Spork Boards

Dam Hetch Hetchy!

bahamut's Avatar Picture bahamut – July 24, 2014 06:15PM Reply Quote
"Dam Hetch Hetchy! As well dam for water-tanks the people's cathedrals and churches, for no holier temple has ever been consecrated by the heart of man."
-- John Muir

Oh whoops, it's the valley South of it we're talking about… 

On Yosemite …

bahamut – August 06, 2014 05:18PM Reply Quote
I'm glad to be rid of Lucida Grande. The Finder icon is completely laughable, but it makes my son happy. He thinks its cutce. So I guess that's something.

Using it daily and it's at least as stable as Mavericks. Spotlight is much better. Only hassle is that I can't print to my Canon printer. How do the drivers manage to break every fucking time?

ddt – August 06, 2014 05:28PM Reply Quote
I heard the latest DP returns the "see the whole URL" to Safari. Hope that's a good sign.

ddt

Jeff Cooper – August 07, 2014 10:25AM Reply Quote
Continuity certainly sounds great (I'm a POCWACTSO, not a developer, and do t have the iOS beta, so I can't test it).

I will say that, although I was happy to see the skeumorphic crap go, I've been displeased with almost all the other aesthetic decisions Apple has made with its software since Ive took over software design.

ddt – August 07, 2014 12:07PM Reply Quote
Jeff, do you say that coming from your aesthetic sensibilities, or as a person with vision issues?

ddt

Jeff Cooper – August 08, 2014 11:21PM Reply Quote
Both, ddt. The current obsession with thin, pale fonts isn't as evident in Yosemite as it is in iOS 7 (and it's an aesthetic that's taking over the web as well), but it's still there (and doesn't look like it's going away in iOS 8). And that's an issue for me largely because of my eyes, especially my diminished contrast perception. iOS 7 is significantly harder for me to use than iOS 6 was. But there are also some things that I simply don't like--the look of the new Safari in Yosemite, for example.

ARL (Moderator) – November 15, 2014 06:39PM Reply Quote
So, my early adopters - a question:

Is it safe to upgrade or are there still Yosemite teething problems?

iTunes 12 isn't confidence inspiring...

Mokers (Moderator) – November 15, 2014 06:58PM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
I've liked Yosemite. I have turned on the high contrast things. Can't say I have actually noticed that much else. One thing that is annoying is that the spotlight window now shows up in the middle of the screen and can't be moved. That is a pain in the ass.

ddt – November 15, 2014 07:45PM Reply Quote
Not only that, you can't resize the window. If you have long filenames, such as "thisfileisreallyimportant_version1" or "thisfileisreallyimportant_version2" and so on, you'll only see "thisfileisreallyimpor...".

In general, I've gotten used to it. Some visual elements aren't great for me, but meh.

ddt

El Jeffe – November 15, 2014 11:10PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I am pleasantly surprised with it at the moment. Just trying to still set up everything.

Alan Lehman – November 18, 2014 04:01PM Reply Quote
I use Y at home and M at work. I've adapted to Y no problems. It looked foreign for a day or two but I got over it quickly. The next test will be migrating my 10YO daughter and her new mini to Y to see how she feels about it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login