Spork Boards

Digital Lifestyle

Cloudscout's Avatar Picture Cloudscout – December 16, 2007 07:54PM Reply Quote
"Digital hubs." iPod and its successors. (iPhone?) Convergence. How ridiculous will DRM get? Yep, put it all together and it just might make for a successful thread.

ARL (Moderator) – August 31, 2015 02:33AM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!

El Jeffe – August 31, 2015 05:21AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
our ATV remote has had a wide green ribbon about a foot long duct-taped to it after we kept losing it.

ARL (Moderator) – August 31, 2015 07:54AM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
You had that problem too?

You know there's an Apple remote app you can install on your phone?

El Jeffe – August 31, 2015 08:26AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
find my ATV REMOTE I see being 'a thing' :)
actually, would not surprise me if AWatch operated the ATV

bahamut – September 01, 2015 08:52AM Reply Quote
Crap. Who wants an AppleTV remote? I'm glad to lose mine. Doesn't Apple realize that people hate remotes? I want to be able to operate my AppleTV from my logitech remote or iPhone like always. No special dedicated carp.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/2015 08:52AM by bahamut.

Roger – September 01, 2015 12:21PM Reply Quote
It's got to be all about gaming, doesn't it? I'm just going to think of all the "remote" rumors as game controller rumors until proven otherwise. If basic video watching isn't easily controllable without the game-controller-thing (with voice and/or iOS and/or universal remotes) I'll be very surprised.

El Jeffe – September 01, 2015 04:08PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I gotta say, I think xbox interface (morphed into Windows8/10?) is pretty good for this intended use/r.

John Willoughby – December 06, 2015 06:05PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
Welp, tried to get iTunes Match going again. Followed these instructions to clear out the garbled info from my previous subscription.

Still a bad idea.

It hasn't seemed to do the random fragmenting and duplicating of playlists that were so bad when I tried a few years ago, but it still decided that all mp3's that didn't match Apple Store products weren't "in the cloud" (many of them actually are in the iTMS) and didn't put them there automatically (Very Bad). It then deleted them from all playlists in which they appeared. If I want to keep iTunes Match going (or iCloud Music Library, or whatever the hell it is currently marketed as), I am going to have to manually upload a thousand songs and manually scour dozens of playlists for missing songs and replace them.

I have told it to start the upload; for some reason it is checking to see if they have miraculously appeared in the iTMS in the last twenty minutes.

Why the hell isn't there an "Erase my iCloud Music Library so that I can start over" button, given how badly the library sucks? And has sucked, for years.

I have a solid backup that I can restore to, if I must, but I really want to make this work.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2015 06:05PM by John Willoughby.

John Willoughby – December 06, 2015 06:18PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
Christ, my main playlist went from 454 songs to 211. I can't manually update all of these fucking things. I guess that I will restore from backup and hit up Apple for a refund.

How can this be so horrible, with so little outrage?

ARL (Moderator) – March 25, 2016 08:33PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Netflix is rapidly becoming just another dirty company.

ddt – April 08, 2016 09:47PM Reply Quote
Anyone ever do anything in Processing (https://processing.org)? It looked interesting, in a "let's make interactive art that looks like 1990s Video Toaster or early Laurie Anderson video" way. Then I learned it was basically Java. Not Javascript.

ddt

johnny k – April 09, 2016 08:12AM Reply Quote
Yeah, did tons of stuff in it. It's a great way to get to drawing graphics as quickly as possible. You'll forget about Java until you get really deep into it. What your art looks like depends on your creativity. :)

ddt – April 09, 2016 02:30PM Reply Quote
Ha, good to know, thanks. I think I'd start finding myself waking up in alleys in strange cities if I tried learning Processing/Java and Coffeescript at the same time (Framer also does moving graphics, animations, and interactions, though it's far more app-centric).

Just saw a tutorial video on Processing to produce slit-scan images and I went right to dual-slit interferometry...

ETA: That's right, Processing came out of MIT! Is that where you used it, JK?

ddt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2016 02:38PM by ddt.

johnny k – April 09, 2016 10:18PM Reply Quote
Yeah, it was made by two guys in my research group (or rather, the predecessor, a couple of years prior). I think it's one of the best things to come out of the Media Lab, for fostering graphics programming literacy in the same way Logo did.
Here's a thing I did in it, which went into this. You'd turn a knob to navigate. So much math!

ddt – April 10, 2016 12:14AM Reply Quote
The golden frame of the final (?) product, with the etching/engraving (hard to tell from the photo) reminds me of the Voyager golden record.

ddt

johnny k – April 10, 2016 12:38AM Reply Quote
Nice comparison. It's sand-etched brass.

ddt – April 27, 2016 09:05PM Reply Quote
Has anyone tried this? Peter Cohen likes it, says it doesn't have to keylog: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/word-flow-keyboard-english/id1077864246?mt=8

ddt

Cloudscout – April 28, 2016 09:07AM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
I can say that Wordflow is awesome on Windows Phone. I wish they would do an Android version now.

johnny k – May 10, 2016 06:04PM Reply Quote
Word Flow is the keyboard I was missing from my Windows Phone. If I can figure out how to get it to stick as the default keyboard I'll be in heaven. Swiping is so superior, especially with one hand. Only thing missing is the force touch to move the cursor but I barely use that.

ddt – May 10, 2016 07:09PM Reply Quote
I'm kind of sold on it on iOS. Though a factor might be how utterly awful I am at one-finger default iOS typing.

ddt

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login