Spork Boards

Developers, Developers, Developers!

Cloudscout's Avatar Picture Cloudscout – February 25, 2008 05:31PM Reply Quote
Don't mind the pit-stains, greasy hair and Dorito breath. They've been busy coding. Or, at least, thinking about coding.

porruka (Admin) – June 08, 2017 01:37PM Reply Quote
The cat has your pipe.
John Willoughby
How many of those VM's will be updated to be 64-bit? I haven't checked yet, but Basilisk II and SheepShaver are old enough to probably be 32-bit, and neither gets a lot of updates (or any?). Mini vMac has source code out there, but I don't know if it is under active development either.

Direct emulation isn't where I was going with it... keep running Sierra (or earlier) in a VM (VMware/Parallels), keep running 32-bit apps, right?

John Willoughby – June 08, 2017 01:41PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
Yeah, that should work. My real concern for this whole thing is the ability to run ancient software, which won't run under Sierra anyway. Your comment about VM's took me out of the actual issue that we were talking about and instead provoked a word spew stemming from my concern and I wasn't even aware that I had diverted the topic without notice.

bahamut – June 08, 2017 01:48PM Reply Quote
Why? Is the cost of supporting 32 bit apps so high? Does it cost anything at all? Is this an arbitrary move or … ????

Yikes, I have some weird stuff that will never be updated again. This is as big a move as the end of Classic or the end of non-PowerPC apps. I guess it happens from time to time and shit gets fucked.

ARL (Moderator) – June 08, 2017 06:46PM Reply Quote
How easy is it for developers to upgrade from 32 to 64 bit? If it's "click a button", fine.

If it's a complete rewrite Apple better have a damn good reason.

johnny k – June 08, 2017 07:49PM Reply Quote
For most stuff, it's recompile. The trick with older apps is that to get that compile to succeed, you often have a bunch of other stuff to fix. Deprecated functions, changed behavior, etc. The onward march of the platform requires a baseline level of maintenance.

John Willoughby – June 09, 2017 06:36PM Reply Quote
Tim Cook puts out the "Tips" jar. I don't see this as a bad thing, so long as it doesn't pester the user.

ARL (Moderator) – June 09, 2017 07:25PM Reply Quote

so long as it doesn't pester the user.

Oh, my sweet summer child...

John Willoughby – June 09, 2017 08:53PM Reply Quote
If it's an Apple API, presumably it will be used as Apple intends or the apps won't be improved.

johnny k – July 03, 2017 07:09PM Reply Quote
First time I've been asked to send Apple hardware to test an app update, after four years. Was betting on getting this biggish update with bug fixes up in time for July 4th cookouts, but now it's apparently going to be a month between the holiday and my ability to mail them a unit and the time to get through the internal system at Apple.

John Willoughby – July 03, 2017 10:06PM Reply Quote
Sorry, Johnny, that sucks.

dharlow – July 04, 2017 02:32PM Reply Quote
I just saw one go out, did you get them to push it through?

johnny k – July 04, 2017 07:14PM Reply Quote
Yeah, begged an indulgence and got it. Such is the randomness of the human reviewers. Or maybe one wanted a cooking thermometer.

dharlow – July 06, 2017 03:23PM Reply Quote
I actually think it would be a good thing for Apple to require the hardware to be submitted with the app, I have run across quite a few crap hardware devices for iOS.

John Willoughby – July 06, 2017 03:26PM Reply Quote
It might be hard to qualify reviewers for a wide range of disparate hardware.

johnny k – July 06, 2017 05:59PM Reply Quote
Daniel, I actually agree and am surprised that they can claim to vet the app without being able to access its functionality. But like in most App Store-related matters, consistency is the core complaint. Ask for the hardware on v1.0, not some random bug fix release years later. Also, they keep everyone there behind a wall so you're talking to someone different every time, and that worries me when you're trying to explain something complex. People often get rejected for something that they explained before and got accepted on. Then, it'll be a whole nother bag of worms to review the quality/functionality of associated hardware as well. Are they then responsible for compatibility testing with each of your models and each iPhone model? Gets hairy.

ddt – August 05, 2017 08:27PM Reply Quote
There's some excellent unpacking on Twitter, of all places (or Erica Joy's piece here), of the techbro Google engineer who -- if you can read the dogwhistles -- is recycling libertarian and MRA assumptions as "research" and concluding through MANLY LOGIC NOT WOMANLY FEELS that diversity is a sham and the real diversity is not pushing back against ideologies such as his own: http://gizmodo.com/exclusive-heres-the-full-10-page-anti-diversity-screed-1797564320

Further anecdata that knowing computer logic != logical thinking. STEM is BS if we don't include critical thinking. But then again, if you've read Slashdot comments, you have at some level a sense of that.

ddt

ARL (Moderator) – August 06, 2017 12:52AM Reply Quote
The logical contortions trying to claim "marxism = gender & race politics" and oh goody, waving the "political correctness is dudebro oppression" flag.

For someone collecting (I assume) a pretty decent paycheck, I've never seen someone quite so oppressed.

ARL (Moderator) – August 08, 2017 02:34AM Reply Quote
And he's now sacked...

He will of course feel aggrieved he's been kicked in the free speech feels. But it's a private company with progressive values and that essay was bordering on unabomber/mein kampf territory.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2017 02:53AM by ARL.

El Jeffe – August 08, 2017 05:44AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
coming in late. where is the complete leaked memo? Link? Sans commentary.

ARL (Moderator) – August 08, 2017 10:19AM Reply Quote
ddt's link above has it

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login