Spork Boards

Digital Lifestyle

Cloudscout's Avatar Picture Cloudscout – December 16, 2007 07:54PM Reply Quote
"Digital hubs." iPod and its successors. (iPhone?) Convergence. How ridiculous will DRM get? Yep, put it all together and it just might make for a successful thread.

morganti – February 01, 2008 12:41PM Reply Quote
Heh.... Oops...

http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/article3264556.ece

Morg "Well, I'm sure the deals will get done any day now.." anti

tliet – February 01, 2008 11:28PM Reply Quote
We're not all SJ...

El Jeffe – February 11, 2008 12:05PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I like the looks of this thing for some reason.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/02/11/hands-on-with-lgs-qwerty-clamshell-the-kt610/

What a journey.

Mokers (Moderator) – February 11, 2008 02:41PM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
http://gizmodo.com/355052/mynetflix-media-center-plug+in-turns-your-pc-into-a-true-netflix-box

Dammit apple. I want NetFlix on AppleTV! I know it is not as easy as this media center plugin, since NetFlix doesn't have a mac client yet, but this really would be awesome.

Dr Phred (Moderator) – February 11, 2008 06:39PM Reply Quote
owned by the mothership.
But Steve wants you to rent from him, not netflix.

But I want that too!

Madaracs – February 15, 2008 08:03PM Reply Quote
Ooh! Scary! Scary! Don't we look mean? You can't see me! But I can see you!
iPod update 1.1.1 Classic

Dr Phred (Moderator) – February 15, 2008 09:53PM Reply Quote
owned by the mothership.
any tips on how to get netflix instant watch to work with parallels and XP? I keep getting activeX not enabled errors but it looks like it is enabled....

Mokers (Moderator) – February 15, 2008 10:47PM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
Hmmm, install VMWare?

J/K. Are you running IE7? That's what I am using.

Dr Phred (Moderator) – February 16, 2008 09:35AM Reply Quote
owned by the mothership.
vmware stopped working on my system. Yep ie 7.

Simon – February 17, 2008 07:48PM Reply Quote
Maybe it requires accelerated graphics. Does parallels support that yet?

Cloudscout – February 22, 2008 04:59PM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
Everybody keeps comparing the HD-DVD vs Blu-Ray war to the Beta vs VHS wars... but there are some who say that Blu-Ray's victory is short-lived as it will be overshadowed by downloaded content.

This makes me wonder if the Beta/VHS comparison should be replaced by a DCC/MiniDisc comparison.

Remember Digital Compact Cassette? Few people do. It was released around the same time as MiniDisc and had the players had the distinction of being able to playback old analog cassettes in addition to the new digital ones. It quickly failed as people chose MiniDisc over DCC. MiniDisc "won" that battle but it was a hollow victory as it was never destined for widespread acceptance as MP3 players quickly eclipsed its minor successes.

So, is Blu-Ray really the next VHS or does Sony have another MiniDisc on their hands?

stan adams – February 25, 2008 12:51PM Reply Quote
I seem to recall DCC being a minor hit with hard core "live tapers" aka Grateful Dead followers...

Physical media is important. It won't ever go completely away, but it is not even at the point where people are talking about a "plateau" or anything. For years you've been able to get the DVD equivalent of "catalog remainders" at Wal~Mart for a fraction of the original MSRP. Some of these are "classics" from prior eras, but they still sell. I suspect the vast majority of such titles will never be pressed at BluRay, but new releases and the myriad "special edition" films will be.

El Jeffe – February 25, 2008 01:40PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
i never knew a single soul to buy/use DCC. Only mini-disc

What a journey.

El Jeffe – March 08, 2008 04:27PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I hate 50's tech 1/8" or 1/4" mini plug and jacks. My iPod's jack is getting wonky.

APPLE NEEDS to implement MagSafe tech for the iPod dock.

What a journey.

Curtis – March 08, 2008 05:18PM Reply Quote
Magnets and audio signals... hmm.

El Jeffe – March 09, 2008 09:18PM Reply Quote
What a journey.

bahamut – March 10, 2008 12:10AM Reply Quote
>i suspect the vast majority of such titles will never be pressed at BluRay, but new releases and the myriad "special edition" films will be.

I dunno. I thought the same thing about VHS and that went its own sloppy way.

Now THEN AGAIN, I would agree with you in the sense that a lot of older stuff would have to be remastered to get onto Blu-Ray properly. Case in point, the first release of Full Metal Jacket is a dog's turd on a stick. But when you see something like 2001 remastered, OMFG. I liked that movie, but the DVD experience was so-so. I bought it at the local Best Buy along with my player thinking, what the fuck, this is the last one I ever have to buy, right? I was totally blown away. I expected Blade Runner to be good. Ratouille and Cars are fantastic. Spiderman 3 can induce vertigo (try that with your DVD player!) but 2001 was just phenomenal. If you have any fondness for this film, buy a Blu-Ray player and the Blu-Ray DVD now. It is THAT good. Honestly, I don't remember it being that good on cinema. Here I have to admit that the intense brightness of an LCD screen begins to compete and even outdo film. Not surprising... See here: http://www.filmschoolonline.com/sample_lessons/sample_lesson_HD_vs_35mm.htm

My argument for Blu-Ray is simple... All those guys with HDTVs and home theaters. WTF are they going to do now, buy a goddamn appletv and be happy forever? Not for a while. Not for a while... The local Sony Style store was really pushing the Blu-Ray. My sense is that the Best Buys and all those guys will too. If not, they are going to be slaughtered when it comes to DVD sales and such one day very soon (cuz iTunes is competitive with DVD).

El Jeffe – March 10, 2008 07:53AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I wonder if one could use this to dump directly to a Mac drive that is 'served'/shared and/or AppleTV or FrontRow compatible.

http://www.neurostechnology.com/

Finding my stand-alone DVD recorder crapped out last night, I might just get this.

What a journey.

Simon – March 10, 2008 09:17PM Reply Quote
They discussed that last week on mac break weekly. Apparently it will dump to whatever storage device is attached. I think it has to be a local device rather than networked.

> Plug your storage into Neuros OSD. Storage includes USB flash drive, external hard drive, and memory cards

Mokers (Moderator) – March 10, 2008 11:57PM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
JW,

I know you used to do DirecTV. have you tried the on demand features yet?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login