Spork Boards

Vaya con IOS

Madaracs's Avatar Picture Madaracs – January 05, 2012 02:33PM Reply Quote
It's not just for iPhone anymore. This time it's personal.

A new thread to discuss all things IOS.

iPhone, iPod and iPad...

John Willoughby – September 21, 2014 01:03AM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
Tom, I did have to do a complete wipe and restore on my iOS devices. iTunes is still wonky, though, reporting 40 GB free one moment, 3 GB free as soon as I select a 30 MB file to be added. Reporting the Ken Burns Civil War documentary synced, but not showing up in the Video app. I think that it's 8.0 wonkiness, and will get better in 8.0.1, but it is maddening.

bahamut – September 21, 2014 04:12PM Reply Quote
Thanks, Tom. I was at the Maker Faire on Saturday with my new 6 and noted it both very hot and that it burned the battery quick. Was concerned.

Noticing that Verizon LTE is slow and spotty. Probably lots of people restoring from iCloud, getting new apps, and stuff. Still kind of weird.

Love the 6 otherwise though. Much easier to read and lots of 8's features make me much happier.

tomierna (Admin) – September 21, 2014 06:17PM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
John: did you do it using recovery mode, or did you just use one of the buttons in iTunes?

If the former, it sounds like a hardware problem. If the latter, you really need to use recovery mode: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1808

John Willoughby – September 21, 2014 08:09PM Reply Quote
Thanks, Tom, I forgot about recovery mode. What makes you think it is a corruption issue, rather than wonky iTunes/iOS 8? (Genuinely curious, not arguing!) I know that the turning on of iTunes Match is happening to a lot of people. I have things more-or-less functional, with the exception of weird sync issues with the iPad Air. Maybe I'll stand off and nuke it from orbit just to see if the problems go away.

tomierna (Admin) – September 21, 2014 08:25PM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
Any time I see size and capacity issues it makes me think filesystem corruption.

John Willoughby – September 22, 2014 11:49AM Reply Quote
Well, spend all night doing the recovery mode restore on my iPad. It still timed out on every 3-5 app installs which made an hour-long process take three hours, but it DID seem to fix the random storage capacity/invisible synced video issues. Thanks, Tom.

I am still pissed that (on my systems, at least) there is not a graceful way to turn off iTunes Match and re-sync local content to the device.

dharlow – September 22, 2014 12:10PM Reply Quote
Just dealt with the iTunes Match for prepping my iPhone for a long flight what a pain, took 8 hours to sort out.

porruka (Admin) – September 22, 2014 12:31PM Reply Quote
Failure is pre-greatness.
A followup on ATV7 (which I guess is the iOS 8 of ATVs) -- seems traditional streaming radio can't keep a connection for more than an hour (the times vary, usually much less than 60 minutes).

I tried to compare between stations and with iTunes Radio (just to see if it was inherent to the box or specific provider) and except for the annoying "Are you still listening to iTunes Radio?" dialog, iTR kept the stream going, each of the separate (as far as I can tell they weren't different faces on the same provider) traditional streaming radio stations dropped.

Anyone else experience something similar?

Roger – September 22, 2014 04:32PM Reply Quote
The new AppleTV software has been way flakier for me in general, for sure. Lots more drops with AirPlay, and seems like a little more trouble with MLB.tv streaming around the upgrade (though that could always be MLB's own special brand of shittiness). I'm looking forward to the hopefully forthcoming bug-fix release.

ddt – September 22, 2014 09:14PM Reply Quote
What can be done about this? Asking for a friend: https://twitter.com/cwodtke/status/514235382222036992/photo/1

ddt

John Willoughby – September 22, 2014 10:21PM Reply Quote
If that were one of my devices, I would probably assume that my data was lost. As a complete guess, maybe an encrypted backup with a bad password? A larger capacity backup restoring to an iPad with too little physical storage? It seems like iTunes would more accurately report the former, and it sounds like she's restoring to the same device that she backed up from.

This looks relevant, though. No idea how good it is.

There are other tools out there, too.

El Jeffe – September 23, 2014 06:51PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
listening to maccast today. mentioned reports of iPad mini (like MINE) not playing well with iOS 8. No substantiating info; just hearsay. But yeah, perhaps I should NOT have upgraded.

ARL (Moderator) – September 24, 2014 03:01AM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Upgrade late, upgrade last!

ARL (Moderator) – September 25, 2014 08:31PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
OK, my mother's iPad got caught with the iOS8.0.1 bork-grade. It's saying nuke in recovery mode.

Any way to save the photos etc on the machine?

John Willoughby – September 25, 2014 08:47PM Reply Quote
8.0.2 is out in the US... it may fix things in place if she can install over WiFi or directly from a PC/Mac.

John Willoughby – September 25, 2014 08:48PM Reply Quote
I wouldn't use Restore mode unless there is no other way.

John Willoughby – September 25, 2014 08:51PM Reply Quote
Can she back up directly to a PC or Mac, or over WiFi to iCloud?

El Jeffe – October 03, 2014 01:06PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I personally back up while connected to mac. then to cloud. then upgrade.

bahamut – October 04, 2014 07:41PM Reply Quote
Got an iPad to replace my son's old iPad. Backed up to his Mac three times. Everything seemed fine. Got the new iPad. Half the apps restored, the other half didn't even appear. Why? WTF? Don't get it.

ddt – October 04, 2014 07:42PM Reply Quote
Anyone else get a notification on their phone's App Store app that there are updates? But go to it, and there are no updates? Or certain apps have their icons stuck in the "loading/installing" state? iOS 8.0.2, iPhone 5S.

ddt

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login