Spork Boards

N00b

brian – March 13, 2008 07:27PM Reply Quote
Hello Everyone,

Madaracs said I need to join this forum since I now own a Mac Mini, that used to be his. So I did. I have not had a Mac since my LCII. But I just wanted to say hi and throw out my first question.

I hooked up the mini to my LCD HDTV, just using a DVI->VGA. I am only getting a workable resolution of 1024x768. Is there a issue with getting it to do 1900x1200 though VGA? I do have a DVI->HDMI on order, but I am impatient.

Any thoughts would be wonderful.

thanks,
Brian

Steve Cordova – March 13, 2008 08:26PM Reply Quote
History passes the first time as tragedy, the second time as farts. - Roy Edroso
I think it depends on the native resolution of your TV. I have a 3-4 year old LCD projection HD that is 1080i so the max resolution i get is 1280 x 768. < edit > (this is using the VGA port. I get better resolution using DVI, however i don't have a dvi switcher).< /edit >

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2008 08:29PM by Steve Cordova.

ARL (Moderator) – March 13, 2008 09:06PM Reply Quote
I think VGA has certain limits - I don't think it will do anythjing close to 1900 by 1200. In fact, that 768 number is ringing a bell...

Where's Curtis? He'd know this stuff...

Steve Cordova – March 13, 2008 09:16PM Reply Quote
History passes the first time as tragedy, the second time as farts. - Roy Edroso
Here is the chart for VGA comparison:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VGA#Comparison_chart

From the current mac mini technical specs:

# VGA video output (using included adapter) to support analog resolutions up to 1920 by 1080 pixels. I think Tom might also know this better than I do.

Madaracs – March 13, 2008 10:32PM Reply Quote
Ooh! Scary! Scary! Don't we look mean? You can't see me! But I can see you!
brian
Hello Everyone,

Madaracs said I need to join this forum since I now own a Mac Mini, that used to be his. So I did. I have not had a Mac since my LCII. But I just wanted to say hi and throw out my first question.

I hooked up the mini to my LCD HDTV, just using a DVI->VGA. I am only getting a workable resolution of 1024x768. Is there a issue with getting it to do 1900x1200 though VGA? I do have a DVI->HDMI on order, but I am impatient.

Any thoughts would be wonderful.

thanks,
Brian

Yeah, dood. You'll have to deal until you get your DVI to HDMI cable and it can run native resolutions. I think on the old board I actually locked myself out of my computer with my resolution. I had to blindly navigate back using the other mac in the house.

When that cable arrive you'll be able to run the native resolution of your TV.

:) Welcome aboard.

brian – March 14, 2008 06:56AM Reply Quote
Thanks for all the feed back. To bad I have to wait. I just want to play now!

El Jeffe – March 14, 2008 07:05AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
You should always have a bootable removable media (CD/DVD/Firewire hard drive/iPod).

What a journey.

tliet – March 14, 2008 08:31AM Reply Quote
Is is coincidence that Brian has entered these boards in almost the same way as Madaracs?

El Jeffe – March 14, 2008 08:37AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
via the URL?

What a journey.

Madaracs – March 14, 2008 09:43AM Reply Quote
Heh. I think he means creating his own thread... This was probably more suited to HTMac but he's not used to the board yet. Although renaming "Welcome" to "N00b" would be funny.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2008 09:44AM by Madaracs.

El Jeffe – March 14, 2008 09:46AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I see welcome as more a SPORK GUTS kinda thing. Not topical, just about the 'place'

What a journey.

Madaracs – March 14, 2008 09:47AM Reply Quote
Yeah. :-) True dat.

Curtis – March 14, 2008 12:43PM Reply Quote
I'm too slow. Too many disasters at work.

brian – March 15, 2008 09:41PM Reply Quote
ok, I got my nifty DVI -> HDMI cable and I now have the option for 1900x1200. When I select it the display works, but it looks like crap. screen shakes a bit, and just is not happy. Anyone know of a setting I would need to tweak or a driver that I need?

Madaracs – March 16, 2008 07:48AM Reply Quote
Probably not a driver issue. What is the native resolution of the TV? (check the manual)

If it's 720-- you should run 720.

If it's 1080--you should run a resolution in 1080.

morganti – March 18, 2008 08:43AM Reply Quote
Also, what's your cable length. Generally I "rule of thumb" less than 5 meters (16ft) for any DVI/HDMI type signaling. Its MUCH more finicky than VGA.

Not that I would recommend VGA at a long distance EITHER. That "rule of thumb" is a little less "hard". Ive seen 1280x1024 run at 50ft on good cable. Ive also seen 1024x768 run at 35ft look like total crap over fairly decent cable. It is VERY susceptible to noise. Hopefully the TV is designed to have DVI input from a computer. I know that RearProj CRTs generally are really bad at taking dvi/hdmi input from computers, because of the overscan.

Morg "I know some, but only enough to be dangerous." anti

Curtis – March 19, 2008 11:39AM Reply Quote
DVI over long distances requires these.

http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=1378
http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=2938
One to replace the handshake/EDID thing, the other for stronger signal.

Just ran into a thing at work where they want me to send 5x 2560x1600 DVI (Dual Link) over 50ft of cable. The A/V Engineers thought it couldn't be done without fiber, and nobody makes fiber dual link DVI. Hmmph. This ended up being much cheaper...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login