Spork Boards

King's Landing...

ARL (Moderator) – April 16, 2013 03:09AM Reply Quote
Winter is coming ... and probably so are spoilers (which is why we use the spoiler tags like this one):

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2013 03:10AM by Tony Leggett.

ARL (Moderator) – June 09, 2014 02:26AM Reply Quote
bahamut
Sorry to disagree but, the Silmarillion was unreadable.

So is The Odyssey and The Iliad, but they tell fantastic stories of mythology...

Mokers (Moderator) – June 09, 2014 01:42PM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin

ARL (Moderator) – June 09, 2014 08:16PM Reply Quote
I loved that bit with Sam & Pyp

Pyp (firing a crossbow): "I got one! Right through the heart!"

Sam (reloading a crossbow): Excellent! So is it over then?"

Pyp: "Um, no..."

Sam (passing Pyp another crossbow): "Well, here you go then."

El Jeffe – June 09, 2014 09:19PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I think this was my most enjoyable episode. I guess I can do without all the other areas/characters.

I LIKE THIS

Jeff Cooper – June 11, 2014 09:54PM Reply Quote
As a law prof, I especially enjoyed Sam's parsing of the oath. Samwell Tarly, textualist. If I were teaching Statutory Interpretation this summer, I'd base a class around that scene.

ddt – June 11, 2014 10:21PM Reply Quote
Yeah, not that I know of what you speak, but I got a lot of the same sense (more from a critical-reading standpoint) from that.

By the way, if you want proof that Peter Dinklage can, in fact, phone it in, check out the trailers and game footage for Destiny. I mean, could he _sound_ less engaged with the content?

ddt

ARL (Moderator) – June 11, 2014 10:59PM Reply Quote
Jeff Cooper
As a law prof, I especially enjoyed Sam's parsing of the oath. Samwell Tarly, textualist. If I were teaching Statutory Interpretation this summer, I'd base a class around that scene.

A case of "know the law so you can work your way around it?"

I've been told that in contracts in particular a lot of stock gets put in the difference between "can" "shall" "must" "will" "may" etc etc

El Jeffe – June 12, 2014 07:56AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
The only law is the law of blood. ;)

Jeff Cooper – June 16, 2014 10:02AM Reply Quote
Tywin Lannister's slow burns. Charles Dance is awesome.

ARL (Moderator) – June 16, 2014 06:30PM Reply Quote
Good finale but I'm upset about one thing:

bahamut – June 18, 2014 06:18PM Reply Quote
I guess. I never was a fan of her... Even when she was one of the living.

johnny k – June 18, 2014 08:30PM Reply Quote
Yeah, for not having any Stark blood, she sure made some bad decisions. Then she got even more self-centered.

ARL (Moderator) – June 18, 2014 08:50PM Reply Quote
Aside from Cersei & Jaime Lannister, she was probably the one most responsible for starting the whole damn war...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2014 08:50PM by Tony Leggett.

bahamut – June 18, 2014 10:51PM Reply Quote
Yup. there you go.

ARL (Moderator) – July 06, 2014 03:33AM Reply Quote
Big Biffy milkshake for Apple, Foxtel and HBO...

http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/computers/gadgets-on-the-go/why-isnt-game-of-thrones-on-apples-itunes-20140618-zsd96.html

I could look into Quickflix (which apparently now has it) but I want to play it on my AppleTV dammit!

johnny k – July 10, 2014 07:50AM Reply Quote
I support his message wholeheartedly. Unless he's somehow charging credit cards for Book 6, he owes us zero. Stephen King is lucky(?) that The Dark Tower series wasn't as popular relative to his other books, else he'd be getting the same shit.

ARL (Moderator) – July 10, 2014 07:05PM Reply Quote
Oh, I agree he owes us zero - but his "FU" to people who think he isn't going to finish the books rings pretty hollow given how little he has reportedly worked on Book 6.

It's not coming out this year, it's not coming out next year - it might come out in 2016. He's certainly no "50 pages a day" Isaac Asimov.

I personally don't think Book 6 will ever come out (forget about book 7) as he has far too many other distractions going on.

That's his prerogative and in his place I'd probably do the same. Dark musty office with pages and manuscripts or shiny movie set and "ooh boobies!" - I know what I'd pick.

But just don't talk things up or get pissy with people pointing out a simple fact. As he likes to say in his books (repeatedly in Book 5) "words are wind".

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login