Spork Boards

I Watch, You Watch, We All Watch For iWatch

John Willoughby's Avatar Picture John Willoughby – September 08, 2014 07:23PM Reply Quote
We need a thread for this, even in the vanishingly small chance that the iWatch isn't announced tomorrow.

El Jeffe – May 09, 2015 05:06AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Would love to hear how you used it. Liked it. Etc.

John Willoughby – May 09, 2015 09:41PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
This is an excellent summary:
http://arstechnica.com/apple/2015/05/review-the-absolutely-optional-apple-watch-and-watch-os-1-0/

I think that, if you expect a wristwatch with some ability to live-update info from the internet, it's fine. If you want heartbeat monitoring, and fitness-tracking, it's fine. If you want to check tweets, mail, or iMessages from your wrist, rather than dragging out your phone, it's fine. I haven't tried to take a call on it, yet. Any other expectations may not be met. I think that the UI is first-generation and not very intuitive in a lot of ways. But I see no reason that that can't improve with updates and/or familiarity. Responsiveness for anything interacting with the phone can be subject to the odd moment of lag. I wish that there more more watch faces/complications, but those will be coming. The comment that I read that the watch was intended to be used for seconds, rather than minutes, is how I've been using it. I quick-check the time (of course), and texts and emails. I'm letting the activity app boss me around a little bit, but I may turn that off soon. I got a calculator app that I like for it, but there is an odd lag for operations. Maybe it's letting the phone do them? I would think that basic arithmetic could be done by the watch, even if it needs the phone for advanced trig, but what do I know? Maybe something else is going on. FYI, although you can put music on your watch, you can only listen to it with bluetooth headphones; otherwise you can use the watch as a remote to play music from your phone (start/stop/next/previous, no selecting of playlists). You can put photos on it, but I'm not sure why you'd bother. I'm sure that it's got all sorts of other features that I will notice once I've gotten used to the basics, but for now this is how I am using it.

[EDIT]
I should say, I like it. But I am glad I didn't get the $1,100 version.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2015 09:42PM by John Willoughby.

James DeBenedetti – May 10, 2015 03:53PM Reply Quote
John Willoughby
I got a calculator app that I like for it, but there is an odd lag for operations. Maybe it's letting the phone do them? I would think that basic arithmetic could be done by the watch, even if it needs the phone for advanced trig, but what do I know? Maybe something else is going on.

My understanding is the only thing WatchKit allows third party developers to do with the watch right now is display visuals. All computation (including animation of those visuals) is handled by the iPhone.

ddt – May 10, 2015 11:19PM Reply Quote
Marco Arment talked about that in the latest ATP podcast.

ddt

bahamut – May 12, 2015 10:54PM Reply Quote
I'd get one, but I don't want to wait for July. Any thoughts?

James DeBenedetti – May 13, 2015 10:58AM Reply Quote

ARL (Moderator) – June 09, 2015 07:47PM Reply Quote

bahamut – June 12, 2015 09:14PM Reply Quote
i got one. definitely feels very version 1.0, but some stuff is there.

being able to hit ok to dismiss messages.
running with strava (MUST set it so that raising your arm returns you to the last app, not the watch face)
taking calls isn't bad either.
i upped a bid on ebay.
i read my messages and replied to some by siri (simple stuff only)
i thought that 35 minutes of running and doing stuff all day would mean enough standing. i guess not.

and so on.

Roger – June 13, 2015 12:44PM Reply Quote
I'd say it feels more like a 0.9beta than a 1.0.1 in terms of software, honestly. I have to reboot my watch daily now so that it will remember what time are sunrise and sunset.

John Willoughby – June 13, 2015 07:15PM Reply Quote
It might be more a matter of rebooting your phone.

Roger – June 13, 2015 07:27PM Reply Quote
Doesn't seem to be, so far. Solar and Astronomy faces and sunset complications pretty reliably fail to work correctly after a day or two for me, and then work again after rebooting the watch. It's just pretty buggy, still.

johnny k – June 13, 2015 10:03PM Reply Quote
#youhadonejob

bahamut – June 14, 2015 08:14AM Reply Quote
i don't understand why i don't get more haptic alerts. i've received one so far. why not moer?

Ron Burns – June 14, 2015 04:37PM Reply Quote
"We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation." Voltaire
Aw, that's touching..

ARL (Moderator) – June 14, 2015 08:17PM Reply Quote
I feel for you, Baha...

John Willoughby – June 23, 2015 11:39AM Reply Quote

El Jeffe – June 23, 2015 11:49AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
cool. is it Apple Watch Or Retro Geek?

El Jeffe – September 10, 2015 06:25AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
what WORD did they use during the Hermes part?
Wristband > googlature? Sorry, unfamiliar.

tomierna (Admin) – September 10, 2015 09:56AM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural

John Willoughby – September 21, 2015 12:58PM Reply Quote
watchOS 2 is out. I don't think that this impacts anybody here, besides myself, but fwiw...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login