Spork Boards

WAR!

Robert Taylor – December 12, 2007 03:15PM Reply Quote
Well, at least B?K! got a head start.

John Willoughby – August 16, 2018 02:00PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support

John Willoughby – May 07, 2019 04:28PM Reply Quote
Are we gearing up for a fight with Iran? Pompeo makes a surprise trip to Iraq just as a carrier strike group is diverted to the region. Bolton has always wanted a fight there. If we start sending more troops to the region, that's will be the sign that it's going to be a big one. Otherwise, cruise missiles and airstrikes, I'd guess.

Gotta keep Iran from doing what they weren't doing before we scuttled the treaty keeping them from doing it.

Still very possible that we are just going to issue strong statements, but I worry with this president and this NSA advisor.

El Jeffe – May 08, 2019 05:41AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Said long ago in thread. NO.
We will never take military/boots on ground, action against Iran in my lifetime.

John Willoughby – May 08, 2019 09:32AM Reply Quote
El Jeffe
Said long ago in thread. NO.
We will never take military/boots on ground, action against Iran in my lifetime.

May it be so.

Iran has announced that they are withdrawing from several parts of the nuclear treaty that still exists with some of the European countries.

ddt – May 08, 2019 10:57AM Reply Quote
Is there a past Trump tweet about that? Of course there's a past Trump tweet about that!

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/141604554855825408

ddt

John Willoughby – May 13, 2019 12:00PM Reply Quote
Patriot missile system and amphibious support vessel deployed to Middle East, in addition to carrier strike group. Pompeo flies to Brussels to confer with European leaders about Iran.

Meanwhile, sabotage of four oil tankers near the UAE.

Apropos of nothing, ever notice that, due to geography, Iran can essentially close the Persian Gulf with the deployment of thousands of cheap mines? Fun thing to think about.

Hijinks probably to ensue.

porruka (Admin) – May 13, 2019 12:16PM Reply Quote
New year. Same me. Proceed accordingly.
John Willoughby
[...]

Apropos of nothing, ever notice that, due to geography, Iran can essentially close the Persian Gulf with the deployment of thousands of cheap mines? Fun thing to think about.

Hijinks probably to ensue.

Precedent for hijinks
and prior hijinks

johnny k – May 13, 2019 01:31PM Reply Quote
Can't find it online now, but an NPR discussion last week mentioned that the saber rattling near Iran was really just smoke, as the carrier had been scheduled to be in the area anyway, and they've actually pulled more military units from the area over the last several months, even counting the new movements in.

John Willoughby – May 13, 2019 02:49PM Reply Quote
Maybe. But I don't think that Iran is going to terminate its relationship with Hezballah or dismantle its nuclear facilities for saber-rattling. And, as I said before, Iran has been John Bolton's Big Bad for a long time.

Thank goodness that the strong, liberal, western democracy that we established in Iraq will counterbalance Iranian power.

El Jeffe – May 13, 2019 06:47PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
kind of war related. definitely war related. ok, actual war.

found this animated/graphic to be very interesting on the eastern front.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wu3p7dxrhl8

tliet – May 13, 2019 10:20PM Reply Quote
> And, as I said before, Iran has been John Bolton's Big Bad for a long time.

NYT's the Daily's analysis of yesterday was essentially concluding the same thing. John Bolton's ideas about 'regime change' are causing what's happening right now. So, don't be surprised if the US essentially ends up in a similar clusterfuck. The specifically called John Bolton together with the situation a combustible combination.

John Willoughby – May 14, 2019 08:06AM Reply Quote

John Willoughby – May 14, 2019 11:17AM Reply Quote
As I originally said, if we send large numbers of troops to the Middle East it is a sign that we are committed to war. It is far too expensive to send 120,000 troops to the other side of the world as a gesture.

Now the article does not say that this will happen; it could easily be a contingency plan or even deliberate saber-rattling to impress Iran with our intent. But if those troops are sent then the die will be cast.

As an aside, if we end up in conflict with Iran it may free up Russia to take care of some unfinished business in Ukraine and/or the Baltics. I wonder what Putin and Trump talk about in their closed meetings and on their phone calls... (this is just paranoia, not anything that I have any reason to expect. Other than Putin's realpolitik.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2019 11:24AM by John Willoughby.

tliet – May 14, 2019 12:21PM Reply Quote
I'd say, them dems should hurry up with those impeachment procedures, as this will be a major distraction from anything happening in the WH.

John Willoughby – May 15, 2019 10:20AM Reply Quote
British general denies any increase in threat from Iran. In general, NATO partners seem skeptical of US motives. I can't imagine why.

John Willoughby – May 23, 2019 10:16AM Reply Quote
Ten thousand more troops to the Middle East, for "defense" against Iran. Not that Iran was doing anything* before we started inciting violence. Not enough troops for any kind of land-based assault on Iran. My guess would be that we're building up to air and cruise missile strikes, and the increase in forces is to deal with the inevitable retaliation. If we're feeling particularly like setting the whole region on fire, we may cooperate with Israeli forces. Should get Congressional investigations out of the headlines.

*Anything overt. They are supporting Hesbollah and Yemen insurgents.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2019 10:17AM by John Willoughby.

tliet – May 23, 2019 02:25PM Reply Quote
I like your positive thinking John.

ddt – May 23, 2019 02:57PM Reply Quote
Perpetual ray of sunshine, our Mr. Willoughby.

Not so much dancing as skulking in the dark,

ddt

John Willoughby – May 23, 2019 04:30PM Reply Quote
I'm sorry, I must have missed all of the positive aspects of military adventurism.

tliet – May 23, 2019 05:11PM Reply Quote
What, you don't see the upside of spending a trillion on spreading the love of democracy by throwing firebombs? There must be something wrong with you.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login