Spork Boards

King's Landing...

ARL (Moderator) – April 16, 2013 03:09AM Reply Quote
Winter is coming ... and probably so are spoilers (which is why we use the spoiler tags like this one):

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2013 03:10AM by Tony Leggett.

El Jeffe – May 23, 2015 03:45PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I do not expect GOTs to be anything BUT exploitative. So, that scene seemed par for the course, frankly.
I would enjoy GOTs so much more with less in-your-face gore and lascivious scenes. But, that's just me. I think BSG is/was perfect for me.

ddt – May 23, 2015 05:06PM Reply Quote
I'd love a comedy supercut -- pretty much the only reason I watch is because some of the actors really seem to be having fun.

Alternately, I'd love (and apologies: I never learned the character names) a chat show along the lines of "Dwarf and Eunuch: Live and On the Road". Those two were great when stuck in a box together. They could alternately interview and insult guests, and complain about their fates.

ddt

ARL (Moderator) – May 23, 2015 08:01PM Reply Quote
Tyrion, Varys and Lady Olenna have certainly saved this season so far.

There have been some great zingers this year. My favourite thus far is Tyrion's: "Long sullen silences and the occasional punch in the mouth - the Mormont way..."

johnny k – May 23, 2015 10:20PM Reply Quote
That's one of the best, agreed. Need a little levity to wash down the angsty Mormont. Of course "The dwarf lives until we find a cock merchant" stands alone.

I was going to ask for a Cersei drinking super cut and found http://www.cinemablend.com/television/Game-Thrones-Supercut-Remind-You-Tyrion-Raging-Alcoholism-67841.html ... I don't think Tyrion beats her out by much.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2015 10:28PM by johnny k.

ARL (Moderator) – May 24, 2015 01:16AM Reply Quote
Ha! That supercut was awesome.

"I am a person who drinks. People who drink need to keep drinking!"

porruka (Admin) – May 25, 2015 09:54AM Reply Quote
Failure is pre-greatness.
And the winner for most questionable phrasing in a GoT recap goes to Salon.... in discussing this week's, ep, they make a reference to last weeks "event". It probably makes me a horrible person but I chuckled at the way the author presented the point. The surrounding context helps reinforce the greater legitimate point (one of time to appropriately deal with the ramifications of character actions) but that doesn't help this sentence be any less amusing; if anything, it's oddly synchronous given many of the complaints some people have about the show.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2015 09:55AM by porruka.

johnny k – May 25, 2015 10:31PM Reply Quote
Lot of shit happened in this episode. Good stuff. Looks like this season will more or less line up with the end of Book 5. That's a lot of marches and boat rides cut out. It is going to be annoying if Season 6 comes out before the book.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2015 10:32PM by johnny k.

ARL (Moderator) – May 26, 2015 06:59AM Reply Quote
Obviously the shows writers got annoyed with GRRM's suggestion to pad book 4 & 5 into three seasons. But I am stunned it looks like they're culling it down to one. I'm assuming they'd like to wrap the show up in seven seasons.

There are a lot of interesting story lines and plot threads that they're abandoning (Lady Stoneface, the Greyjoys) that could've made interesting viewing but on the plus side a lot of really boring meandering pointless cruft has also been cut.

It also has the drawback of certain plot points being dumbed down (for e.g. with Cersei) and clumsy. Apparently George Martin had very little to do with season five or much less than in previous years and frankly I think it shows

Overall I guess it's a good thing the faster pacing. If the show had followed books four and five remotely faithfully the show would've jumped the shark.

El Jeffe – May 26, 2015 10:41AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I can't comment on book vs show... but the skinning and gore of the slave fighting that I can do without.

ddt – May 26, 2015 12:35PM Reply Quote
I generally respect Atwell (regular blogger at Lawyers Guns and Money, and who wrote about that episode for Salon), but even at my casual glances it seemed the blonde guy was intentionally disabling the fighters, not killing them -- Atwell seemed to miss that point. (Now, whether it was to demonstrate his "Look, I'm so good I don't even need to TRY to stop you", or out of compassion, or faking either to impress his not-so-secret crush, I can't say.)

ddt

ARL (Moderator) – May 26, 2015 07:10PM Reply Quote
Oh, and I never thought I'd say this, but that episode had the most gratuitous "Look! Boobs! Because, boobs!" scene yet.

ARL (Moderator) – June 02, 2015 07:57PM Reply Quote
DPBD!

ddt, by "blonde guy" are you talking about Jorah, aka Ser Friendzone?

On a tangent, about this weeks episode...

El Jeffe – June 02, 2015 08:06PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
i listen/ed to Cast of Kings and learned that last bit and told/taught wifey, too.
good ep. Less sex and gore, even though it was a battle.

ARL (Moderator) – June 03, 2015 06:41PM Reply Quote

bahamut – June 05, 2015 12:29AM Reply Quote
Yeah, I can't imagine the last couple of books done "properly" in the show. It'd be like Mad Men, c. 2 years ago.

My sense is that because of Arya, Thommen, Bran (WHERE is he? Ok, he's a tree root, but still), (maybe) Sansa, and even the missing (from book and movie… is he hanging out with Peggy's kid??) Rickon, we have a problem with actors getting old if the show drags too far… 

ARL (Moderator) – June 05, 2015 10:46PM Reply Quote
Ooh, and apparent book/show spoiler:

ARL (Moderator) – June 08, 2015 04:53AM Reply Quote
Terribly dull that episode, no?

ddt – June 08, 2015 09:26AM Reply Quote
Sam should run the joint.

ddt

bahamut – June 08, 2015 01:13PM Reply Quote
Wow! Dragon!!!

ARL (Moderator) – June 08, 2015 08:32PM Reply Quote
Drogon, technically...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login