Spork Boards

King's Landing...

ARL (Moderator) – April 16, 2013 03:09AM Reply Quote
Winter is coming ... and probably so are spoilers (which is why we use the spoiler tags like this one):

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2013 03:10AM by Tony Leggett.

ARL (Moderator) – April 30, 2016 07:15PM Reply Quote
To make it easier, it helps if you remember his original name: Siddig El Tahir El Fadil El Siddig Abderahman Mohammed Ahmed Abdel Karim El Mahdi (not, that's not made up)

ARL (Moderator) – May 02, 2016 06:29AM Reply Quote
OMG. Good Episode.

ddt – May 02, 2016 10:17AM Reply Quote
Why are the primary characters such drips (aside from Peter Dinklage; I'll get to why I used the actor's name), while the secondary and tertiary ones so much fun and so much more interesting? It's as though the camera's and the plot's focus puts so much weight, in the sense of narrative and "you SHOULD CARE", on them that the actors and the show just can't sustain any life. If I watch -- and I'm enough of an OCD completist to do so, even though I couldn't tell you if I think it matters who does what to which plot -- it's due to moments with Hodor, Brienne, the would-be scholar at the Knight's Watch who is sweet and could be smart, the older guy who was excited to learn to read from that poor child -- people like that. Perhaps it's that the actors have enough freedom, w/o the aforementioned burden, to give a little life in moments and not act like a satire of BBC regency dramas. Or maybe we can see these characters actually wanting something, to do something with their lives, things that are possibly just within or without of their reach; we can relate to that. I mean, "I want to see the great books" or "I want to have a connection with this person I admire" or even "I want to be happy with this person I found" is the stuff of drama.

ddt

ARL (Moderator) – May 02, 2016 06:57PM Reply Quote
Can you be more specific about which major characters are irking you?

ddt – May 02, 2016 10:31PM Reply Quote
Not irking, I just can't find a reason to care. Jon Snow is... I mean, does he have a personality or cause? The Mother of Dragons has about three facial expressions and this "generations will be repaid" but why does she do anything moment to moment? I can't even remember who the other top people are.

ddt

ARL (Moderator) – May 12, 2016 09:29PM Reply Quote
I did like this week's collection of memes:

http://uproxx.com/tv/game-of-thrones-memes-season-six-episode-three-game-of-lulz/5/

Also, I'm a big fan of Raven On's GOT recaps (aka The Mother of Kittens) - so much so that I even chipped in a few $$ on her patreon thingy.

Ironic that I'm paying for recaps, but not for the show itself. (Take note, Foxtel/HBO).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2016 09:32PM by ARL.

ARL (Moderator) – May 12, 2016 09:39PM Reply Quote
DPBD!

I like the idea behind this kickstarter...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1833467562/fixing-dorne

ddt – May 14, 2016 10:01PM Reply Quote
I was trying to look up Film Crit Hulk on Fire Walk With Me (long story) but came across him in Man of Steel and (bear with me) I think his points on character versus plot go towards explaining the lack of interest I find in the A plots of GoT but the interest I have in the smaller characters -- they seem to be actual characters, with needs and wants and conflicts and stakes. "The faaaaaate of the worrrrrld" or "who willll ruuuuuuullle" is plot, not story.

http://pastebin.com/n0BnRBu1

ddt

ARL (Moderator) – May 16, 2016 07:09AM Reply Quote
That is all!

ddt – May 22, 2016 07:29PM Reply Quote
Richard E. mfing Grant.

THAT is all.

ddt

El Jeffe – May 22, 2016 09:01PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
The whole episode was the best in my opinion in a long time.

ddt – May 22, 2016 09:25PM Reply Quote
I would watch a spinoff of that theatre troupe. And maybe Breanne doing standup.

ddt

El Jeffe – May 22, 2016 09:32PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
sans WARTS, please.

ARL (Moderator) – May 23, 2016 09:03AM Reply Quote
So, wart-free is ok with you, Jeffe? :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2016 09:10AM by ARL.

ARL (Moderator) – May 23, 2016 09:23AM Reply Quote

El Jeffe – May 23, 2016 09:01PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I think Hodor's storyline was brilliantly delivered. Just brilliant.

porruka (Admin) – May 23, 2016 09:05PM Reply Quote
Failure is pre-greatness.
El Jeffe
I think Hodor's storyline was brilliantly delivered. Just brilliant.

I saw through random social media (FB probably) that since the first book was published in 1996, the event in question took 20 (actual) YEARS to be resolved (and still hasn't in any of the published material). For all his inability to get word to paper, that's a pretty impressive level of forward detail.

johnny k – May 24, 2016 10:21PM Reply Quote
Yeah, so good. Tightly written, a lot of acting wrung out of one word.

(This whole episode makes it official: Bran has replaced Sansa at the top of the Worst Stark rankings. Hell, she might have dropped a few spots now.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2016 10:22PM by johnny k.

porruka (Admin) – May 24, 2016 10:29PM Reply Quote
Failure is pre-greatness.
johnny k
Yeah, so good. Tightly written, a lot of acting wrung out of one word.

(This whole episode makes it official: Bran has replaced Sansa at the top of the Worst Stark rankings. Hell, she might have dropped a few spots now.)

johnny k – May 25, 2016 12:01AM Reply Quote
I think I agree with all those points. Though for her, I'll give her points regardless because instead of a fairytale princess she's now acting like a Stark. You're in a GRRM book, you're going to die, but at least stay true to the end.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login