Spork Boards

Vaya con IOS

Madaracs's Avatar Picture Madaracs – January 05, 2012 02:33PM Reply Quote
It's not just for iPhone anymore. This time it's personal.

A new thread to discuss all things IOS.

iPhone, iPod and iPad...

El Jeffe – March 17, 2013 07:41AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I'll need help understanding what you mean by
classic slashdot
and
beowulf cluster

At least my NUMBER ONE use for this type of thing works... 1PASSWORD.

Conclave - nope.
The Pope App - nope.

Any other ideas? Out of the nearly 1,000,000 apps, there's gotta be some good (non-game) app that works.

I have EIGHT Mophie cases (somewhere) too

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2013 07:41AM by El Jeffe.

John Willoughby – March 17, 2013 12:22PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
johnny k
Funny, I was just thinking about all the single tasks you could repurpose old iOS devices for. Thinking of doing a Kickstarter for one.

What, this isn't enough?

johnny k – March 17, 2013 01:55PM Reply Quote
I'm not so fancy that we've given our own animals iPads, let alone other people's animals. More along the lines of iPhone + simple piece of hardware + app = new tool. GPS hardware was replaced by iPhone + GPS chip + Map app. Goes back to a talk I attended where they were making firmware for old phones (like, Symbian at best), named ReWare I think, that would do things like use the ambient light sensor to tell you how much sun your plants are getting. The phone being so throwaway you'd just leave it outside in your garden.

El Jeffe – March 17, 2013 04:27PM Reply Quote
What a journey.

ddt – March 18, 2013 03:34PM Reply Quote
Johnny, I've long thought that old iOS devices could be great for party/distributed music storing/streaming/playing. They all have local storage limits, networking, visual interfaces, speakers. Seems like that'd be great for something that combines the Galaxy S 4's mutli-speaker play and the (botched and thousand-step) promise of the Nexus Q:

"If you’re having friends over, and they, too, have Android phones, and they, too, have bought songs from Google’s music store, then they can add their own songs to your Q’s queue.

Sounds interesting in theory. In practice, there’s a lot of spontaneity-killing setup. You have to go into Settings to turn on the feature. Then you have to invite your friend to participate by — get this — sending an e-mail message. Then your friend has to download the Nexus Q app.

If you or the friend then taps the name of a song in your online Google account, it starts playing immediately, rather than being added to the queue as you’d expect. A Google rep explained to me that you’re not supposed to tap a song to add it to the playlist; you have to use a tiny pop-up menu to add it. More bafflement."

ddt

Roger – March 23, 2013 11:53AM Reply Quote
Dilger goes off the deep end about Android: or, what happens when you mistake fanboy sniping for tech-industry analysis.

John Willoughby – March 23, 2013 03:52PM Reply Quote
Yeah, I kind of thought the same thing when I saw that. Comes off as sour grapes, at best.

El Jeffe – March 23, 2013 05:02PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I like that article. Should expound it into book.

John Willoughby – April 04, 2013 11:26AM Reply Quote
This must be why my ringtone keeps alternating between "Secret Agent Man" and "Smuggler's Blues."

ddt – April 04, 2013 12:19PM Reply Quote
Puts me in mind of one of the better mashups (though it also works well with the images in the original airing): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DQkScJ94qg

ddt

El Jeffe – April 04, 2013 03:52PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Those things hurt my brain and watching Pitch Perfect last night where they try to intentionally introduce that technique was not fun.

porruka (Admin) – June 10, 2013 02:24PM Reply Quote
The cat has your pipe.
Since I don't slavishly watch other platforms, I don't know which of the iOS 7 things shown today are original and which are "inspired" by others, but I like what I see, and I loved the digs at skeumorphism, though I wonder if a few of them were simply petty jabs.

I'm definitely jazzed to create apps for it and to see what the 1500 API additions cover.

johnny k – June 10, 2013 06:28PM Reply Quote
Look at the Multitasking "in action" thing at http://www.apple.com/ios/ios7/ ... that one is all WebOS. Which is open source, so it's cool.

Dave Loudin – June 10, 2013 06:32PM Reply Quote
iOS 6 was not enough to get me to upgrade from the original iPad. iOS 7, OTOH, will.

El Jeffe – June 10, 2013 07:06PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
johnny k
Look at the Multitasking "in action" thing at http://www.apple.com/ios/ios7/ ... that one is all WebOS. Which is open source, so it's cool.

That's actually the UI part I dislike a lot in WebOS. (We have Palm Pixi at moment)

ddt – June 14, 2013 12:34AM Reply Quote
That was incredibly fast.

http://www.teehanlax.com/tools/ios7/

ddt

ddt – June 16, 2013 10:28PM Reply Quote

El Jeffe – June 17, 2013 04:33AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
saw that last night. It will be different.

ddt – June 17, 2013 09:19AM Reply Quote
You mean the final iOS7 look on the iPad will be different from the screen shots in that link? Or that iOS7 on iPad will be different from it on iPhone?

ddt

Jeff Cooper – June 17, 2013 09:29AM Reply Quote
I'll need to see more, but so far I like what I see (assuming those screenshots are genuine).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login