Spork Boards

Rugby World Cup

Mokers's Avatar Picture Mokers – December 13, 2007 03:42PM Reply Quote
Our sports thread.

ddt – September 16, 2015 09:37AM Reply Quote
Any of you sports fans out there know anything about numberFire or the company that bought them, FanDuel?

ddt

Mokers (Moderator) – September 16, 2015 11:01AM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
I think football players are really good athletes. I don't watch the NFL much anymore and there isn't constant running like there is in some other sports, but to say they aren't physically fit or in shape would be wrong. I am a huge futbol fan(watch probably 10-20x as many minutes as a I do NFL a year), but there are plenty of soccer games that are hard to watch, with teams only getting 3 or 4 shots on goal the entire time and very long stretches of time where one team is not trying to score.

ARL (Moderator) – September 16, 2015 07:22PM Reply Quote
Mokers,

What I meant is NFL players train for strength rather than stamina/endurance.

Definitely not saying they're unfit slobs - just sprinters rather than long distance.

Jeff Cooper – October 01, 2015 09:17PM Reply Quote
I spent my Saturday afternoon at the Great American Ballpark in Cincinnati watching this happen:

As a fan of the New York Mets since the age of six, and now living in Indianapolis (far from he Mets' home), I still have trouble believing how lucky I was to see the Mets clinch the NL East at the nearest NL ballpark to my home.

johnny k – October 02, 2015 12:34AM Reply Quote
Nice! I've skimmed by both their stadiums but never been inside. I'm hoping the Twins eke in this weekend.

ARL (Moderator) – October 02, 2015 01:22AM Reply Quote
Um, the dude in red #22 looks like he hasn't missed many roast dinners (not that I can judge with my suspected gout).

Is there less emphasis on fitness in baseball?

[edit] Not that this didn't use to be downright celebrated downunder not that long ago...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2015 02:09AM by ARL.

johnny k – October 02, 2015 10:09AM Reply Quote
I believe that's a coach, Tony. But yeah, baseball isn't the most athletic of sports. http://www.menshealth.com/best-life/fat-baseball

ddt – October 02, 2015 02:20PM Reply Quote
Even Eddy Merckx got fat after he stopped racing professionally... .

ddt

ARL (Moderator) – October 03, 2015 06:39PM Reply Quote

Jeff Cooper – November 06, 2015 10:16PM Reply Quote
I've never understood New Zealand's pre-game haka ritual. I mean, I understand why the All-Blacks do it, but I don't understand why other teams just stand there stony-faced (with occasional exceptions). But this haka by the Air New Zealand ground crew as the All-Blacks' plane landed after the World Cup was pretty great.

Sorry, Tony.

ETA: One of the funniest sports hakas, at the New Zealand-USA 2015 FIBA World Cup game: serious "WTF" looks on the faces of the USA players, followed by polite, "isn't-that-cute?" applause. The haka is a lot more intimidating when performed by rugby players than by scrawny Kiwi hoopsters.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2015 10:25PM by Jeff Cooper.

Mokers (Moderator) – November 06, 2015 10:32PM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
I love that the new zealand basketball team is called the tall blacks.

ddt – November 07, 2015 12:47AM Reply Quote
Must make for a lot of confusion at Starbucks.

ddt

ARL (Moderator) – November 07, 2015 10:16PM Reply Quote
Jeff Cooper
I've never understood New Zealand's pre-game haka ritual. I mean, I understand why the All-Blacks do it, but I don't understand why other teams just stand there stony-faced (with occasional exceptions). But this haka by the Air New Zealand ground crew as the All-Blacks' plane landed after the World Cup was pretty great.

Sorry, Tony.

ETA: One of the funniest sports hakas, at the New Zealand-USA 2015 FIBA World Cup game: serious "WTF" looks on the faces of the USA players, followed by polite, "isn't-that-cute?" applause. The haka is a lot more intimidating when performed by rugby players than by scrawny Kiwi hoopsters.

I'm not Kiwi, but I do appreciate the Haka.

That said, there was a time the haka was not so intimidating...

(And there have been occasions opposing teams ignore or disrespect the Haka. It usually ends badly for the opposing side)

ARL (Moderator) – July 29, 2018 09:25PM Reply Quote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login