Spork Boards

King's Landing...

ARL (Moderator) – April 16, 2013 03:09AM Reply Quote
Winter is coming ... and probably so are spoilers (which is why we use the spoiler tags like this one):

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2013 03:10AM by Tony Leggett.

Mokers (Moderator) – April 18, 2014 07:44PM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
I don't care about reaction videos, but I looked for them this time. There is more coming!!

El Jeffe – April 21, 2014 01:37PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Glad Joffrey is dead.
I liked the final scene.
Glad I have not read books.

ARL (Moderator) – April 21, 2014 07:40PM Reply Quote
Are you talking about episode 2 or three, Bill?

ddt – April 21, 2014 08:15PM Reply Quote
This is an actual quote from the book?

'There was no tenderness in the kiss he returned to her, only hunger. Her mouth opened for his tongue.

“No,” she said weakly when his lips moved down her neck, “not here. The septons …”'

If that's the quality of the prose... even less desire to read. As I said, I'm in it for the acting, which can be fun.

ddt

Mokers (Moderator) – April 22, 2014 04:33PM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
The book has a lot more context.

In either case, it is a turning point in their relationship, but in the book, you are mostly cringing because of the location.

ARL (Moderator) – April 23, 2014 09:16AM Reply Quote

El Jeffe – April 23, 2014 09:48AM Reply Quote
What a journey.

Funny. do they do that with every episode? I would think that would be a large effort.
But funny enough.

ddt – April 27, 2014 11:04PM Reply Quote
You never saw the late, great televisionwithoutpity.com?

ddt

Jeff Cooper – April 28, 2014 02:51PM Reply Quote
ddt
You never saw the late, great televisionwithoutpity.com?

ddt

Wow, I didn't realize the site had shut down. I was an obsessive visitor to TWP back in the "Lost" days, but I stopped visiting it so much after that show ended, and ultimately stopped visiting altogether (without realizing I had done so). Maybe I wasn't the only one.

ARL (Moderator) – April 28, 2014 08:10PM Reply Quote
Well, big BIG departures from the books in the last episode. I think book-readers are going to be in the dark almost as much as non-book readers from now on...

ddt – April 28, 2014 10:50PM Reply Quote
Okay, care to share? Spoiler tags okay, of course.

ddt

Mokers (Moderator) – April 29, 2014 03:28PM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
ddt
Okay, care to share? Spoiler tags okay, of course.

ddt

ddt – April 29, 2014 04:04PM Reply Quote
Ah, thanks. The LGM podcast discussed the baby-makin' thing, but didn't mention the other part (which I guess? isn't so important).

I can totally see the producers so digging Diana Rigg in that role (come on, who wouldn't?) that that wanted to pump up her screen time. Hell, I'd watch an hour of her just dishing.

ddt

Mokers (Moderator) – April 29, 2014 05:26PM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
It's because Book 4 is just terrible. GRRM decided to explore his new world and kept adding characters. You can get away with the pacing in books, but in a series where most characters need regular updates, it wouldn't fly.

ARL (Moderator) – April 29, 2014 07:20PM Reply Quote
Mokers
It's because Book 4 is just terrible. GRRM decided to explore his new world and kept adding characters. You can get away with the pacing in books, but in a series where most characters need regular updates, it wouldn't fly.

And book 5 was only marginally better. There are lots of interesting things that happen in both books but also a lot of pointless dead-ends that the series will hopefully completely omit...

Jeff Cooper – April 29, 2014 08:04PM Reply Quote
Mokers

Well, as someone who hasn't read the books, I'm all for omitting pointless dead ends.

ARL (Moderator) – April 29, 2014 08:20PM Reply Quote
The best analogy I can use for how unwieldy the Game of Thrones world has become by the end of book 5 is that it's comparable to Tolkien, halfway through Lord of the Rings, trying to weave in the entire Silmarillion as back-story while still keeping the main LOTR story going.

Okay, maybe not that bad -- but I can see why GRRM isn't exactly banging out the last two books in a hurry...

johnny k – April 30, 2014 07:17AM Reply Quote
Just watched the latest episode. Yeah, that made me sit up. Maybe because Martin is involved in the TV series, or maybe because they've done such a great job with the show, it seems that fans have never fussed over the differences. That last scene appears to be canon, though — I will be disappointed if

Mokers (Moderator) – April 30, 2014 12:18PM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
"I think the show is going to finish more quickly than the books, which means I won't be able to hold my book knowledge of everybody to show my obvious superiority!" - Synopsis of too many book readers viewpoint, I think,

I think the show is actually really well done. The books have been around so long that people have really dug in with their beliefs about certain characters. Since the POV writing style leaves so many details up to the imagination there are factions that have put literally every character on a pedestal (or the opposite). For example, people accuse the show of whitewashing Tyrion because of Peter Dinklage. I say great! he is a great actor and it is a completely different medium. There is a lot of detail about the various kingdoms that you miss, but for those of us invested, I think the books will give us the detail we need.

Tony is right. He weaves in so much back story that we completely lose track of certain characters. For all the changes the show is making, Johnny is right, it can be considered cannon so to me it helps complete the narrative.

ddt – April 30, 2014 01:01PM Reply Quote
Ser Pounce is my new favorite character, though I still feel strongly for Hodor, and could not watch that scene.

Someone on twitter said that GoT readers suddenly felt how all their fandom and knowledge was betrayed. I told her that Star Trek fans are all playing teeny, teeny violins for them.

ddt

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login