Spork Boards

oh my shins!

bahamut's Avatar Picture bahamut – June 23, 2012 09:42AM Reply Quote
Shouldn't we have a thread dedicated to Kickstarter?

ddt – August 23, 2013 01:51PM Reply Quote
...just a shout out to JohnnyK for his forbearance; he's just done a few metric tonnes of work and innovation, with much to do, and still puts up with our "Yeah, but have you thought of X?" and "It'd be great if you also did Y" comments.

ddt

johnny k – August 24, 2013 11:09AM Reply Quote
You, and everyone on Kickstarter! Thank you. I really enjoy this part of Kickstarter, where it's not quite set in stone yet, so backer feedback can be incorporated and everyone bonds over being involved in the process. The heavy-duty Coal Range we announced yesterday is a great example - some serious grillers told us they wanted protection against the flareups that have literally burned them in the past. So we scrambled to do R&D for higher-temp silicone and cables that can take a blowtorch (watch for the testing video) and are moisture-proof — unlike the shitty braided metal cables that most grilling thermometers use, and our prototype cables feel 1000% better.

ddt – August 24, 2013 02:22PM Reply Quote
That's an interesting insight about Kickstarter. It suddenly occurred to me that a zero-fund project I've had that's languishing (that P's been giving some dev insight on) could possibly be Kickstarted; I was worried about its zero-return nature for backers, and going out of pocket to provide, dunno, t-shirts or something, but I hadn't considered that people might want to give direction.

ddt

Mokers (Moderator) – October 14, 2014 01:54PM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin

ARL (Moderator) – October 14, 2014 08:12PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!

Cloudscout – October 17, 2014 12:54PM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
Just got an email from Kickstarter that they have suspended this project.

Hello,
This is a message from Kickstarter’s Trust & Safety team. We’re writing to notify you that the anonabox : a Tor hardware router (Suspended) project has been suspended, and your $51.00 USD pledge has been canceled. A review of the project uncovered evidence that it broke Kickstarter's rules. We may suspend projects when they demonstrate one or more of the following:
Offering purchased items and claiming to have made them yourself
Presenting someone else’s work as your own
Misrepresenting or failing to disclose relevant facts about the project or its creator
Accordingly, all funding has been stopped and backers will not be charged for their pledges. No further action is required on your part.
We take the integrity of the Kickstarter system very seriously. We only suspend projects when we find strong evidence that they are misrepresenting themselves or otherwise violating the letter or spirit of Kickstarter's rules. As a policy, we do not offer comment on project suspensions beyond what is stated in this message.
Regards,
Kickstarter Trust & Safety

Cloudscout – October 17, 2014 12:56PM Reply Quote
DPBD

I guess there has been some controversy brewing for days. Haven't finished reading this WP story but I'll share the link so we can all read it together:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-intersect/wp/2014/10/16/this-debunked-kickstarter-project-may-be-the-biggest-crowdfounding-fail-to-date/

johnny k – October 17, 2014 02:11PM Reply Quote
Yeah, two-fold: misrepresenting others' hardware as his own (you can't put existing hardware with your own software on KS), and worse, presenting it as plug-and-play anonymity when it used a root password common across all devices + an open WiFi network + plus suggesting total security without behavior changes. Y'all saw what happened with Whisper this week, right?

johnny k – October 27, 2014 01:50AM Reply Quote
My friend, an engineer, has just put up a nerdy project on Kickstarter — an 8-bit music sequencer/controller that you can hack. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2081544495/lo-fi-ses-hackable-8-bit-chiptunes-instrument

He's been obsessed with PCB-based game controllers for a while, but now folding in a retro music instrument and Arduino compatibility. A good buy for the right kind of nerd.

ddt – October 27, 2014 12:58PM Reply Quote
Does it come preloaded with chiptune classics? (Actually, having the equivalent of sheet music so people could easily get their sequencer to play stuff they like would be cool.)

ddt

johnny k – October 27, 2014 01:22PM Reply Quote
That's a good idea - I'll mention it to him. That would make it more accessible to novices.

ddt – October 27, 2014 01:54PM Reply Quote
I call it "radical empathy" when I promote this method to clients. But it can really just be masking my "I, like your potential user, may have no frigging clue what you're on about".

ddt

Mokers (Moderator) – May 29, 2015 12:13PM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin

bahamut – November 08, 2015 08:26PM Reply Quote
I REALLY want this. https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/czur-scanner-build-your-own-digital-library#/

Any thoughts? I am even more afraid of indiegogo than of kickstarter. I thought it was kickstarter without any safeguards whatsover (fuck you Gleb!).

johnny k – November 09, 2015 12:55AM Reply Quote
I wouldn't. Aside from generally being cautious about crowdfunded hardware, and especially on IndieGoGo, it's got an all-Chinese team with no big names on their resumes. That means they may have experience making things, but not at the level that you as an American consumer will demand. Given that the software experience has to be top-notch for this to be useable, it's unlikely that any small team will make it satisfactorily.

Cloudscout – December 11, 2015 07:05PM Reply Quote
Just under 6 hours left in the Mystery Science Theater 3000 Kickstarter.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mst3k/bringbackmst3k

Mokers (Moderator) – February 15, 2016 12:19PM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
I like to, er, pimp a lot of the Dartmouth-created kickstarters and indiegogos:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/lioness-vibrator-improve-your-sexual-experiences--2#/

ARL (Moderator) – February 15, 2016 07:48PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Referred that link onto a friend who works um, in that industry...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login