Spork Boards

I Watch, You Watch, We All Watch For iWatch

John Willoughby's Avatar Picture John Willoughby – September 08, 2014 07:23PM Reply Quote
We need a thread for this, even in the vanishingly small chance that the iWatch isn't announced tomorrow.

Roger – October 09, 2015 03:08PM Reply Quote

Something just feels wrong to me about rebooting a watch.

Absolutely. If the first few iPhones had had software quality this poor, it'd have made adoption a lot more limited. But the Watch is essentially in an extended early-adopter beta test at this point; the time to worry is probably if it's still this flaky a year from now.

bahamut – October 20, 2015 05:33PM Reply Quote
I have barely used my watch in almost two months. I'm bringing it with me on a trip to Europe. Let's see how much I use it. If Strava doesn't incorporate a heart monitor by Xmas, I'll get rid of it.

Jeff Cooper – November 06, 2015 09:54PM Reply Quote
I was in the Apple Store in Indianapolis today at about 4 p.m. It was jam-packed as usual, although the space around the iPad table was noticeably less densely occupied. But the space around the watch tables (one display table, one demo table) was downright vacant.

I'd still buy one if it had GPS. But the product doesn't exactly look like a success.

El Jeffe – November 07, 2015 07:36AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I was almost there at same time, but will go today.
Our Apple Store must be the WORST/smallest in the world, imo.
I want to get ATV.
And want to see 4k iMac.
Good idea on GPS.

Jeff Cooper – November 12, 2015 09:07AM Reply Quote
El Jeffe
I was almost there at same time, but will go today.
Our Apple Store must be the WORST/smallest in the world, imo.
I want to get ATV.
And want to see 4k iMac.
Good idea on GPS.

I'm baffled that they haven't either enlarged the store or moved into a new space since it opened. It's ridiculously cramped. The Microsoft Store, which gets about 1/10th the traffic, is at least twice as big.

ARL (Moderator) – April 26, 2016 06:18PM Reply Quote

bahamut – April 26, 2016 06:27PM Reply Quote
Dude is some moron. Maybe a millennial or something.

Roger – April 26, 2016 08:01PM Reply Quote
The "awful" framing is a clickbaity melodramatic crock, but most of the issues discussed in the piece are more or less real even if he's overstating their severity. (What's the overreacting-against counterpart of an early adopter? An early departer?) The incremental improvements we all expect will take care of a lot of it in a year or two, but the Watch's interaction model really does needs a bit of a basic rethink (buttons, navigation, etc are all much more mysterious than they should be). It'll get there, it just isn't there yet.

bahamut – April 26, 2016 10:56PM Reply Quote
Roger is right, but to say messages are useless is insanity....

John Willoughby – April 27, 2016 10:56AM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
I wear my Apple Watch every day, but the UI is terrible. I keep it because it does a few things I like, and I've always been a watch-wearer, but it succeeds despite its software, not because of it.

I like the hardware, though thinner would be better, and I cannot propose a better UI. But I know that I don't like the one that it has.

ddt – April 27, 2016 12:28PM Reply Quote
It's against Apple's DNA, but a distinct, medical-vertical band plus work on their cloud-based (ha, Apple's cloud services) HealtKit and related could be huge. They have done a lot of great groundwork for academics and science; now only if they could allow that to become a real thing, internally.

ddt

Roger – April 27, 2016 01:24PM Reply Quote
John Willoughby
I wear my Apple Watch every day, but the UI is terrible. I keep it because it does a few things I like, and I've always been a watch-wearer, but it succeeds despite its software, not because of it.

I have to agree with this. I think the basic UI problem is just complexity: there are too many different kinds of object (apps vs. glances vs. faces) and too many different kinds of navigation between them (tap complications vs. swipe glances vs. go to the home screen vs. double-click crown vs. the side button that seems to exist for no reason). It just needs to be much simpler, more like the initial iPhone/iOS navigation: home button takes you home, tapping things from there opens them, that's it. I think for starters they need to pick one of the two UIs Glance/App and just scrap the other one entirely.

bahamut
to say messages are useless is insanity

I agree with this too. Texting/messaging from the watch is super-useful for me when I'm running around and need to communicate with people I'm trying to meet or make plans with. It's not a complicated or mysterious value proposition, so it's weird that the company doesn't seem to have gotten it into the press's heads.

Messaging, notifications, health tracking. That's what it does well right now. The rest is yet to come, or else still too half-baked to use, it's a 1.0 product.

Cloudscout – April 27, 2016 04:59PM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
Why does Microsoft seem to be the only one making real improvements in UI lately? The UI on the Microsoft Band is really good. Of course it focuses on fitness more than actual smartwatch features but it also does things like responding to text messages either by voice or a rather novel touch keyboard design. The Microsoft Health app that manages it is also fantastic. It's also fully cross-platform (iOS, Android and Windows). Where they fail is in battery life and waterproofing.

I've read that the Apple Watch is actually quite waterproof but they haven't sought certification as such. Developers have even created apps that do swim tracking and stuff but Apple won't approve them because they would encourage users to void their warranties by wearing the watch in the pool.

ARL (Moderator) – April 27, 2016 07:58PM Reply Quote
A glimmer of hope downunder:

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/business/banking-and-finance/apple-anz-bank-strike-deal-for-apple-pay-to-australia-20160427-gogp0r.html

JW
I like the hardware, though thinner would be better

And this is why we don't get our BBMBPs...

John Willoughby – April 27, 2016 09:04PM Reply Quote
Different platforms for different tasks. BBMBP, but svelte and lithe watch.

John Willoughby – April 27, 2016 09:12PM Reply Quote
Cloudscout
Why does Microsoft seem to be the only one making real improvements in UI lately?

Honestly, I think that they've had an epiphany. The days when the world worshipped at the feet of Windows are gone. The days when corporations couldn't do without Office are passing. Microsoft knows that they have to try better and try smarter and they are. It will be really weird if I finish this decade as a MS fan-boy.

ARL (Moderator) – April 27, 2016 09:21PM Reply Quote
Every time I start thinking "you know what, these Microsoft products aren't too bad" they do something to annoy me, like Word & Excel 2016 - slow to load and unresponsive and buggy as hell.

bahamut – April 28, 2016 10:15AM Reply Quote
If the Apple Watch can be worn in the pool, it's insane not to get it certified!

Yes, the UI sucks. I won't disagree with it. Just that the article suggested the thing is utterly useless, that was bunk. I actively wish it were better. Or worse so I could wear a normal watch again. I think it's ludicrously geeky. But it works for me. I get VIP emails and messages, I use Strava obsessively, I check the weather. That is what matters.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2016 10:17AM by bahamut.

porruka (Admin) – April 28, 2016 10:21AM Reply Quote
The cat has your pipe.
bahamut
If the Apple Watch can be worn in the pool, it's insane not to get it certified!

Perhaps not. Bluetooth won't work through water (it absorbs the 2.4Ghz signals). Many apps still overly rely on the connection to the phone for proper operation, which would lead to a horrible experience for the every(wo)man.

With Apple's recent announcement that native apps will be required, you may see more of these "features" come to light.

John Willoughby – April 28, 2016 10:32AM Reply Quote
I also think that once you get it certified, you have a whole new range of warranty repairs to expect, and a whole new realm for people to complain about. Just bake in the functionality and let the people who want to push the envelope live dangerously. Unless you can get Aquaman product placement.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login