Spork Boards

Travel Channel: Where are you going today?

Robert Taylor – February 25, 2008 08:02PM Reply Quote
Thread for discussing travel...

El Jeffe – August 06, 2011 12:51PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I see the Finnish line ... har har

tliet – August 06, 2011 04:52PM Reply Quote
lol

John Willoughby – August 06, 2011 05:32PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
Grats, ddt.

John Willoughby – August 06, 2011 06:31PM Reply Quote
Just got back from a week at Disney World. Temperatures in the mid-to-high nineties. Humidity VERY high, going as high as 95%. Drenched with sweat two minutes after going outside, and it never dried until we were back in our room. Kids had a good time, though we could only manage four or five hours in the parks per day. Good thing that we were there a week; we still managed to hit a lot of stuff. Man, I grew up in South Florida, and this kind of weather is why I left.

El Jeffe – August 06, 2011 06:43PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I think air conditioning in the hotel, car, some parts of the parks only exacerbates the steamroom/sauna of central Florida. It is a bit daunting at times.

John Willoughby – August 06, 2011 07:00PM Reply Quote
Without AC, the population of Florida would be 10% of what it is. Bear that in mind as energy prices go higher. I mean, I live in Nevada ffs, and Florida was FAR worse. Actually, to be fair, being out in the sun in Nevada is worse than just the sun in Florida. But stepping into the shade makes 80% of the discomfort go away instantly. In Florida, the humidity follows you everywhere that isn't air conditioned, so the shade is no relief. If there'd been a breeze it would have helped.

ARL (Moderator) – August 06, 2011 07:49PM Reply Quote
Reno is relatively cool over winter, isn't it?

John Willoughby – August 06, 2011 08:06PM Reply Quote
Yes, due to the altitude. We get three or four big snowstorms in a year, usually.

John Willoughby – August 06, 2011 08:37PM Reply Quote
Thinking about it, it's more like two or three snowstorms of 4" to 6" a year. Sometimes a big one will come through and we'll get a few feet of snow, sometimes almost no snowfall in a winter. TMI, I'm sure.

johnny k – August 06, 2011 09:51PM Reply Quote
This week I got back from a trip visiting Chicago and then Phoenix. We got to go to the Brookfield Zoo, home of the Naked Mole Rat. Unfortunately their exhibit was underwhelming. Hard to make them out behind cutouts into "rock" and then thick clear plastic. Was hoping it'd be more like an ant farm. Poor guys were constantly trying to gnaw or claw at the plastic... a little dirt would do them good.

Overall the zoo was great, though. The bat exhibit was open, so the bats were actually hanging right above you. Same thing with a couple of others, since so many exhibits are indoors anyway. And I could see it all with a 24-oz beer. Also visited the Lincoln Park Zoo again, first time I saw their excellent ape exhibit - though they were all passed out from the heat.

ARL (Moderator) – August 06, 2011 11:46PM Reply Quote

And I could see it all with a 24-oz beer.

We need a facebook "like" feature for spork...

bahamut – August 07, 2011 12:41AM Reply Quote
Got back home. Had a great time. Going again in three weeks. But love it here in new place. Lots and lots of work ahead near term though.

Benadryl? A fellow parent's 5 year old daughter asked her… mommy are you giving me allergy medicine to make me feel better or to make me sleep?

Damn kids!

Jeff Cooper – August 07, 2011 08:32AM Reply Quote
I used Dramamine, actually. Justifiable in that both kids are prone to motion sickness, and it has the same effect. They were grumpy and tired in the airport but slept the whole way on the plane.

ddt – August 07, 2011 12:12PM Reply Quote
Were they grumpy and tired when they woke up?

Perpetually grumpy and tired,

ddt

Jeff Cooper – August 11, 2011 08:54AM Reply Quote
Back home after a successful (if very expensive) trip. The kids want to know when we're going back to New York. After I win Powerball, I think.

ddt – August 11, 2011 01:15PM Reply Quote
In Vienna for a few days... interesting change!

ddt

tliet – August 11, 2011 03:19PM Reply Quote
Daniel, any chance of you visiting the low countries?

ddt – August 12, 2011 03:43AM Reply Quote
Hi Ton,

Sadly, I did not get my act together enough -- but I'd love to soon!

ddt

tliet – August 12, 2011 02:23PM Reply Quote
You're always welcome, maybe we have summer in our autumn months this year. Or winter, as we have autumn in the summer right now...

El Jeffe – August 28, 2011 12:28PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Heard this on Rick Steve's today. One pays for airfare to Madrid, and this company takes care of room and board if you make yourself available to speak English with Spaniards. You can listen to the lady's experience at this link:

Rick Steve's program 257 (?)
iTunes link: http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/potsdam-athens-open-phones/id79063354?i=96740959

Web link:
http://www.ricksteves.com/radio/protected/descriptions.cfm?showID=354

vaughantown.com -->
http://volunteers.grupovaughan.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1&Itemid=2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login