Spork Boards

Travel Channel: Where are you going today?

Robert Taylor – February 25, 2008 08:02PM Reply Quote
Thread for discussing travel...

El Jeffe – July 14, 2011 07:35AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I like humor (as witnessed by the thrashing in PP).
But not sure I like TSA humor at all times.
Granted, this did make me ... uh... grin perhaps. Make sure you read from top to bottom, don't skip ahead.
I just wanted to know if I can take my shaving razor...

http://blog.tsa.gov/2010/08/safety-razors-and-disposable-razors.html

Jeff Cooper – July 14, 2011 02:38PM Reply Quote
Okay--that's good to know!

Mokers (Moderator) – July 15, 2011 03:48PM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
Got back from a week on Keuka lake with the family. Lots of time in the water, plenty of wineries, even more "when are you getting married?" type questions. Best news is that I don't think I'll have to beet up my sister's new boyfriend.

John Willoughby – July 15, 2011 05:01PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
Mokers
I don't think I'll have to beet up my sister's new boyfriend.

I'll bet that would have made him see red.

Mokers (Moderator) – July 15, 2011 05:39PM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
John Willoughby
Mokers
I don't think I'll have to beet up my sister's new boyfriend.

I'll bet that would have made him see red.

(very) well played.

johnny k – July 17, 2011 01:33PM Reply Quote
LOL

I'm at the trailing end of a weekend in NH. Tethered to a hotspot and inside waiting for the others to finish playing in the water. It was perfect weather yesterday on the lake. The dog even tolerated the boat when he's usually against any transportation.

John Willoughby – July 18, 2011 12:20AM Reply Quote
I'm taking the family to Disney World (Florida) soon. It wouldn't have been possible, financially, but their grandfather is paying for our rooms. I've been many times, in the 70's, and we've visited Disney Land (California) when our oldest daughter was three, but this will be a first. Both in expense and in (anticipated) kid appeal. It was important to me to go before my oldest was too "cool" to enjoy a theme park. I want to have one family vacation that isn't centered around a marriage, funeral or other social obligation.

Of course, Florida in summer is its own punishment, and I'm worried about a Federal shutdown impacting things. Plus, of course, my new department at work may not really want me leaving for a week just as I join them. Oh, well, let the chips fall where they may, I am going to enjoy ONE decent vacation with my kids before I die.

ddt – July 18, 2011 02:13AM Reply Quote
jk, that dog comment brings up the obligatory link: http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/11/dogs-dont-understand-basic-concepts.html

ddt

johnny k – July 18, 2011 09:52AM Reply Quote
God, that was great, ddt.
When we moved to MA, a 5-day trip, he just huddled behind the driver's seat and shook until he passed out from exhaustion, I think. Unless the window was down, then he did the dog thing and was removed from himself.

JW, ideally you've been milking it for a while so they're well-behaved. That should buy you enough happy memories to keep the kids compliant for a long time. Or they'll be demanding all of Lord Disney's merchandise.

John Willoughby – July 18, 2011 02:15PM Reply Quote
My kids are already planning to treat the costumed Disney characters like zombies, i.e. point, scream, flee. They think that will be funny. The oldest grew out of her "princess" years long ago, and the younger one never entered them. Cynical tykes, but I'm fond of them.

ARL (Moderator) – July 18, 2011 07:06PM Reply Quote
ddt,

That dog story made my day...

El Jeffe – July 24, 2011 01:42AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Add me to the list of Ron Burns-cheauffered travel customers now. Lovely whirlwind tour of London and outlying parts.
(note I am up at 2 am ... I need to adjust)

tliet – July 24, 2011 08:51AM Reply Quote
Hey Bill, good to hear you've arrived safely. How's the weather over there? We have autumn and it's less than 250 km away.

Ron Burns – July 25, 2011 05:13AM Reply Quote
"We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation." Voltaire
Glad you survived Bill - both me and the journey home..

ddt – July 25, 2011 05:15AM Reply Quote
Glad to hear that you're out and about ("oot and aboot" for our Canadian and Minnesotan readers), Bill! I'm taking that as indication you're feeling better. How is seeing the world informing your sense of being an Indianan?

ddt

El Jeffe – July 27, 2011 04:56AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Not 100% sure I understand the question. If you have more specific ones, do ask.
I can't fathom how folks over there can afford 8 to 10 dollar a gallon petrol (or diesel); those home prices and such. But I found the food and groceries to be not that differently priced.
Did not see many cops except for parking enforcement. Here I can sometimes see six patrol cars in my first 1-2 miles before I get on the highway, and we are in a near-rural fringe of the city.
The public-facing jobs show a great level of service - at least those I interacted with. The shops close up almost all in exact synchrony, and way too early (5)!
Very little ice for ice water, except at McDs we grabbed one from once.
The weather was lovely.
Oxford was much bigger than I thought it would be. London is very easy to get around via tube. Never sure if/when to tip and what amount.
The motorcycle/scooters were plentiful -no big Harleys! :)
Eggs were on shelves, not cooler.
Krispy Kremes - did not expect those.
Every place had the triangle-boxed sandwiches in a huge variety and people seem to buy them up for lunches.
Lots of pastries, and candies. Not so much salty snack offerings as here.

gotta run..

tliet – July 27, 2011 11:44PM Reply Quote
Distances are way shorter. Also, cars have far smaller (diesel) engines which will go a long way in bringing running cost down.

The biggest question is; did you like your trip?

El Jeffe – July 28, 2011 04:24AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I can't imagine a better time.

ARL (Moderator) – July 28, 2011 06:34PM Reply Quote
You going to Ireland too, Bill?

tomierna (Admin) – July 28, 2011 09:28PM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
I'll be in Sydney from 10/4 to 10/11.

The family is joining me from 10/6 to 10/11.

We'll have most evenings free, but will have the 9th and 10th to really do interesting touristy stuff. Any can't-miss things we should book now?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login