Spork Boards

Vaya con IOS

Madaracs's Avatar Picture Madaracs – January 05, 2012 02:33PM Reply Quote
It's not just for iPhone anymore. This time it's personal.

A new thread to discuss all things IOS.

iPhone, iPod and iPad...

Ron Burns – February 01, 2018 08:04PM Reply Quote
"We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation." Voltaire
AR has an already established foothold in the area of maintenance of complex hardware systems. My ageing brain is failing to deliver a date - early nineties I think - when I was told about an RAF AR system used for UK based support to aircraft technicians working on jets in Hong Kong. Seems to me that there is the potential for big, fast returns what the Trade thinks... And of course HUDs are AR systems.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2018 08:05PM by Ron Burns.

Cloudscout – February 01, 2018 10:02PM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
I can't believe that HUD isn't standard in cars at this point. The technology isn't expensive.

ARL (Moderator) – February 02, 2018 12:36AM Reply Quote
Cloudscout
I can't believe that HUD isn't standard in cars at this point. The technology isn't expensive.

With a target & cross-hairs! Pew-pew-pew!

Cloudscout – February 02, 2018 12:44AM Reply Quote
Why has the tablet segment been so neglected by Apple and the various Android manufacturers for the last two years?

dharlow – February 02, 2018 12:52AM Reply Quote
I love my iPad Pro for taking notes.

El Jeffe – February 02, 2018 05:35AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
AR is very inclusive by nature. :)

John Willoughby – February 02, 2018 04:10PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
Cloudscout
Why has the tablet segment been so neglected by Apple and the various Android manufacturers for the last two years?

I think because they are not generally used and, once one has one, the drive to upgrade is nothing like the drive to upgrade a phone. Sales drive investment.

I love my iPad for reading PDF's, comics and Kindle books, and watching movies or TV, but I'll more often use my phone for Kindle books and a TV for movies or shows. There is not a very strong use-case for me owning an iPad at all.

Cloudscout – February 02, 2018 06:44PM Reply Quote
I think that's definitely the largest factor. Things are really bad on the Android side now. Back in 2013, you could get the 2nd gen Nexus 7 tablet with a 7 inch screen and 1920x1200 display for $230. I can't find a single Android tablet for sale now with better than 1280x800 resolution until you jump up to the 10 inch form factor.

Cloudscout – February 04, 2018 01:44PM Reply Quote
I hate non-obvious UI features. Sometimes when I launch an app on my iPad I see the name of another app displayed momentarily at the top left corner of my screen where it usually just says "iPad". What is that?

porruka (Admin) – February 04, 2018 01:50PM Reply Quote
The cat has your pipe.
Cloudscout
I hate non-obvious UI features. Sometimes when I launch an app on my iPad I see the name of another app displayed momentarily at the top left corner of my screen where it usually just says "iPad". What is that?

iOS 10 introduced a "meta back" button (my name). Tapping that app name takes you directly back into that previous app. It's only a "status bar" height and it's placed in such a way that (as small as it is) it's easy to hit instead of the navigation bar back button (when an app has that too).

Cloudscout – February 04, 2018 01:59PM Reply Quote
Is it completely arbitrary? If I launch Chrome, it might flash Outlook up there. If I launch Facebook or might show App Store. The name doesn't stay there for a consistent period of time either. Rarely is it there long enough for me to tap it. I don't get it.

johnny k – February 04, 2018 02:19PM Reply Quote
No - it appears when you go directly from one app to another. If you click on a link in Outlook that opens in Chrome, then you'll see Outlook up there. Not sure why it'd be disappearing for you.
Pretty handy for email, especially for people who didn't know about the edge swipe to switch apps. It should have a little left arrow next to it as well.

Cloudscout – February 04, 2018 02:29PM Reply Quote
Yeah, I think what I'm seeing isn't what is supposed to be happening. I understand now what the feature is supposed to be. If I go into an app's details page in the App Store and click "open" it launches the app and displays that back arrow next to "App Store" in the status bar. It stays there, too, and I can tap it to return to the App Store. If I launch other apps directly from the home screen,though, it will often display the name of a different app up there with the same back arrow icon but it only appears for a second or less before returning to just saying "iPad" and even if I'm quick enough to tap before it goes away, nothing happens.

johnny k – February 04, 2018 05:30PM Reply Quote
I'm guessing that may be the system screenshotting the app for future use as a placeholder to make app load look quicker.

John Willoughby – February 04, 2018 05:54PM Reply Quote

El Jeffe – February 04, 2018 06:24PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
My gps stopped working. not sure if it's os related. appointment tomorrow.

John Willoughby – February 04, 2018 09:55PM Reply Quote
I know that the Air Force was running some exercises that were going to result in possible GPS outages over a large area of the Southwest. Maybe the affected area was larger than expected? No doubt it will make the news, if true.

Cloudscout – February 04, 2018 10:00PM Reply Quote
I realized that I haven't restarted this thing since I bought it on Monday. I just restarted it now and that odd behavior seems to be gone.

Mokers (Moderator) – February 05, 2018 12:38AM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
I upgraded to iPhone 8 and have been really happy. It's an incremental update but everything is really fast. Screen is nice and the battery lasts.The wireless charging is really nice and is compatible with my wife's Samsung as well.

John Willoughby – February 05, 2018 01:20PM Reply Quote
Yes, I am relatively happy with the iPhone 8 now. At first, there were long pauses to unlock, but later updates seem to have fixed that. Its Bluetooth doesn't work as well with my car, but that happens every time I upgrade to a phone with a later version of Bluetooth. I would still trade my immobile home button for an old-style physical button, but it's not a big deal. It will be interesting to see which traits of the 8 persist into future generations.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login