Spork Boards

Travel Channel: Where are you going today?

Robert Taylor – February 25, 2008 08:02PM Reply Quote
Thread for discussing travel...

ddt – September 08, 2016 10:40AM Reply Quote
I'm in Portland for XOXO. Wow, it's really pretty here.

ddt

Roger – September 08, 2016 11:21AM Reply Quote
Isn't it nice? (I live here now. it'd be fun to meet up but I'm moving furniture all weekend...)

Mokers (Moderator) – September 08, 2016 11:48AM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
echoing what ddt said. The clipper card gets you on basically all mass transit in the bay area outside of Amtrak and Caltrain. In SF, you have BART and MUNI. BART is basically the subway. Takes you between some main points over longer distances. MUNI covers all the light rail and buses in San Francisco. They are pretty extensive. Depending on your budget, you can likely also get away with a lot of Uber. There are plenty of Uber and lyft in the area.

For lodging, are you looking to stay near the conference (I'm assuming you are on a business trip)? If you can let us know the location of the conference, we can give you a few areas.

Clothing. Most people think that California means warm sunny weather. That does not apply to San Francisco for many parts of the year. That being said, we often have the warm "indian" summers in SF so prepare for afternoons that would be warm. Like DDT said, layers. Temps can very based not only on time of day, but geographic location within the city.

Things to do. There is a lot in the city for you. Not sure how much you love modern art, but SFMOMA has just been renovated and is really nice. The DeYoung fine arts museuym is great. If you don't get down to apple, there are still some really nice Apple stores in the city. I like the exploratorium (embarcadero area). If you want to get a nice feeling for the bay, take the Ferry to angel island. There is hiking there, but if you can't do that, they have tram tours. Angel island was like the Ellis island of the West coast and there are some cool historical buildings there. Again, not sure how much you can walk, but find a bus tour to Muir woods. The redwoods are one of the best parts of california. IF you do make it to silicon valley, the computer history museum in Mountain View and Tech Museum in San Jose are nice. The tech musuem is farther away, but is in Downtown San Jose so a little easier to get to via cal train and then light rail in San Jose.

Let us know if you have a free night and maybe we can join you in the city for a meal at some point.

ddt – September 08, 2016 12:12PM Reply Quote
Also echoing the above -- though I'd promote Flywheel (http://flywheelnow.com) over Uber definitely, and over Lyft. Long story, but you'll pay the same, get the same service, do the city good.

Adding the Cal Academy of Sciences in Golden Gate Park. Not that I've been yet, but I hear great things! Will you be with kids or solo? And see if you can get a ride or tour that takes you to the Great Highway to see the Pacific, or out into the Bay. Avoid Pier 39.

ddt

johnny k – September 08, 2016 01:33PM Reply Quote
Finally returning to New England - NH/Boston this weekend with both kids. Daughter turns two on the trip so had to get her own ticket for return flight. She's traveled well in the past but her energy level is at a new high. Maybe a thimble of whisky beforehand?

John Willoughby – September 08, 2016 03:08PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
We stocked up on coloring books and crayons, for that age. If you can get a favorite movie or TV show on a tablet, even better. Make sure that she can tolerate earbuds before going to the hassle, though. Ambient noise on airplanes is loud enough that earbuds without noise cancellation might not be good enough for a young child.

johnny k – September 08, 2016 04:50PM Reply Quote
Haven't seen her pay attention to TV for very long yet, but got one of those $33 Kindle Fires on special so we'll give it a shot, maybe with my over-the-ear headphones. Crayons are a great idea. Only thing she really gets lost in is scribbling or Legos, and Legos won't be fun on a plane. When I took her to NYC, lots of snacks in tupperware helped.

John Willoughby – September 08, 2016 05:22PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
Just be advised, a bored kid can go through several thousand coloring book pages per minute. (Flips page) (Scribbles) (Flips page) (Scribbles) "Daddy, I DONE!" They sell some packs of coloring books with markers or crayons included. They're great if you can keep them from being opened until you're in your seats on the plane. No way to lose anything. Once they're opened, of course, all bets are off.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2016 05:25PM by John Willoughby.

El Jeffe – September 10, 2016 02:23PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Making car rental reservations.
We recently got a Costco near us.
Rentals, for instance, I've seen like $12 per day in Miami last month.
But total price of first place I checked was $204 for basically get FRI, return SAT.
anywayssssss...
Costco was $73. Cheapest of all places I checked.
And, instead of a base, small, cheap car, I got that price on a full-sized SUV. (4 years, 8 days since semi truck hit me in my little Prius. Wife forbids me to be in small cars) Says I've cheated death too many times... not to push my luck. :)

El Jeffe – September 10, 2016 03:03PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
This looks like a nice guide:
http://www.visitcalifornia.com/trip/san-francisco-bay-loop
Bay Loop around. (don't care about going to a theme park, though.)

El Jeffe – September 15, 2016 04:26AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Plans solidifying. I'll be coming in Sat morning. Driving down and seeing what I can of San Jose (not sure what to call the area), Cupertino, etc.
Staying overnight there. Driving up to SFO --> hotel near Moscone.
Sun/Mon/Tues/Wed > Conference
Thursday a bit more nebulous.
Some way I will get from SFO to PSP.
1. Fly
2. Drive I-5 via Central Valley
3. Drive along Pacific Coast. (I really must be UP for this drive)

Friday I am driving at/on the Thermal race track. YAY!
Driving to LAX
Fly back home.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2016 04:28AM by El Jeffe.

ddt – September 15, 2016 11:34AM Reply Quote
Well, let me know when you'll have time in SF!

Unless you're a big fan of empty agricultural space, or are in a hurry, there's no reason to go I-5. The coastal drive (101) is amazingly pretty, Hwy 1 is even prettier but much, much slower.

If you're flying in to SFO, why go to San Jose? He said, snobbishly.

ddt

El Jeffe – September 15, 2016 04:10PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I am a fan of not getting too tired driving, and wear myself out. :)
It's hard to judge if I am 'up' for a longer than necessary drive.
I better hurry up and finalize my plans.
I want to see silicon valley. And the hotels are cheaper, much cheaper down there than in SF. I'm not that much of a big city guy. Though, I liked London a lot the brief moment I was there.

ARL (Moderator) – September 15, 2016 07:18PM Reply Quote
Jeffe, do the coast drive. It's worth the extra time. If you're able, split the drive into two days and stay somewhere like San Simeon (go check out Hearst Castle!)

I believe the Interstate highway 5 (which I did not drive on) was once described by Baha as "like Mordor, but with cows instead of orcs."

ARL (Moderator) – September 15, 2016 07:25PM Reply Quote
I second ddt's comment about layers. SF weather is psychotic.

ddt – September 15, 2016 08:25PM Reply Quote
San Jose will be probably hot, as will Palo Alto, etc., as long as you don't go over the mountains towards the coast (which is infinitely prettier).

Yeah, the coast/101 drive has great little places to stop, take photos, have snacks, so you can really break it up, On 5, it's just BRRAAAAAAAAAAH (Inception sound) and getting through it for hours on end.

ddt

ddt – September 15, 2016 08:39PM Reply Quote
And we're not trying to tell you what to do, but we're totally trying to tell you what to do.

We share because we care.

ddt

El Jeffe – September 15, 2016 11:31PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
so, I have a handful of people telling me to avoid LA traffic like the plague. Now, I am leaning towards SFO fly to PSP; rent car; PSP fly to IND. No LA traffic. Return another day, with wife, to drive the coast when I can devote more time to it.

ddt – September 16, 2016 12:15AM Reply Quote
I had to look up PSP. That's a few hours drive (w/o bad traffic) from anywhere in LA. Which is 5-7hrs drive to SF (5-6 hrs to San Jose).

ddt

James DeBenedetti – September 16, 2016 01:20AM Reply Quote
Silicon Valley is pretty boring unless you like office parks and strip malls. San Francisco is a lot more fun. Also, take 101 unless you find countless hours surrounded by cows, tumbleweeds, and oil rigs more invigorating than ocean views and redwood forests.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login