Spork Boards

King's Landing...

ARL (Moderator) – April 16, 2013 03:09AM Reply Quote
Winter is coming ... and probably so are spoilers (which is why we use the spoiler tags like this one):

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2013 03:10AM by Tony Leggett.

porruka (Admin) – June 11, 2013 01:00PM Reply Quote
Failure is pre-greatness.
ddt
Well, this is uniformed speculation, as I am uninformed (and don't find the actual plot beyond character interactions very compelling):

Isn't it conveeeeenient that the zombies the White Walker army is mostly made of are vulnerable to fire, and someone just happens to be marching towards Westeros with armored, aerial napalm distribution devices? (I'm assuming the zombies can't handle bows and arrows, let alone any other ranged weapons.)

ddt

Well, it's probably more than convenient... it IS "A Song of Ice and Fire" after all.

ddt – June 11, 2013 01:29PM Reply Quote
Ah, here's the image I was looking for, to go with that comment: http://t.co/6fwbkaxm7J

ddt

Mokers (Moderator) – June 11, 2013 02:23PM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
One of the big things about the book is that the winters have long been mild. People have forgotten what lies beyond the wall, why the wall was built and the importance of the night's watch. The NW used to be a noble profession to protect the realm, but now it recruits mainly criminals and bastards.

But Winter is coming. The Wights may be vulnerable to fire, but that is mainly a way to kill them after you have chopped their head/hands. The real weapon against them is dragonglass, but with only a few thousand in the night's watch and dragonglass consisting mainly of arrowheads and daggers, how do you stop the onslaught?

Yes, Dany has the dragons, but will she get to Westeros in time to make a difference? If King's Landing is knee deep in snow, wouldn't you hang out in the free cities until it warmed up a bit?

ARL (Moderator) – June 11, 2013 08:06PM Reply Quote
And teenage dragons are notoriously hard to discipline...

Oh, and Mokers

Mokers (Moderator) – June 12, 2013 10:57AM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin

ARL (Moderator) – June 12, 2013 07:45PM Reply Quote
It's HODOR TIME!!

(With apologies to MC Hammer)

porruka (Admin) – June 13, 2013 08:48PM Reply Quote

Thoughts? Someone was looking for a reason to be offended, and lo! found one.

James DeBenedetti – June 13, 2013 09:32PM Reply Quote
io9
Aamer Rahman is a standup comic...

porruka (Admin) – June 13, 2013 09:54PM Reply Quote
I saw that, James, and if I was taken, I was, but if it was satire, it was either so terrible as to be worthless or so well done that Swift has come again.

No, after re-reading it, I'd have to say that I think the fact that the author is a comic is incidental.

porruka (Admin) – June 14, 2013 06:17PM Reply Quote
So, those who have been following the books (physically, not the plot): wtf is the deal with over 2 years from hardback to trade paperback release of ADwD? Have the books been selling that well since the show premiere that the pubs haven't felt the need to go "downmarket"? Have the digital sales (at nearly the same price) been so high that they're just milking that? I don't get this one...

ARL (Moderator) – June 14, 2013 08:01PM Reply Quote
porruka
So, those who have been following the books (physically, not the plot): wtf is the deal with over 2 years from hardback to trade paperback release of ADwD? Have the books been selling that well since the show premiere that the pubs haven't felt the need to go "downmarket"? Have the digital sales (at nearly the same price) been so high that they're just milking that? I don't get this one...

Short answer is yes, sales have been that good they can keep the price up. You can get ADWD in paperback if you buy the five (or 8 book set if book 3 and book 5 is split into two...) book set and now I think of it, they have been pimping book five split into two parts -- they're "cheap" but you do have to buy two of em. Book 6 is supposedly slated to come out in 2014 but I'll believe that when I see it...

porruka (Admin) – June 14, 2013 09:32PM Reply Quote
I may be missing something (or several somethings) but I'm not seeing trade paperback being available here until the end of October.

ARL (Moderator) – June 15, 2013 07:47AM Reply Quote
Really? They've been out in Australia for 6 months at least

This bookstore's not the cheapest but it has ADWD for $17.99

http://www.qbd.com.au/product/9780006486114-A_Song_Of_Ice_And_Fire_05_A_Dance_with_Dragons_by_George_R_R_Martin.htm

Other places would do it for maybe $13-$15 or so...

(which is CHEAP in Australia..)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2013 07:54AM by Tony Leggett.

bahamut – June 28, 2013 10:52PM Reply Quote
Eh? A Song of Fire AND Ice?

John Willoughby – July 03, 2013 11:59PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
Game-of-American-Thrones.jpg

El Jeffe – July 04, 2013 07:03AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
so many comments.

Mokers (Moderator) – July 06, 2013 12:34PM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
I would actually say Bush is Tywin because no matter who is actually in the iron throne, his name always comes up...

ARL (Moderator) – July 07, 2013 08:57PM Reply Quote
Mokers
I would actually say Bush is Tywin because no matter who is actually in the iron throne, his name always comes up...

What on earth has Charles Dance ever done to offend you?

ARL (Moderator) – February 02, 2014 11:39PM Reply Quote
HBO to Australian viewers, drop your strides and grab your ankles...

Fuck you HBO, from now on I'm pirating GOT without a shred of guilt. I'll buy the DVDs when you eventually bother to release them here... (Season 3 isnt released on DVD until Feb 19th - about 6 weeks prior to Season 4).

I was going to instead get a season pass for Archer Vice but it comes with ads - bugger that!

Are they trying to encourage piracy?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2014 11:44PM by Tony Leggett.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login