reach, but wolverines are small critters, too!

ddt

El Jeffe – November 21, 2014 03:11PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
short-URL hating... hater of squished-linky-poos... and so on..
(are you also height challenged? How would I KNOW that?)
;)

El Jeffe – November 21, 2014 05:06PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
stopped in walmart. I took photos with Treo but too blurry to read numbers.
They have a 30-pin cylindrical dock for $17.88 on the shelf. name brand ends in ANN... but again, lousy photo.

johnny k – November 22, 2014 02:17AM Reply Quote
Jeez, thanks for finding some good ones, fellas. I did not realize how many good cheap ones there are out there. I ended up with this Phillips because I needed something without a glaring display in the night, it has a built-in rechargeable battery, and I like good design. http://www.amazon.com/Philips-DS7650-37-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B005OYR9D8/ref=lh_ni_t?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1GAD27JKMQM26

El Jeffe – November 22, 2014 06:20AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
good luck with it.

Alan Lehman – November 22, 2014 11:16AM Reply Quote
Remy,

Thanks! That looks like the holy grail of making that damn thing useful.

CS,

The other server(s) are a mix of Ubuntu 12.04 and CentOS 6.5 rack mounts. We're migrating from 12.04 to 6.5 and moving the data off the main drive is part of the process.

Cloudscout – November 22, 2014 07:10PM Reply Quote
In trying to decide on which NAS to get for home to replace my nearly-full Seagate NAS, I decided I was just going to put a bunch of drives in my Windows Server instead.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login