Spork Boards

Rugby World Cup

Mokers's Avatar Picture Mokers – December 13, 2007 03:42PM Reply Quote
Our sports thread.

ghidorah – December 13, 2007 03:50PM Reply Quote
Raise taxes on cavemen. --jw
Its basketball season, but it looks like my teams will be only marginally better then the Fins were this year.

sigh

Mokers – December 13, 2007 03:50PM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
So, the Mitchell report is out.

I have a built-in aversion to anything that comes out of Bud Selig's mouth, so when I heard he had appointed somebody with ties to baseball ownership (never mind that it is the Red Sox), I knew this would be an awful report. Mitchell had no subpoena authority, and since a lot of these people were using substances that were not even illegal at the time, it is likely many people won't even be punished for their actions. The main witnesses, all athletic trainers, were compelled to testify due to plea agreements stemming from their own illegal activities.

It looks like Selig was trying to make himself look serious, hired somebody he knew wouldn't piss off the owners or congress, gave the guy investigating no power (no Mitchell's fault), and in the end, won't do much to change anything in the sport.

Mokers – December 13, 2007 03:51PM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
Well, at least the Sonics appear to be on the way up, can't say the same about the Phins.

ghidorah Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Its basketball season, but it looks like my teams
> will be only marginally better then the Fins were
> this year.
>
> sigh

ghidorah – December 13, 2007 03:56PM Reply Quote
Sonics are going to have a tough time this year. They played a near perfect game last night, but that can't continue. They looked just rotten two nights ago in Chicago.

The Huskies are going to finish in the bottom tier of the Pac 10 and probably wont make the NIT this year. They just don't have the ability to pressure the opposing guards thats vital if they're going to be able to play the small-ball that fits our personnel. Fans are very fickle in Seattle, I think Romar might feel some real heat this season.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2007 03:56PM by ghidorah.

SoupIsGood Food – December 13, 2007 06:12PM Reply Quote
The Patriots are so good, they loaned one of their defensive linemen to play center for the Celtics when Posey went out with an injury... and the Celtics won.

Wait, you mean Glen Davis isn't a nose tackle for a NFL team?

SoupLikesWeird Atheletes

SoupIsGood Food – January 04, 2008 02:48AM Reply Quote
Just as an aside, Game 16 between the G'ints and the Pats was about as epic a football game as you'll see during the regular season. Tom Coughlin is going to be none-and-done in the playoffs, due to injury, and then be out on his keister, but he went down swinging.

The game will forever remember that he chose to fight and try for the win, and his players finally bought in to his system, and together, at long last, they realized their potential.

Eli played like Peyton. There seemed to be 20 or 30 G-men on the field for the defense of the Meadowlands, all of them blitzing Tom Brady at once. The crowd cared like it was the Sox vs. the Yanks, and for the first time since Parcells stalked the sidelines, homefield advantage meant something. Everything was perfect, everything was right. The Giants played a statement game to end all statement games.

Any other elite team in the NFL - the Colts, the Cowboys, the Packers, the Chargers, the Steelers - they would have not stood a snowball's chance in hell. The Giants were that complete, that dominant, that awesome, not a team in the history of the game could withstand them.

Save one.

SoupShouldBeASports Writer

Mokers (Moderator) – January 04, 2008 09:08AM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
I don't think the injuries will hurt the Giants. The only injury that really hampered them was Madison towards the end. I say the Giants take Tampa and I say there is a good chance they make it to the NFC championship. As a Giants fan, I was happy they didn't lay down for the Pats, and I was also happy that the Pats could say that they won game 16 against a team that gave them everything. Getting to 16-0 against scrubs wouldn't have tarnished the records they set, but it must feel a lot better for the team. I think the Giants ride into the playoffs with a lot of confidence. Tampa racked up great defensive stats against the worst conference in the NFC and their offense doesn't scare anybody.

SoupIsGood Food – January 22, 2008 01:14PM Reply Quote
So, yeah, Mokers and I will be mortal enemies on this thread for the next two weeks.

How good is Belichick? He got Eli Manning through the playoffs by playing him just once. :p

As an aside, this is a breakthrough year for both Coughlin and Eli, and both will be with the Giants for at least another 5 years after this run. Tom Coughlin abandoned his "Get Tough Or Get Out" lunacy for a more even-handed approach, drawing upon sources as far and unlikely as the local media and the senior players who've been trash-talking him since he got there.

I really think it was the game against the Pats in week 17 that woke the sleeping Giants, though... Coughlin believed he could take down the Patriots with his team, and they responded to that by completely buying into his system for the first time. Eli especially. Their near-success made them hungry, and their victory over Tampa Bay made them hungrier. The Cowboys and Green Bay are no joke... elite caliber teams, and the Giants battled their way through, and Eli is now, finally, playing up to his potential.

Historians will note that while it took Peyton 6 years to reach the Superbowl, it took Eli only 3. All he needed was a coach to believe in...

But, now, on the other side of the ball, we have a Coach Tom Brady can believe in. Tom Terrific threw the worst game of his career against San Diego, and his creaky, over-the-hill linebackers and safeties stepped up huge, looking more like the Pats of 2004 than the toss-heavy, offense-only monsters we've noticed this year... bend-not-break defense, with bit-players playing their bit above and beyond. This is the defense we've been seeing all year... and it isn't impressive, compared to Brady and Moss and Welker. But it's massively impressive against anyone who wants the toad in the hole when the weather turns sour, when they need to play against injury as best they can. To top it all off, they hav a pair of healthy, dominant. do-it-all running backs to carry the day behind an unsung but massive o-line.

Esterbrook, the inveterate Pats hater he is, has it right. Typically, O-linemen, even superstars, are assigned their blocks, and then stand around looking stupid while the rest of the play happens. The Patriots O-Line never stops until the whistle blows, doubling back and looping around, never giving their foes a moment's rest or reprieve, assigning their own damn blocks if need be. The result? Huge lanes for Maroney and Faulk, and a Tom Brady allowed to have a gimpy off game and still squeak out a "W"... in January.

The Giants have two weeks to hope Brady's leg doesn't get better, but even if it does, I think their re-match with the Patriots will be one hell of a game.

~ Soop

Mokers (Moderator) – January 22, 2008 02:39PM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
I basically agree with most everything you said Soup. One of my really good friends from Boston moved to Los Angeles last year. Although I went to school with him, the Red Sox and the Patriots were never really good enough for that much trash talk to go down. Pats fans were still talking about beating Bill Parcells and the Jets. Meanwhile, I got to gloat about Yankee championships (and oh boy did I rub it into the faces of a lot of Massholes).

Now, he is in Los Angeles. I don't hate the Patriots like I hate the Red Sox. The Sox are in the same division as the Yankees, so that's a real battle. The Pats and the Giants rarely play, and the Giants haven't sniffed the Super Bowl in a long time. I love Randy Moss and if the Giants weren't in the Super Bowl, I might root for the Patriots to win. Then again, I love the underdog, so maybe that good will is bullshit.

Anyway, my buddy and I enjoyed this playoff push by both of our teams. Now, as our teams get ready to play, there is this sort of unspoken tension that is building. I have decided that I am going to do a friendly wager with him, and I'll do the same for you Soup. If the Giants win, you have to wear a Jeter T-shirt to work or something. If the Patriots win, I'll wear a Papi shirt or Brady T-shirt as I am hitting on some starlets. Let me know....

Eli is playing up to his potential, and it says a lot about Tom Coughlin and the general makeup of this team. Kudos to Michael Strahan, who was the big story at the beginning of the year, but has refused to become a distraction as the Giants make their improbable run.

I think it will be a good game. Even if Tom Brady is not hurt, he is one of the top 5 competitors in sports right now. If he has to leave his leg behind on the field, he will do it to cement his team's place in history. I don't think Tom Brady throws three interceptions in the SuperBowl, and the Pats defense does look inspired again.

SoupIsGood Food – January 29, 2008 09:30PM Reply Quote
If dem Gints win, I'll buy one of those flat-brimmed "59/50" pinstripe Yankees hats and wear it to a sports bar on opening day, complete with shiny gold sticker. If the Patsies win, you have to get a cheap mesh-back Boston cap, and wear it like a trucker, extra-curved brim and all, and do likewise. Loser takes pics to prove it.

~ Soop

tomierna (Admin) – January 29, 2008 10:14PM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
One of our AV partner-suppliers is selling a 20' x 20' SuperBowl 25 banner he bought before the old Tampa Stadium was torn down:

If anyone knows a good place to pimp him, have at it!

Mokers (Moderator) – January 30, 2008 11:30AM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
SoupIsGood Food
If dem Gints win, I'll buy one of those flat-brimmed "59/50" pinstripe Yankees hats and wear it to a sports bar on opening day, complete with shiny gold sticker. If the Patsies win, you have to get a cheap mesh-back Boston cap, and wear it like a trucker, extra-curved brim and all, and do likewise. Loser takes pics to prove it.

~ Soop

I'm fine with this.

Mokers (Moderator) – February 03, 2008 10:59PM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
What a great game. I am so happy right now.

ghidorah – February 03, 2008 11:02PM Reply Quote
Only saw the last 45 seconds. I'll review the tevo for commercial highlights. Glad the 72 dolphins remain the only true undefeated team in the history of the professional game.

Dr. Strangelove – February 04, 2008 09:52AM Reply Quote
It was really an entertaining game. Congrats to the Giants; they played great.

I enjoyed the halftime show as well. Howard Hughes looks damn good for someone his age.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2008 09:54AM by Dr. Strangelove.

Mokers (Moderator) – February 04, 2008 01:39PM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
Dr. Strangelove
It was really an entertaining game. Congrats to the Giants; they played great.

I enjoyed the halftime show as well. Howard Hughes looks damn good for someone his age.

It was a low scoring game, but it didn't feel that way. It was close and you knew just a few breaks here or there would make the difference. Our defense held out just a little longer, and we caught a few breaks (the catch, the fumbles that weren't recovered by the Patriots). Even if I didn't care who won the game, it was very exciting.

Dr. Strangelove – February 04, 2008 02:33PM Reply Quote
I agree, it didn't seem like a low-scoring game. And every time I thought that NE might score and start to pull away, the Giants' defense made a big play, like the sack/fumble at the end of the half.

It's funny, at one point in the second half Aikman said something about the Giants' defense getting tired, and I thought "What about NE's defense getting tired, they've been out there a long time?" That's what I think made the difference in the end---the NE defense ran out of gas sooner than the Giants.

Dave Loudin – February 04, 2008 04:13PM Reply Quote
Dr. Strangelove
...the NE defense ran out of gas sooner than the Giants.

More like the Giants defense ran out of gas with just enough time on the clock.

SoupIsGood Food – February 05, 2008 11:48AM Reply Quote
Ugh. We deserved to lose. The last 30 seconds of the game saw the dumbest four downs of football I've seen played. You have 30 seconds and three timeouts. You have the short pass game working really well after =finally= giving up on trick plays and long-bombs.

Adam Vinatieri time! Err, Stevie-G time! The kid never missed a kick in college. He has the icewater in his veins and the hunger in his eyes. Get him to within forty, and we go to overtime. Thirty seconds, three time outs, Welker and Moss and Watson and Faulk. Go do it.

Long bomb. Long bomb. Long bomb. Long bomb. Giants win.

Dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb.

Good quarterbacks make ESPN highlights with miracle passes. Great quarterbacks make the Hall of Fame 10 yards at a time. Brady is a great quarterback because he is Brady, not because he is Jim Kelly or Brett Favre. I think Matt Light should sit on Josh McDaniels' head for the whole flight home.

I was really impressed with the Pats defense, tho... bend, don't break, play smart, never lose focus. The problem was time of possession... these are 35, 37, 40 year old guys out there. There's only so much gas in the tank. If the offense kept their end of the bargain, even a little, it would have been more than enough.

But, the G-Men D played completely out of their mind. Career game for a lot of guys, and when Strahan's name comes up in HoF voting somewhere down the line, they're going to talk about this game.

This alone wasn't enough to win. The Patriots needed to forget they are The Patriots. Set up the drive, and then gash them with the unexpected only after the poor saps are committed to trying to slow down an inexorable dink-and-dunk-and-screen-and-three-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust march. Convert on every third down, and buy the D as much time as you can.

They tried to be the K-Gun Bills, and it got them about as far.

Better luck next year.

SoupHasToBuyA Hat

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2008 11:50AM by SoupIsGood Food.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login