Spork Boards

WAR!

Robert Taylor – December 12, 2007 03:15PM Reply Quote
Well, at least B?K! got a head start.

johnny k – March 22, 2017 11:12PM Reply Quote
Is it new? Is terrorism a major cause of death? I mean, other than in countries where we conduct the War on it?

ARL (Moderator) – March 23, 2017 01:58AM Reply Quote
johnny k
Is it new?

Well, since ISIS hung out their hat there seems to have been an uptick - just when it seemed Al Qeada was running out of steam. But I guess no, it's not strictly "new," per se...

Is terrorism a major cause of death?

Absolutely not in any western country. More likely to be hit be lightning (when does the "war on Odin/Thor" begin?)

I mean, other than in countries where we conduct the War on it?

I am totally aware that over 95% of the victims of terrorism are people from predominantly Muslim countries who the west is or has been bombing/meddling-with.

And yes, relatively speaking, it's a #firstworldproblem and/or a #whitewhine to be complaining that the "new normal" is an uptick in western countries from maybe 2% to 3%.

(With those "stats", I'm talking about my flawed and subjective perception - I haven't googled any proper stats)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2017 01:58AM by ARL.

John Willoughby – March 23, 2017 10:28AM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
ARL
(when does the "war on Odin/Thor" begin?)

Well, first there has to be a year-long winter so, given our current environmental issues, I assume that we will have to have a nuclear war first to get a nuclear winter going. But I'm sure that the administration's proactive on that.

The frost and fire giants are probably open for recruits, if you're looking to join up.

John Willoughby – April 04, 2017 07:18PM Reply Quote
So, it looks like our administrations new "Do what we say or we'll nuke you" flavor of diplomacy is getting its first real tryout on North Korea. Bets on combat starting soon?

ddt – April 06, 2017 09:42PM Reply Quote
So, uh. Hey.

Willoughby, stop with the prophecies, k?

ddt

johnny k – April 06, 2017 10:33PM Reply Quote
The most disheartening thing is that this is where we see bipartisanship. Joy, what new measures will they ram through now because it's unpatriotic to oppose someone Presidential enough to fire missiles?

El Jeffe – April 07, 2017 06:00AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I was surprised by this news. Having not read/heard anything about the 'chemical' attacks, and not wanting to go see any news on it (still), the trigger/premise of this attack last night made this very very surprising.

John Willoughby – April 07, 2017 10:14AM Reply Quote
I'm just getting ticked off at the progression, starting in the Vietnam era, cutting Congress out of any role in military action. It's limited to post-combat applause, now. The executive is too powerful, in this.

El Jeffe – April 07, 2017 10:43AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
agreed. was just on audio call with guy in Delhi, India and mentioned this sentiment.

ddt – April 07, 2017 11:27AM Reply Quote
I wonder if Trump hadn't had Xi there (at his private property, raking in OUR TAX DOLLARS for security and everything), he wouldn't have felt the need to swing his military dick so hard.

ddt

John Willoughby – April 07, 2017 01:49PM Reply Quote
I'll bet that Trump is paying his own resort, with federal dollars, for rooms and services for his guests.

ddt – April 07, 2017 02:53PM Reply Quote
Oh, that's known. And we are paying tax dollars to Trump for the security, transport, etc., to keep Melania in NYC, as well as moving everyone to Maralago.

Grifter in chief.

I don't know why the right web sites like RedState or Townhall aren't all over that, since they were rabid about their tax dollars being spent on school lunches or health care. Nah, that's not true -- I know why: they hate anything they think is liberal, so they'll ignore anything from someone who is against liberals.

ddt

El Jeffe – April 11, 2017 08:58AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
So, what does everyone think of North Korea?
As an aside, my dad was in the group of ships (fleet? not sure of the correct term) that fired the first volleys into Korea. This was at the end of his Navy Career, having started after Pearl Harbor (enlisted or UPPED after the attack). Brothers were in for Vietnam (era).

I actually think NK is a bigger concern than ME (Syria, et al).
But curious if you think just leave it alone, try something more/else in ways of diplomacy, etc etc...
Not to even mention Iran ... yet....

ddt – April 11, 2017 11:10AM Reply Quote
I cannot recommend Suki Kim's "Without You, There Is No Us" about North Korea: http://www.powells.com/book/without-you-there-is-no-us-my-time-with-the-sons-of-north-koreas-elite-9780307720665/62-0

ddt

John Willoughby – April 11, 2017 11:16AM Reply Quote
North Korea has been fortifying since the Korean War ended. They have been digging massive underground installations, pouring concrete on an epic scale, and relentlessly indoctrinating the people to hate and fear the US. Any kind of a ground war would be a quagmire that could last a decade and would certainly produce more casualties than the US has seen since WW2. Any kind of aerial attack would likely be of limited effectiveness, due to the entrenchment of important installations unless a "decapitation" strike against the leadership could succeed. North Korea might be able to nuke Seoul, and could certainly hit it with massive conventional artillery strikes. A nuclear attack on Japan (probably by submarine or freighter, as their missiles can't carry nukes yet), or even the west coast of the US would not be impossible.

China would be hard put to stand by idly if the US hits North Korea hard, and a lesser strike by the US wouldn't permanently change anything.

On the other hand, it's hard not to see the road that they're currently walking leading to some kind of war anyway, perhaps when they DO have missiles carrying nuclear weapons.

I honestly don't think there's a good solution to the NK issue, save for a coup, assassination, or internal revolution. And even those could lead to desperate moves.

IMHO, of course.

ddt – April 11, 2017 11:58AM Reply Quote
I mean HIGHLY ENOUGH. Read Kim's book. Like, today.

ddt

John Willoughby – April 11, 2017 02:31PM Reply Quote

johnny k – April 11, 2017 03:03PM Reply Quote
Why isn't North Korea China's problem? Is it because we want to maintain influence in the area?

porruka (Admin) – April 11, 2017 04:03PM Reply Quote
The cat has your pipe.
johnny k
Why isn't North Korea China's problem? Is it because we want to maintain influence in the area?

Strictly speaking, South Korea and Japan at the very least.

We're obligated by treaty for Japan: "The treaty established that any attack against Japan or the United States perpetrated within Japanese territorial administration would be dangerous to the respective countries' own peace and safety. It requires both countries to act to meet the common danger." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Mutual_Cooperation_and_Security_between_the_United_States_and_Japan - sorry for the quick Wikipedia link, limited time.

I thought it was more informal but there's a treaty involved for SK as well: http://avalon.law.yale.edu/20th_century/kor001.asp

El Jeffe – April 11, 2017 05:22PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I have begun consuming this work.

ddt
I mean HIGHLY ENOUGH. Read Kim's book. Like, today.

ddt

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login