Spork Boards

Tipples and Drams...

ARL (Moderator) – February 06, 2015 08:09PM Reply Quote
I know there's a beer thread around here somewhere but I was wondering how many sporkers are whiskey (note the "e" - I am Irish after all) and/or other distilled beverage fans?

Share your tasting notes below!

ARL (Moderator) – September 21, 2015 07:45PM Reply Quote
Johnny Walker Red in particular has a bad reputation in Australia:

https://www.danmurphys.com.au/product/DM_9068/johnnie-walker-red-label-scotch-whisky-700ml

Read some of the reviews, they are not exactly kind...

Oh and even the promotional blurb says "The Red Label was first introduced in 1909 and contains an expert blend of 35 grain and malt whiskies to produce a whiskey ideally suited for mixing."

Damned with faint praise indeed!

I may have to try JW black again. My memory of it wasn't great, I found Chivas a much better drop and it's my "go to" drink to have with ice if I'm at a bar.

I am quite curious about the Green label though:

https://www.danmurphys.com.au/product/DM_903258/johnnie-walker-green-label-scotch-whisky-700ml

Roger – September 21, 2015 11:52PM Reply Quote
I really do have a suspicion they're shipping something different to Australia in those bottles (have heard this rumor repeatedly about JW Red sold into Asian markets). Whisky Mag always likes the JW blends, and my scotch buddies generally tend to agree with them, but they're huge global brands in a market where demand is far outstripping the available supply, and distillers and blenders are taking lots of shortcuts to try to keep up.

ARL (Moderator) – September 22, 2015 01:17AM Reply Quote
Roger, I think you are correct. I read that review/tasting notes and it's nothing like that in Australia. Reading through the arguments in the review section here I'm assuming the 1 and 2 stars are for the mass-market rough one and the people getting all upset about the "haters & snobs" must have the "premium" red label version.

There's a big market in Asia/India/Australia where JW Red is either combined with soda or some other mixer and people like the "rough" taste.

(And all that macho crap about you're not a real man unless you're drinking a rough "real man's drink")

It's the only way to explain the popularity of the truly awful Bundaberg Rum.

People talk about what mixer they like best with it to best hide the taste. Yuck!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2015 01:26AM by ARL.

bahamut – September 22, 2015 10:03AM Reply Quote
Hmm… I've never had terrible JW. I just wouldn't ever order it or buy it. I guess the black label is cheap enough, but if I look, I can generally get one of the Bulleit's for the same price.

ARL (Moderator) – September 26, 2015 05:57AM Reply Quote
I got a bottle of Bulleit on a whim. And yes, dollar for dollar, far better than any JW equivalents. Surprised it was so cheap.

I had it both neat and with mixer. I prefer it neat (not sure how you have it) - definitely better than the standard Jim Beam/Jack Daniels fare (both make my shudder when drinking even if watered down with mixer). Better than Canadian Club or Jameson's too actually (I know that's apples and oranges).

Certainly smooth - anything neat that doesn't burn is a thumbs up. But I missed that syrupy complexity you get with aged single malts.

I need to compare it with Makers Mark (and if I get a chance, with some old rip van winkle and other exotic breeds) - I sometimes have MM with ice but don't think I've had it neat.

[edit] Side note. Never have a drink with a mixer like coke/pespsi followed by something decent neat. Your palate is ruined. This Dalwhinnie 15yo I'm having, normally "the honey malt", tastes far worse after drinking diet pepsi. Still ok, but lesson learned!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2015 06:09AM by ARL.

bahamut – October 02, 2015 05:48PM Reply Quote
You got Bulleit down under? Wow. Impressed. Glad you liked.

I prefer it to Maker's Mark. My second favorite of those sorts would be Woodford Reserve.

ARL (Moderator) – October 02, 2015 08:35PM Reply Quote
Haven't found the Bulleit Rye (and is it pronounced "bullet" or "bul-lay"?) yet but the standard one was quite good.

They're actually promoting it quite heavily here atm - mostly the premixed cans (which, regardless of the brand, I detest - the mixer is always godawful syrup).

My whiskey collection is getting a bit unwieldy again.

Jameson Gold is fantastic - forget the small batch or the 18yo - this is by far the best of the Jameson range (if you can still find the Jameson 12yo that's a close second).

I also mourned finishing the Nikka bottle with Yamazaki distillers reserve. Damn those Japanese distillers are craftsmen.

bahamut – October 02, 2015 09:34PM Reply Quote
Bull eat. The rye is nirvana. Spicy, easier to drink. Too easy to drink. Way too easy.

ARL (Moderator) – December 18, 2015 06:45PM Reply Quote
Good news for you American folks:

http://walshwhiskey.com/2015/12/writers-tears-hits-us-market/

Writers Tears now available in the US. It's well worth the $40.

Jeff Cooper – December 18, 2015 08:49PM Reply Quote
ARL
Good news for you American folks:

http://walshwhiskey.com/2015/12/writers-tears-hits-us-market/

Writers Tears now available in the US. It's well worth the $40.

Sounds worth a try. Unfortunately, I suspect it will be awhile longer before it makes its way to Indiana.

ARL (Moderator) – December 20, 2015 07:06AM Reply Quote

ddt – December 20, 2015 03:50PM Reply Quote
Had part of a kombucha beer the other night. Interesting taste -- I like kombucha, and I like beer, and I could taste both, but it still seemed like two separate tastes.

ddt

ARL (Moderator) – August 25, 2016 08:43PM Reply Quote
Ooh!

http://walshwhiskey.com/2016/08/irish-red-head-adds-to-writers-tears/

Sounds awesome but a limited edition of 12000 :(

ARL (Moderator) – December 22, 2016 05:33AM Reply Quote
Hey Baha

I know a while back you were a big fan of Bulleit Rye?

If you can find a bottle, get yourself JP Wisers lot 40 Canadian Rye Whiskey.

It's around A$70 so over there maybe oh, an Andrew Jackson or two. (Bulleit Rye is A$55-60).

It's like Bulleit but more awesome. Velvety smooth with a peppery finish.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2016 05:34AM by ARL.

bahamut – December 22, 2016 09:49PM Reply Quote
Hey thanks, ARL. Draining some Bulleit Bourbon right now. I'll look for it. 1776 is similar too.

ARL (Moderator) – January 17, 2017 04:32AM Reply Quote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login